Dual citizenship for LO

Ycheow

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I would like to seek for advise for parents here that about the dual citizenship for the kids. Both my Husband and I are the Malaysian holding Singapore PR. We have two kids, first one is a 2 yo girl which is born in Malaysia, while the second one is a 8 mos boy which is born in Singapore. I am thinking to convert my citizenship to Singapore while my Husband will remain as Malaysian. I am very confuse that as I heard people are saying that for my boy which born in Singapore can get the dual citizenship if I converted to Singaporean already. But how about my 2yo girl born in Malaysia? Can she get the dual citizenship as well if I have converted my citizenship ? TIA
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
if U are singaporean, kids born in SG or overseas also can be Singapore.
since U are PR not singaporean when U have your son, even he is born in SG. he is not entitle to singapore citizenship.

if U become citizen and wish to apply for your child. see below. Do not, Singapore do not allow dual. Your child have to decide at 21 which nationality. At 18 or 19 needs to serve NS.
https://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/Singapore-citizenship-How-to-apply.html
 

Matjes

Banned
Joined
Mar 21, 2016
Messages
4,759
Reaction score
1,269
Hi,

I would like to seek for advise for parents here that about the dual citizenship for the kids. Both my Husband and I are the Malaysian holding Singapore PR. We have two kids, first one is a 2 yo girl which is born in Malaysia, while the second one is a 8 mos boy which is born in Singapore. I am thinking to convert my citizenship to Singapore while my Husband will remain as Malaysian. I am very confuse that as I heard people are saying that for my boy which born in Singapore can get the dual citizenship if I converted to Singaporean already. But how about my 2yo girl born in Malaysia? Can she get the dual citizenship as well if I have converted my citizenship ? TIA

Make up your mind Where your allegiance should be. You don't marry your husband while keeping a relationship with your ex bf.
 

invigo79

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
65,920
Reaction score
11,408
Hi,

I would like to seek for advise for parents here that about the dual citizenship for the kids. Both my Husband and I are the Malaysian holding Singapore PR. We have two kids, first one is a 2 yo girl which is born in Malaysia, while the second one is a 8 mos boy which is born in Singapore. I am thinking to convert my citizenship to Singapore while my Husband will remain as Malaysian. I am very confuse that as I heard people are saying that for my boy which born in Singapore can get the dual citizenship if I converted to Singaporean already. But how about my 2yo girl born in Malaysia? Can she get the dual citizenship as well if I have converted my citizenship ? TIA
I will tell you first, your chance of getting the citizenship is low. Its easier if your husband applied for the citizenship together with the kids.

Sent from Home using GAGT
 

starry_starry_night

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2016
Messages
67,337
Reaction score
15,465
Hi,

I would like to seek for advise for parents here that about the dual citizenship for the kids. Both my Husband and I are the Malaysian holding Singapore PR. We have two kids, first one is a 2 yo girl which is born in Malaysia, while the second one is a 8 mos boy which is born in Singapore. I am thinking to convert my citizenship to Singapore while my Husband will remain as Malaysian. I am very confuse that as I heard people are saying that for my boy which born in Singapore can get the dual citizenship if I converted to Singaporean already. But how about my 2yo girl born in Malaysia? Can she get the dual citizenship as well if I have converted my citizenship ? TIA


Buzz off we are full.


How come you all jiuhu kias voted for 新政府 already still leeching here? No confidence in your 老馬 林冠英? So much for toppling najib and calling out for 變天, in the end also gong jiaoway one :s22:
 

yoongf

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2000
Messages
5,723
Reaction score
991
Both parents are not citizens when kids are born. Thus, whether born in sg or not is not relevant. Both kids are registered as malaysian citizens already. SG do not allow dual citizenship.
Recently got so many cases of such dual citizenship cases going to court /jail/barred from sg ...simply because the parents did not fully understand the implications of breaking dual citizenship law.
 

forever_alone

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
41,209
Reaction score
61
Why don’t go back to save your country and still coming here to leach ?
What happen to the we are MALAYSIAN?
******* hypocrite:(
 

LAMtopia

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2015
Messages
11,247
Reaction score
2,183
Hi Ycheow,

Ignore the trolls over here. My best advice is to just apply for Singapore citizenship for your son. I’m guessing you must be Chinese. Singapore citizenship would be better for him than Malaysian citizenship in terms of opportunities in the future. But if you are Malay, then Malaysian citizenship better.

