Failure signs from ur hard drive

Buzztiger

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
394
Reaction score
1
Did your hard drive show signs of failure before it completely failed ? Hope you could share your experiences.

For me I have a WD 1TB blue, bought 3 years ago showed SMART errors. Drive is still readable but has slowed down alot.

I have 2 Hitachi 7k1000c 1 TB hard drives. 1 of the drive which was used as OS drive kept repeatedly restarting my PC. Then after weeks later I had alot of BSOD. Had no warning from SMART test. Drive can still be read if used as secondary drive but makes alot of noise. My 2nd Hitachi 1TB drive also had no warning in SMART test. The drive just slowed to a crawl in reading and writing. Clicking a folder would take very very long to open. Then 2 days later drive failed and cannot be accessed at all.
 

LLCSG12

Member
Joined
May 31, 2012
Messages
196
Reaction score
0
I had a WD black with loud spinning and writing noise from day 1. It was working fine until the one day it took a long time to load windows and read files. I backup my files whenever possible. And therefore RMA it. It was only 6mths in use. Ever since it switched to Seagate..
 

voltech

Banned
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
251
Reaction score
0
Did your hard drive show signs of failure before it completely failed ? Hope you could share your experiences.

For me I have a WD 1TB blue, bought 3 years ago showed SMART errors. Drive is still readable but has slowed down alot.

I have 2 Hitachi 7k1000c 1 TB hard drives. 1 of the drive which was used as OS drive kept repeatedly restarting my PC. Then after weeks later I had alot of BSOD. Had no warning from SMART test. Drive can still be read if used as secondary drive but makes alot of noise. My 2nd Hitachi 1TB drive also had no warning in SMART test. The drive just slowed to a crawl in reading and writing. Clicking a folder would take very very long to open. Then 2 days later drive failed and cannot be accessed at all.

Those are similar symptoms of hard disk failing. I had a worst encounter with Hitachi drives, it will totally fail on me and unable to power on at all.

Some symptoms of failing drives includes clicking noise, files getting corrupted/unable to access, SMART test fail and reading/writing at turtle speed and sometimes, error message of "invalid parameter". You may find out more in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TETQ_oCJgFI
 

LiLAsN

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
2,700
Reaction score
510
Did your hard drive show signs of failure before it completely failed ? Hope you could share your experiences.

For me I have a WD 1TB blue, bought 3 years ago showed SMART errors. Drive is still readable but has slowed down alot.

I have 2 Hitachi 7k1000c 1 TB hard drives. 1 of the drive which was used as OS drive kept repeatedly restarting my PC. Then after weeks later I had alot of BSOD. Had no warning from SMART test. Drive can still be read if used as secondary drive but makes alot of noise. My 2nd Hitachi 1TB drive also had no warning in SMART test. The drive just slowed to a crawl in reading and writing. Clicking a folder would take very very long to open. Then 2 days later drive failed and cannot be accessed at all.

I had a Western Digital external drive and a Samsung external drive prior ro just using Samsung external drives. They failed me in about the span of 2 years while my Samsung external drive didn't give me any sort of issues even years later till now.

For Hitachi, it failed me in just 1 year resorting in Dell having to come and exchange it for a WD drive in the past.

I believe I have posted a statistics report of the failure rate of HDD drives between Sandisk, WD and more a long time ago in this forum. If I ever come across it, I'll let you know.

Best is if you transfer what you can out of your dying WD HDD quickly. That's what I did.
Start with small amounts of files to avoid it from failing. Make sure those are your priority files.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top