does usb cable affect charging speed?

mayhem_sci

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2005
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Hi all I have a galaxy s 8.4. Traded it in for my tab 7.7 which was an awesome device. Had to by all the accessories over again as the tab s uses a micro usb port. Anyway, I bought a cable (the original was really short) to charge but I found that it is very slow - one night only 50%! Is my observation accurate? How do I know whether any cable I buy is "right"?
 

stemcell

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2012
Messages
6,099
Reaction score
0
50 % charge time per night isn't right. If it's doesn't happen on your original cable, that might be the new cable problem.

Diff cable, pricing wise play a factor in quality build of these cables
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Yes, with cheap cables charging can get very slow.

I bought a Capdase cable, 1.5m from Challenger for $9.90. Charges fine at full speed. Tried a 3m cable and it charges at half the speed, still respectable compared to very cheap cables.
 

tjkb230

Master Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
3,728
Reaction score
75
Yes, cable plays a role in determining the charging speed.

Short cable doesn't mean it will charge faster
Long cable doesn't mean it will charge slower
 

mayhem_sci

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2005
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Thanks all, I will look for the cables recommended here. It's not so much about buying original or not, I just need a longer cable that will charge correctly at a reasonable price.
 

bravia26s

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2007
Messages
776
Reaction score
0
I believe in what you paid you got
Not only in speed charging
Also the difference in quality
 

denilson

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2004
Messages
623
Reaction score
4
Thanks all, I will look for the cables recommended here. It's not so much about buying original or not, I just need a longer cable that will charge correctly at a reasonable price.

the docomo one is only 4 bucks on qoo10..:s22:
 

tjkb230

Master Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
3,728
Reaction score
75
If possible, not only get docomo one, but also can get the LG microusb cable (shipped with models from G2 onwards), it's currently ranked no. 1 as a general cable unofficially according to the tests done by some forumers in Taiwan.

They used some devices to check the voltage at the input of the cable and output of the cable and then give the voltage drop per unit length.

Currently this cable has the best score, followed by the docomo one which is already very very good. But of course docomo is longer and has the 2 ferrite beads at both ends, while LG one is just normal cable.

These two cables are considered the 20AWG ones. Samsung original cable is at 23AWG. The lower the number, the higher the current it is able to carry across.
 

denilson

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2004
Messages
623
Reaction score
4
If possible, not only get docomo one, but also can get the LG microusb cable (shipped with models from G2 onwards), it's currently ranked no. 1 as a general cable unofficially according to the tests done by some forumers in Taiwan.

They used some devices to check the voltage at the input of the cable and output of the cable and then give the voltage drop per unit length.

Currently this cable has the best score, followed by the docomo one which is already very very good. But of course docomo is longer and has the 2 ferrite beads at both ends, while LG one is just normal cable.

These two cables are considered the 20AWG ones. Samsung original cable is at 23AWG. The lower the number, the higher the current it is able to carry across.

Do you know anywhere to reliably get the LG cable? looking to get a few

thanks!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top