Please don’t try to game the system with dual citizenship. Singapore does not allow dual citizenship. So just stick to one citizenship. If you intend to raise your son in SG, he will benefit from the education system and opportunities in the future.

As some other commentators mentioned, you will need to apply as a family. Getting approval for a single person who is part of a family unit will be difficult.

In Malaysia, you will always be a second class citizen. Even though Dr M has won the elections recently, he has doubled down on Bumiputera rights. My advice is that you just renounce your Malaysian citizenship and migrate to Singapore. There are some xenophobes here but most Singaporeans will not treat you any differently as long as you contribute positively to society and your children do not default on NS.

Also please make sure your son serves his NS obligations and do not default.

Hope this helps. I look forward to your family and your son contirbuting to our society
 
Last edited:

likevegetable

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2017
Messages
48,144
Reaction score
7,302
Hi,

I would like to seek for advise for parents here that about the dual citizenship for the kids. Both my Husband and I are the Malaysian holding Singapore PR. We have two kids, first one is a 2 yo girl which is born in Malaysia, while the second one is a 8 mos boy which is born in Singapore. I am thinking to convert my citizenship to Singapore while my Husband will remain as Malaysian. I am very confuse that as I heard people are saying that for my boy which born in Singapore can get the dual citizenship if I converted to Singaporean already. But how about my 2yo girl born in Malaysia? Can she get the dual citizenship as well if I have converted my citizenship ? TIA

You may wan to ask in singaporeexpats or ask ICA directly.
Especially your questions on applying together with your children.
 

coloumbiaGames

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2008
Messages
16,502
Reaction score
332
Hi,

I would like to seek for advise for parents here that about the dual citizenship for the kids. Both my Husband and I are the Malaysian holding Singapore PR. We have two kids, first one is a 2 yo girl which is born in Malaysia, while the second one is a 8 mos boy which is born in Singapore. I am thinking to convert my citizenship to Singapore while my Husband will remain as Malaysian. I am very confuse that as I heard people are saying that for my boy which born in Singapore can get the dual citizenship if I converted to Singaporean already. But how about my 2yo girl born in Malaysia? Can she get the dual citizenship as well if I have converted my citizenship ? TIA
Your chance are slim if you are not applying as a family.
ICA may even question you that.
 

Lemon_Tea

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
1,007
Hi,

I would like to seek for advise for parents here that about the dual citizenship for the kids. Both my Husband and I are the Malaysian holding Singapore PR. We have two kids, first one is a 2 yo girl which is born in Malaysia, while the second one is a 8 mos boy which is born in Singapore. I am thinking to convert my citizenship to Singapore while my Husband will remain as Malaysian. I am very confuse that as I heard people are saying that for my boy which born in Singapore can get the dual citizenship if I converted to Singaporean already. But how about my 2yo girl born in Malaysia? Can she get the dual citizenship as well if I have converted my citizenship ? TIA

You will need to apply the citizenship together as a family. You will probably not get your citizenship unless your husband is applying as well.

When you apply tje citizenship together as a family, your kids will be awarded the citizenship along with you and your husband.

Dual citizenship as in your kids will not have to renouce their citizenship until the age of 21. By 21 years old, they will have to make a choice of either being a Malaysian or Singaporean.

As for yoir boy, once he got the citizenship, he will be expected to serve National Service at 18 years old.

Hope it helps.

