Faulty PSU?

  • Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mental Health Helpline: 6389-2222 (24 hours) More info

ItsSweeHong

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2015
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,

recently my pc has been having issues, sometimes the screen will crash and say "nvidia driver has stopped and restarted" I tried to fix this by doing a clean uninstallation of the graphics driver that I used to have and reinstalled with the latest version, so far no issues.

However, recently my pc also started to hang, mostly going into black screen where only my mouse will be visible but cannot be moved, sound will play for a while then stop and hangs, unable to toggle numlock/capslock/etc...

So I was wondering if there was an issue with my gfx... I used to use 2 monitors to the same gfx, 1 connected by HDMI and the other by DVI, now I only use 1 as I think I may have over-stressed my gfx. I've contacted my gfx manufacturer support and was told to check on my voltages.

So the following are the voltage readings I retrieved from speccy under the motherboard tab, something is wrong, could this indicate a faulty PSU?

I've no idea what the acceptable ratings of voltages should be so pardon me and my limited knowledge.

CPU CORE 0.804 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 2.016 V
+3.3V 2.004 V
+5V 3.367 V
+12V 0.048 V
-12V -6.960 V
-5V -6.192 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 2.843 V
CMOS BATTERY 1.476 V

system parts:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: H97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Graphics card: EVGA GTX 760
RAM: 2X8GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 650W

Would I need to change my PSU for warranty in this case? And is it suggestible for me to use 2 monitors with my current gfx?

Thanks in advance!
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
have u tried other monitoring tools like hwmonitor and hwinfo?

see if they too produce the same results or not.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,066
Reaction score
1,762
Your PSU readings are way off.

This could indicate either a bad PSU or your motherboard is not able to read the PSU voltages correctly.

(I have a similar problem with a HP rig which reads the 12V rail as 8V. However, everything works.)

I suggest you test with a replacement PSU.
 

ItsSweeHong

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2015
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
have u tried other monitoring tools like hwmonitor and hwinfo?

see if they too produce the same results or not.

I tried hwmonitor and the voltages are exactly the same or otherwise similar with very little fluctuation in numbers

Edit: tried to check out the voltage in BIOS, weirdly the numbers do not fluctuate too much from their required readings.

BIOS Readings:
+3.3V: 3.324V
+5V: 5.010V
+12V: 12.024V

not sure why there is a difference between BIOS compared to speccy and hwmonitor

Your PSU readings are way off.

This could indicate either a bad PSU or your motherboard is not able to read the PSU voltages correctly.

(I have a similar problem with a HP rig which reads the 12V rail as 8V. However, everything works.)

I suggest you test with a replacement PSU.

don't have a replacement PSU x.x hopefully it's just the PSU that is required to be changed
 
Last edited:

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
The bios readings are normal.

I recently had problem with my PSU where the voltage is not enough. When I play games the com will turn off and restart on its own.
 

ItsSweeHong

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2015
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
The bios readings are normal.

I recently had problem with my PSU where the voltage is not enough. When I play games the com will turn off and restart on its own.



I've had that happen a few times in the past but recently it hasn't happened, how did you solve it? Changed PSU?
 

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2001
Messages
53,997
Reaction score
18
CPU CORE 0.804 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 2.016 V
+3.3V 2.004 V
+5V 3.367 V
+12V 0.048 V
-12V -6.960 V
-5V -6.192 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 2.843 V
CMOS BATTERY 1.476 V


PSU: Seasonic X-Series 650W

Would I need to change my PSU for warranty in this case? And is it suggestible for me to use 2 monitors with my current gfx?

Thanks in advance!

The PSU you're using does not comes with -5volts which is the white wire from legacy PSUs not seen for the past decade.

Hence, don't bother with any software with the reading of -5volts, totally off the mark.
 

ItsSweeHong

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2015
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
The PSU you're using does not comes with -5volts which is the white wire from legacy PSUs not seen for the past decade.

Hence, don't bother with any software with the reading of -5volts, totally off the mark.

Okay, that explains... but what about the other readings?
 

ItsSweeHong

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2015
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Anyone has any shop to recommend that I can bring my whole system down for them to try help diagnose the exact issue?
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,764
Reaction score
30,380
ATX standard requires voltages to be +-5%. Realistically, electronics may operate with up to +-10% to 20%, anything beyond and it will stop.

So having 5V at 3V and 12V at 0V is completely wrong and your computer shouldn't even be booting. But it is, so is software issue.

Also, having the correct voltages doesn't guarantee a good PSU. Ripple may be out of spec.
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
I've had that happen a few times in the past but recently it hasn't happened, how did you solve it? Changed PSU?

Yeah I went to Tech dynamic, told them the issue. I also took picture of the voltage readings in my bios. They RMA-ed straight away. But they gave me a brand new PSU because my Aurum S 600W was out of stock. I took the Aurum S 550W and refreshed my warranty.
 

ItsSweeHong

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2015
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Yeah I went to Tech dynamic, told them the issue. I also took picture of the voltage readings in my bios. They RMA-ed straight away. But they gave me a brand new PSU because my Aurum S 600W was out of stock. I took the Aurum S 550W and refreshed my warranty.

Hmm my bios readings are accurate so don't think is PSU problem, gonna get the whole rig diagnosed and see how it goes ba, thanks anyway
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,764
Reaction score
30,380
Yeah I went to Tech dynamic, told them the issue. I also took picture of the voltage readings in my bios. They RMA-ed straight away. But they gave me a brand new PSU because my Aurum S 600W was out of stock. I took the Aurum S 550W and refreshed my warranty.

Diaoz .
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top