External HDD or HDD Enclosure for Data Backup Only

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
Hi,

I am thinking of the following options to make a few copies of my data backup:
  1. Buy 2 or 4 Bays HDD Enclosure with Internal HDD
  2. Buy 2 to 4 External HDD
My purpose is just pure backup and I am not accessing my HDD for e.g. video streaming etc. I am also not considering cloud backup.

Which option is more value for money and lower risk in HDD failure?

Thank you.
 

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
8,130
Reaction score
400
Buai cheap cheap few external drive from amazon or whatever US online store
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,060
Reaction score
1,758
External HDD makes more sense. Double backup if your data warrants it.
 

DaNuker

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
937
Reaction score
123
Buying external HDD with enclosures is probably cheaper than buying the raw internal drives for large capacity 5400rpm drive especially if you don't intend to RAID/ZFS.

Asia has longer warranty period for these enclosures as well (3 yr vs 2 yr for basic desktop 5400 rpm HDD) so it is probably more value for money as well, just back two and copy to both.
 
Joined
Oct 26, 2011
Messages
48,310
Reaction score
7,450
Hi,

I am thinking of the following options to make a few copies of my data backup:
  1. Buy 2 or 4 Bays HDD Enclosure with Internal HDD
  2. Buy 2 to 4 External HDD
My purpose is just pure backup and I am not accessing my HDD for e.g. video streaming etc. I am also not considering cloud backup.

Which option is more value for money and lower risk in HDD failure?

Thank you.

Depends how big is your Backup.
Of cos directly buy External USB3 HDD will be cheaper.
External Enclosure at least $50+ for 2 Bay, $30+ for Single 3.5 HDD Dock
Only Merit for a 2 or 5 Bay External Enclosure is you can RAID1 or RAID5
Standalone Single External USB3 HDD you need to DIY copy yourself to Backup.
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
Depends how big is your Backup.
Of cos directly buy External USB3 HDD will be cheaper.
External Enclosure at least $50+ for 2 Bay, $30+ for Single 3.5 HDD Dock
Only Merit for a 2 or 5 Bay External Enclosure is you can RAID1 or RAID5
Standalone Single External USB3 HDD you need to DIY copy yourself to Backup.
I am looking at 5TB or more HDD as my current external 4TB HDD is full. I perform full monthly backup and try to keep for 3 months.
 
Joined
Oct 26, 2011
Messages
48,310
Reaction score
7,450
I am looking at 5TB or more HDD as my current external 4TB HDD is full. I perform full monthly backup and try to keep for 3 months.

External USB3 2.5 HDD max is 5TB.
Min you need to Backup 2x External Copies to be safe.

Want to > 5TB you need to buy 3.5 HDD which will require additional power source.
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
External USB3 2.5 HDD max is 5TB.
Min you need to Backup 2x External Copies to be safe.

Want to > 5TB you need to buy 3.5 HDD which will require additional power source.
Thanks. Yes, I did some research and aware of the maximum of 5TB for external 2.5" HDD.

That was the reason why I am considering of buying 2 or 4 Bays HDD Enclosure with internal HDD to take advantage of the RAID1 or RAID5 initially.
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,445
Reaction score
6,798
Hi,

I am thinking of the following options to make a few copies of my data backup:
  1. Buy 2 or 4 Bays HDD Enclosure with Internal HDD
  2. Buy 2 to 4 External HDD
My purpose is just pure backup and I am not accessing my HDD for e.g. video streaming etc. I am also not considering cloud backup.

Which option is more value for money and lower risk in HDD failure?

Thank you.
IMHO for your consideration.
Use USB3 2-Bay External HDD Docking station.
Compared with 2-Bay HDD Enclosure with internal HDDs, they are cheaper.
The pro for the latter is it is sleek looking and there is built-fan.
Heat is a HDD enemy and do take note that RAID is not backup.

External HDD have 2.5" and 3.5".
I find the < 1 TB are more robust.
When moving TBs of data, they will get hot thus I don't really want to rely on them.
My Seagate Backup Plus Hub 10TB gets too hot for my comfort - heat is a HDD enemy.

In additional, you can look into software like FreeFileSync that copies changed files.
That will reduce the time for backup.
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
IMHO for your consideration.
Use USB3 2-Bay External HDD Docking station.
Compared with 2-Bay HDD Enclosure with internal HDDs, they are cheaper.
The pro for the latter is it is sleek looking and there is built-fan.
Heat is a HDD enemy and do take note that RAID is not backup.

External HDD have 2.5" and 3.5".
I find the < 1 TB are more robust.
When moving TBs of data, they will get hot thus I don't really want to rely on them.
My Seagate Backup Plus Hub 10TB gets too hot for my comfort - heat is a HDD enemy.