Fellow ex-Malaysian
 

mooseolly

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
33,381
Reaction score
16,232
This may not be relevant to the topic but I have to let future naturalised Singapore citizen appreciate and not try to game the system. SG give citizenship for free imo. My malaysian brother in law apply citizenship together with his son and daughter who are 5 and 6 years old excluding his wife who remains as a Malaysian PR. And guess what, the 3 got their Singapore citizenship in less than a year. The 2 children are now enjoying the benefits of both worlds holding on to dual citizenship. They were born in Malaysia and my brother in law only inccured about RM300 per baby delivery fee whereas Singaporeans have to suck thumb and inccur at least S$3k per baby delivery fees. The 2 children are raised in Malaysia and the family enjoyed the cheap cost of living there. When they got bigger they moved to Singapore and benefit from the subsidized school fees. They also went back to Malaysia frequently to enjoy the nominal RM1 medical checkup fee in Malaysia. My brother in law has also profited RM200,000 from selling a Malaysia public housing which he bought as a single in Malaysia which is not possible for Singaporean to do the same way as HDB do not allow single to purchase flat before the age of 35. Wtih this profit he eventually bought a 5 room flat in Singapore and is now enjoying the utilities and gst rebate. He also did not serve NS and used the 2 extra years of his life to earn more money. Till now he still do not know how to sing Majulah Singapura.
I would say he is in a very good position benefitting from both countries. He understand that both his children will need to choose nationality at the age of 21 and say Malaysia has no prospect, and so decided to apply for Singapore citizenship. He explicitly say his children can use Singapore as a stepping stone to move to other 'better' country like Australia in future.
Therefore Malaysian has an edge compared to true blue Singaporean. So please do not try to abuse the system.
 

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
5,623
Reaction score
7
This may not be relevant to the topic but I have to let future naturalised Singapore citizen appreciate and not try to game the system. SG give citizenship for free imo. My malaysian brother in law apply citizenship together with his son and daughter who are 5 and 6 years old excluding his wife who remains as a Malaysian PR. And guess what, the 3 got their Singapore citizenship in less than a year. The 2 children are now enjoying the benefits of both worlds holding on to dual citizenship. They were born in Malaysia and my brother in law only inccured about RM300 per baby delivery fee whereas Singaporeans have to suck thumb and inccur at least S$3k per baby delivery fees. The 2 children are raised in Malaysia and the family enjoyed the cheap cost of living there. When they got bigger they moved to Singapore and benefit from the subsidized school fees. They also went back to Malaysia frequently to enjoy the nominal RM1 medical checkup fee in Malaysia. My brother in law has also profited RM200,000 from selling a Malaysia public housing which he bought as a single in Malaysia which is not possible for Singaporean to do the same way as HDB do not allow single to purchase flat before the age of 35. Wtih this profit he eventually bought a 5 room flat in Singapore and is now enjoying the utilities and gst rebate. He also did not serve NS and used the 2 extra years of his life to earn more money. Till now he still do not know how to sing Majulah Singapura.
I would say he is in a very good position benefitting from both countries. He understand that both his children will need to choose nationality at the age of 21 and say Malaysia has no prospect, and so decided to apply for Singapore citizenship. He explicitly say his children can use Singapore as a stepping stone to move to other 'better' country like Australia in future.
Therefore Malaysian has an edge compared to true blue Singaporean. So please do not try to abuse the system.

so those saying husband and wife should apply together to stand better chance was not true? Well, pity your nephew....he can thank his dad when he is serving his NS in the future.
 

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2011
Messages
11,951
Reaction score
1,329
so those saying husband and wife should apply together to stand better chance was not true? Well, pity your nephew....he can thank his dad when he is serving his NS in the future.
Very hard to say cos ICA doesn't publish any official criteria for approval, nor any statistics of approval / rejection rate. Even application rejection reason not provided. So end up whatever we hear can be both "true" and "untrue" depending on who we hear from.

Having said that I guess it's quite accurate that Malaysian Chinese have a more loose criteria for PR / SC approvals than other races / nationalities ...
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top