Europe or sea

geeeek

Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2010
Messages
419
Reaction score
0
If you have 3-4months to spare and also $6000+- would you rather do sea or europe or nz?
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
air ticket? local transportation? accommodation?

It would depend on where you go, what you are doing and what accommodations you are willing to put up with. Certainly, if you are going to be staying in London and Paris in 3-stars+ hotels and eat in restos you are not going to last a month.

But, stay in the cheaper countries, hostels, couchsurf, etc you can do it.

If the TS is a student then all the better!
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
I asked a friend who lives near Liverpool and has done a lot of travelling throughout Europe. I asked him if one can survive on 30 euros a day (SGD6000 - SGD1500 for flight to London and the remaining amount divided by 90 days then converted to euros) if one sticks with hostels.

He said that that amount was more than sufficient to cover accommodations but transport, food and attractions will raise the cost. I followed up by asking can you do it all on just the 30?

Waiting to see what his reply is.

I did Europe (Belgium, Holland, France, Monaco, Italy, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia) two decades ago and my budget was less than that. Did it almost all through youth hostels and cooking my own food sometimes.
 

swifix

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
1,253
Reaction score
9
you can do it even lesser if you do it with a tent. it is the accommodation take up alot of costs.
 

Some-one

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
52,831
Reaction score
3,805
you can do it even lesser if you do it with a tent. it is the accommodation take up alot of costs.
A bit sad that when going travelling have to sleep in tent. I thought travelling should be enjoyable? Anyway, to each his own...:)
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
I asked a friend who lives near Liverpool and has done a lot of travelling throughout Europe. I asked him if one can survive on 30 euros a day (SGD6000 - SGD1500 for flight to London and the remaining amount divided by 90 days then converted to euros) if one sticks with hostels.

He said that that amount was more than sufficient to cover accommodations but transport, food and attractions will raise the cost. I followed up by asking can you do it all on just the 30?

Waiting to see what his reply is.

Ok, my friend replied and said no. He said that, maybe in Eastern Europe it can be done with a combi of hostels and MacDonald's.

As for the suggestions of camping...might work but campgrounds are usually pretty far from city centers.

To TS...up the budget or go for SEA.
 

geeeek

Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2010
Messages
419
Reaction score
0
Of course the budget would not last 3month in europe. Probably be working in a farm or something over there to self-sustain for a longer period. Most like to last 1 1/2 month at most.

As for SEA, I would be able to travel overland Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia Budget would suffice for 3months +- Would be roughing it out in hostel and budget meals and an occasion cigar ;)

NZ would be another ideal destination on the condition that I am able to find 3 other friend to rent a caravan for economic of scale.
 

vogriphach

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
280
Reaction score
7
I did some rough calculation on the Europe one. SGD 6,000 would probably be enough if you do nothing (or only stick to purely free attractions / activities), don't travel around (or maybe resort to hitchhiking!), resort to couchsurfing and cook your own meals.

Quite coincidental I was just pondering over visiting Europe cheaply last weekend. Wrote about it here:

5 Simple Tips to Travel in Europe Cheaply

I think SGD 6k for 3 months for Europe it will be tough! For a budget trip alone, you'd need around EUR 35 per day or SGD 60 per day assuming you eat cheap meals, stay in hostels, go for one paid attraction per day and take at least 2 public transport rides a day. Multiply that by 90 days, and that amounts to over SGD 5,300 and doesn't even include the airfare to get there.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top