External HDD Data Loss

pigubaoza

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I recently had to force restart my mac while my external HDD is still connected, and as a result the HDD was unable to mount, after plugging in and out multiple times and trying to run repair in both Windows and Mac, I was able to get it to mount. However, a large amount of files have disappeared. The "used space" on the drive is still roughly the same amount, but the files do not show up. therefore, I think it has something to do with a problematic file table.

I searched online and tried to run chkdsk e: /r
However, it has been stuck at this for about 10 hours now
C:\Users\Keith>chkdsk e: /r
The type of the file system is exFAT.
Volume Serial Number is 55FD-14EA
Windows is verifying files and folders...
Volume label is Keith 3TB.​
Is it normal for it to be stuck there for that long? What can be done?

Thank you!
 

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
15,543
Reaction score
266
completely OT, I just have to say your username is awesome.
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
Look like bad sectors on drive, seek data recovery professional if your data is worth the money.
 

Louisloo

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
811
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I recently had to force restart my mac while my external HDD is still connected, and as a result the HDD was unable to mount, after plugging in and out multiple times and trying to run repair in both Windows and Mac, I was able to get it to mount. However, a large amount of files have disappeared. The "used space" on the drive is still roughly the same amount, but the files do not show up. therefore, I think it has something to do with a problematic file table.

I searched online and tried to run chkdsk e: /r
However, it has been stuck at this for about 10 hours now
C:\Users\Keith>chkdsk e: /r
The type of the file system is exFAT.
Volume Serial Number is 55FD-14EA
Windows is verifying files and folders...
Volume label is Keith 3TB.​
Is it normal for it to be stuck there for that long? What can be done?

Thank you!

It is normal for a full disk check to run from 10-24 hours as long as you can see that it is moving, though very slowly.

You must also put a fan to it so that it does not overheat. If it is running too hot, stop the chkdsk and wait for it to cool.

If more than 30 minutes and it does not move, then it is time to stop and seek professional help if the data is important.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top