spiderpower100
Member
- Joined
- Dec 2, 2009
- Messages
- 109
- Reaction score
- 0
I am planning to buy either a customized windows CPU, PS4 or steam machine (SM) to serve as my gaming machine. Whichever one I choose will be hooked up to my 40" TV.
However, all 3 options are very different so i will list down my thoughts here and hope the experienced bros here can share your ideas as well.
Option 1: desktop is versatile, can be used as advanced media center for movies (compared to ps4 and SM). It is also more upgradeable than the ps4, though not sure about SM. Allows access to my Steam library. More powerful components for the same price (traditionally - see option 3). Can buy immediately.
Option 2: PS4 currently has promotions. Unique game library (vs desktop and SM). Can double as media center but limited functions. Sleek design + smaller footprint than desktop. Can buy immediately.
Option 3: SM - no promotions, not available. But potentially cheaper than desktop for the same performance. Better utilization of my Steam library with SteamOS. May be able to run linux programs. Potentially revolutionary control system.
Thanks for reading! So now I am in a dilemma about what to buy. A PS4 will be the cheapest but not when considering the games I have to buy for it. Both desktop and SM will have access to games I already own, not to mention the often large discounts on PC games. But should I wait for SM then? I also read that Aftershock plans to introduce desktop systems (see link below). Heard good things about their laptops so feel like waiting to see what they offer in desktops.
I will appreciate greatly any ideas/thoughts/opinions that you have. Thanks!
However, all 3 options are very different so i will list down my thoughts here and hope the experienced bros here can share your ideas as well.

Option 1: desktop is versatile, can be used as advanced media center for movies (compared to ps4 and SM). It is also more upgradeable than the ps4, though not sure about SM. Allows access to my Steam library. More powerful components for the same price (traditionally - see option 3). Can buy immediately.
Option 2: PS4 currently has promotions. Unique game library (vs desktop and SM). Can double as media center but limited functions. Sleek design + smaller footprint than desktop. Can buy immediately.
Option 3: SM - no promotions, not available. But potentially cheaper than desktop for the same performance. Better utilization of my Steam library with SteamOS. May be able to run linux programs. Potentially revolutionary control system.
Thanks for reading! So now I am in a dilemma about what to buy. A PS4 will be the cheapest but not when considering the games I have to buy for it. Both desktop and SM will have access to games I already own, not to mention the often large discounts on PC games. But should I wait for SM then? I also read that Aftershock plans to introduce desktop systems (see link below). Heard good things about their laptops so feel like waiting to see what they offer in desktops.
I will appreciate greatly any ideas/thoughts/opinions that you have. Thanks!