In additional, you can look into software like FreeFileSync that copies changed files.
That will reduce the time for backup.

Do you mean this, 2.5 / 3.5 inch 2 Bay USB3.0 1 to 1 Clone Hard Drive Dock?
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,445
Reaction score
6,798
IMHO.
Yes, this kind of docks. I think there are 4-bays versions.
Just make sure they can support your desired hdd size.
I have actually have two connected with one spare.
They are actually faster than entry level NAS.

Other points to take note.
a) HDD comes in SMR and CMR. I will choose CMR over SMR.
b) 5400rpm drivers may run cooler.
c) Consider also WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk.
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
IMHO.
Yes, this kind of docks. I think there are 4-bays versions.
Just make sure they can support your desired hdd size.
I have actually have two connected with one spare.
They are actually faster than entry level NAS.

Other points to take note.
a) HDD comes in SMR and CMR. I will choose CMR over SMR.
b) 5400rpm drivers may run cooler.
c) Consider also WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk.
Isn't it more prone to dust?
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,445
Reaction score
6,798
Isn't it more prone to dust?
IMHO.
It is not a concern as it can be cleaned easily as it is external.
I would say enclosure based would be more prone to dust when there is ventilation fan.
If you want dust free, just cover it with customized acrylic box ?
The reason why I use this is because I am more concern about the temperature and also the noise the HDDs makes which is often an indication of failure.

P.S. IIRC, I have a HDDs that makes a lot of weird noises when accessing but SMART Test did not fail. 🤣
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
IMHO.
It is not a concern as it can be cleaned easily as it is external.
I would say enclosure based would be more prone to dust when there is ventilation fan.
If you want dust free, just cover it with customized acrylic box ?
The reason why I use this is because I am more concern about the temperature and also the noise the HDDs makes which is often an indication of failure.

P.S. IIRC, I have a HDDs that makes a lot of weird noises when accessing but SMART Test did not fail. 🤣
The only 4 or 5 Bay HDD Dock will be the following 2. I already got a 2 Bay HDD Dock.

2.5 / 3.5 inch 4 Bay USB3.0 1 to 3 Clone Hard Drive Dock
2.5 / 3.5 inch Hard Drive Enclosure with Duplicator
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,445
Reaction score
6,798

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
6,906
Reaction score
3,618
I am looking at 5TB or more HDD as my current external 4TB HDD is full. I perform full monthly backup and try to keep for 3 months.

Your meaning of "full" backup, is every month 4-5TB? Keep for 3 months meaning 4-5TB x 3? Or just backup the "incremental" data every month?

If it is the later, how much "incremental" data was written monthly? Incremental meaning the difference from the last backup.

If no need network access, I will go with those 3.5" (if need high capacity) 2-4 bay Orico enclosure/dock. Some even comes with build in mirror function.

Personally, I use a 2.5" dual bay Orico enclosure with 2x2TB SSD in mirror as transfer drive. Then write back to a backup computer/NAS when reach home/ofc.​
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
IMHO.
A 2-Bay dock is sufficient.
Actually depends on what you want to use.
As you move more data, it is actually time consuming.
Another 2-bay can be useful.
I have the 2 Bay Hard Drive Dock but it can be quite hot for me when it is running.

Your meaning of "full" backup, is every month 4-5TB? Keep for 3 months meaning 4-5TB x 3? Or just backup the "incremental" data every month?

If it is the later, how much "incremental" data was written monthly? Incremental meaning the difference from the last backup.

If no need network access, I will go with those 3.5" (if need high capacity) 2-4 bay Orico enclosure/dock. Some even comes with build in mirror function.

Personally, I use a 2.5" dual bay Orico enclosure with 2x2TB SSD in mirror as transfer drive. Then write back to a backup computer/NAS when reach home/ofc.​
Full backup of 1TB to 1.5TB every month and I will keep for 3 months and delete based on First In, First Out basis. I have not research on the software to backup incremental data yet. Therefore, I just perform a full backup every month.

E.g. I have 3 months (Jan, Feb and Mar) of backup and I will delete Jan to create space for Apr.
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,445
Reaction score
6,798
I have the 2 Bay Hard Drive Dock but it can be quite hot for me when it is running.
IMHO.
They are ambient cooled and exposed which is why you can feel the heat.
Generally if the room got AC or Fan, it should be fine.
For additional cooling, I use a dedicated small fan.

If that is really a concern, then you can look a the internal ones.
You won't feel the heat because it is enclosed and has fan.

The portable 2.5" and desk 3.5" HDD ( single drive ) are worse off.
They have little of no ventilation and dedicated fan cooling doesn't help.
My 10TB 3.5" Seagate Backup Plus Hub can go high than 50 degrees Celsius.

Please share your findings on the incremental backup. (y)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top