EDMW Knife Collectors

mmmmaded

Reaction score
Are you 18 oready?

Hahhaaha good joke bro!

Doesn't matter. Got my fix from KW. Happy now.

Waiting on a Landi too! RSK...

I only have direct experience with the brands I noted below. Exception is a 20 year old Al Mar. Lockback folder. Light. Indestructible.

I can definitely tell that the China-made Spydies are lower in quality. The fit and finish is definitely lacking when i compare to made in USA Kershaws. The Kershaws in my mind, are also beautiful to look at and to use. Having said that, the ergonomics on the Spydies are excellent... and what more can you ask for in a USD30 product? It's a beater and its meant to be carried and used.

A Benchmade... hmmm... maybe a little down the road. Axis lock sounds good. The wife is being supportive, but I better not push my luck. LOL.

kaapuii

Reaction score
It's nice to see all the Bros back here. Wondering where hv all of u gone.

Anyway, I've been addicted to Spydercos recently.
This is under the influence of Lonerider Bro. I hv to say the ergonomics of the
Spydies r impressive. I like the VG-10 blades. So dam sharp.
And this is an expensive hobby man. Hahaha...

My next aim is to get a Lansky as recommended by Slayergut Bro.
I wanna learn hw to sharpen.
Next blade quest may be a Benchmade.
Slayergut: care to recommend what to begin with?
I mean nt too ex lah.

JinEmo

Reaction score
+1 on Knifeworks.com. I got my shipment in just under 2 weeks. Received today. Happy. Surrounded by new stuff.

As ground rules, less than 6 inch blade, no double edges, no automatics, no assisted opening, no balisongs. There are more rules, but you gotta read up on those...

It really depends on what you use your knives for... If its just paper and rope, coated blades are OK. If there's wood or cardboard or tougher material involved, your pretty black blade coating may wear out with use.

My sharpening setup is DMT with the aligner. I can't sharpen free hand for crap :( so I need a guided system.

bro Frozenboiboi's tastes in knives very expensive. heh heh. Benchmades... waaah.

If you don't mind some suggestions, Kershaw, Spyderco and CRKT make some pretty decent budget "beater" knives.

is there a link to the rules or something?
at first i thought it was 6inch overalls :s22::s22:
also, may i know wad this means ''no automatics, no assisted opening, no balisongs'' ? thanks alot:o

slayergut

Reaction score
It's nice to see all the Bros back here. Wondering where hv all of u gone.

Anyway, I've been addicted to Spydercos recently.
This is under the influence of Lonerider Bro. I hv to say the ergonomics of the
Spydies r impressive. I like the VG-10 blades. So dam sharp.
And this is an expensive hobby man. Hahaha...

My next aim is to get a Lansky as recommended by Slayergut Bro.
I wanna learn hw to sharpen.
Next blade quest may be a Benchmade.
Slayergut: care to recommend what to begin with?
I mean nt too ex lah.

Haha easyyy just go to the knifeworks, go benchmade > folders and buy the one you can't take your eyes off. and HOPE it's not gold class or something.
True thing bout spydercos though. Never held one my hand disagrees with. Even the bigger ones are comfy and secure.

For lansky, it's not super versatile especially if you need to sharpen bigger blades.. i used to just take the stone and hone the edges myself LOL.
But for learning about what type of edge u like. its way good :D

JinEmo

Reaction score
thinking of buying this 2 knives from knifeworks.com

SOG Access Card
sogaccesscard6195.jpg

Smith & Wesson Military Police, Gun Metal Aluminum Handle
smithwessonmilitarypoli.jpg

any comments? :o

Last edited:

mmmmaded

Reaction score
me ish peasant, no money buy expensive knives

All peasants should have a Svord Peasant Knife. A concept so old, it's new!

Bro kaapuii, you can also consider the DMT diafold magnaguide. I chose it because DMT (allegedly) makes the best diamond plates - correct me if I'm wrong. And you can use water (not oil to lubricate)

slayergut

Reaction score

Bro kaapuii, you can also consider the DMT diafold magnaguide. I chose it because DMT (allegedly) makes the best diamond plates - correct me if I'm wrong. And you can use water (not oil to lubricate)

Also not bad.around the same thing. but kinda wrong concept bro.the oil and water is not for lubrication. I cannot afford diamond ah. Only can use stones n leather....

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually there is hardly any need for a diamond stone as long as u strop or touch up your edge after use before it gets blunt. A few swipes and you should be good to go.

Frozenboiboi

Reaction score
Benchmade from knifeworks is really well priced. U can try benchmade melpardue axis lock. It's a popular lightweight knife from benchmade. For sharpener, i recommend spyderco sharpmaker :) if u're not so serious into sharpening then u can get those pre-angled pull thru carbide sharpener from benchmade.
Oh i love my spydero warrior! Hehehe

Frozenboiboi

Reaction score
Assisted knives not allowed.
Fixed blade 7-10inches erm.... can la, depend on who's on duty on that day. It also depends on how the knife looks like. Kabar usmc is 7'' but no problem getting it through. No double edged knives too.
I've never tried getting any knives above 8inches so i dont know what will happen

kaapuii

Reaction score

thanks bro. I will look into that.

kaapuii

Reaction score
Haha easyyy just go to the knifeworks, go benchmade > folders and buy the one you can't take your eyes off. and HOPE it's not gold class or something.
True thing bout spydercos though. Never held one my hand disagrees with. Even the bigger ones are comfy and secure.

For lansky, it's not super versatile especially if you need to sharpen bigger blades.. i used to just take the stone and hone the edges myself LOL.
But for learning about what type of edge u like. its way good :D

I find the Benchmade like dam ex leh. Bt i don own one so perhaps i can get 1 too. Hope wont stare at the one dat cost me a bomb.

Lonerider

Reaction score
I find the Benchmade like dam ex leh. Bt i don own one so perhaps i can get 1 too. Hope wont stare at the one dat cost me a bomb.

Some are but they do have a few affordable ones... The Pika and Mini-Pika, the Griptilians and a model 710 is a great first BM. You should set a price range... that way it'll be easier for us to recommend a knife to suit your budget. Actually almost all knives are affordable if you make a habit of saving up. It depends on your priorities I guess. If you saved say a $100 a month just for knives it's going to go a long way. Only difficult thing is to stay focused on getting just the knife you want instead of blowing your dough away on a different knife. Best time to buy is usually at the end of the year; that's when models get discontinued or are sold at a discounted price.

Last edited:

Lonerider

Reaction score
Benchmade from knifeworks is really well priced. U can try benchmade melpardue axis lock. It's a popular lightweight knife from benchmade. For sharpener, i recommend spyderco sharpmaker :) if u're not so serious into sharpening then u can get those pre-angled pull thru carbide sharpener from benchmade.
Oh i love my spydero warrior! Hehehe

I tend to avoid carbide sharpeners like the plague... The scratch patterns they leave on an edge is butt ugly.

Get a cheap black-grey combination stone for less than $5 for sharpening, get an old belt and pay $2 for green sharpening compound from Daiso (huge chunk of compound) for a strop so you can do periodic touch-ups and get some mineral oil from Ikea for rust prevention while keeping the blade food safe. All in all you should max out at $20. I try to keep to the KISS principle. Anyone can sharpen on a flat stone if they go slow and practice on a CHEAP knife. With the exception of recurves and serrations this set-up will be enough for most knives.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.