First time buying/building a non pre-built pc

Daniel SG1981

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2018
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone, my name is Daniel I'm 37 years old.
I'm not really much of a gamer, this is my first time getting into home computers.
My usual were always DS/3DS or PSPs, I was visiting a colleague of mine and saw him playing on his pc and it kind of peaked my interests.
After his explanation of his pc (very vague) I understood that there were many kinds of warfare games out there on the systems.

I have few questions before I start getting a system I hope everyone can help answer before I start spending money thank you.

1. Are systems hard to build?
2. Where is the best place can I go to pick up parts for my system?
3. Is a system hard to maintain?
4. Is maintenance for the system expensive?

My budget is around SGD$1200-1400 will that be enough?
Thank you for all you help.
 
Last edited:

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
22,372
Reaction score
80
1. First time can have some tricky steps, but nowadays there's a lot of YouTube videos out there. It can be fun if you were the sort to enjoy building model airplanes etc.
2. Sim Lim Square, specifically the recommended shops like PC Themes. Avoid any shop that's not recommended by bros here.
3. Nope. At most, clean out your dust filter every few months (you should clean your console fans too anyway.
4. No, unless something breaks, there is no maintenance.

1200-1400 will be tight unless you want a low/mid range gaming system as you'll need monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers/headphones etc as well.
 

Psycovirus

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
1,789
Reaction score
381
Hello everyone, my name is Daniel I'm 37 years old.
I'm not really much of a gamer, this is my first time getting into home computers.
My usual were always DS/3DS or PSPs, I was visiting a colleague of mine and saw him playing on his pc and it kind of peaked my interests.
After his explanation of his pc (very vague) I understood that there were many kinds of warfare games out there on the systems.

Hello! Good to try out new hobby.

1. Are systems hard to build?
Not at all. Building a PC is like assembling lego. Many Youtube tutorial videos are available. Just don't watch the Verge one. If you do not wish to assemble, you can purchase parts at Sim Lim Square. Shops like Cybermind, PC Themes will assemble for you the PC on the spot if you purchase all the required parts in their shop. Usually free or $10.

2. Where is the best place can I go to pick up parts for my system?
Sim Lim Square is the best place to pick up parts if you wish to shop physically. Online shops like Lazada, Shopee, Qoo10 and some sellers on Carousell are also other alternate sources. You can also find certain parts cheaper on international sellers like Amazon and Newegg.

3. Is a system hard to maintain?
No, you don't have to maintain much. Maybe dust out parts every few months at most. Software wise, Windows is good at automatically updating itself. At most, you may wish to update Graphics Driver to the latest if you game a lot.

4. Is maintenance for the system expensive?
No. Most parts purchased locally has warranty so if anything spoils (touch wood) within a year or two, can request for replacement.

My budget is around SGD$1200-1400 will that be enough?
Thank you for all you help.
Technically, it is enough for mid range system without monitor, keyboard, mouse. If you need monitor, keyboard and mouse, might have to scarifies the performance of your gaming PC to fit those peripherals in.
 

Daniel SG1981

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2018
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
1. First time can have some tricky steps, but nowadays there's a lot of YouTube videos out there. It can be fun if you were the sort to enjoy building model airplanes etc.
2. Sim Lim Square, specifically the recommended shops like PC Themes. Avoid any shop that's not recommended by bros here.
3. Nope. At most, clean out your dust filter every few months (you should clean your console fans too anyway.
4. No, unless something breaks, there is no maintenance.

1200-1400 will be tight unless you want a low/mid range gaming system as you'll need monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers/headphones etc as well.

I used to build Tamiya cars in the 4wd days I quit af I served national service.

The $1200 - 1400 is my year end bonus for the system I can always put aside another $400 for monitor, keyboard, mouse and headphones.
That should be enough right?
 

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
22,372
Reaction score
80
I used to build Tamiya cars in the 4wd days I quit af I served national service.

The $1200 - 1400 is my year end bonus for the system I can always put aside another $400 for monitor, keyboard, mouse and headphones.
That should be enough right?

Yup, should be fine
 

narkizy

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
538
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone, my name is Daniel I'm 37 years old.
I'm not really much of a gamer, this is my first time getting into home computers.
My usual were always DS/3DS or PSPs, I was visiting a colleague of mine and saw him playing on his pc and it kind of peaked my interests.
After his explanation of his pc (very vague) I understood that there were many kinds of warfare games out there on the systems.

I have few questions before I start getting a system I hope everyone can help answer before I start spending money thank you.

1. Are systems hard to build?
2. Where is the best place can I go to pick up parts for my system?
3. Is a system hard to maintain?
4. Is maintenance for the system expensive?

My budget is around SGD$1200-1400 will that be enough?
Thank you for all you help.

Cheapest but RMA/warranty may be an issue: Amazon US, esp with Black Friday upcoming.

1.4k for what sort of games are you looking to play? Lighter less demanding games like DOTA 2, Overwatch you can cut that budget down to less than 1k even.

Heavy AAA games like Witcher 3, MHW then you might have to consider stronger GPU/CPU which will hurt the budget.
 

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
22,372
Reaction score
80
Sorry to be a bother could you make me a list for a build around my price range.
Thanks again.

There's quite a few threads (about one a day) with recommended parts in that budget.

Or, you can download the PC Themes price list and check their pre-set systems and tweak from there.
 

CrispyPeddler

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2016
Messages
1,829
Reaction score
7
If you dont wan the hassle, u can go for Aftershock to pick your part and they assemble it for you including delivery to your doorstep. My experience with them so far is great (im not aftershock staff)

The whole package including 3 years warranty too. I like pc building..just hated troubleshooting when somewhere something doesnt work.

But even with that said, i think everyone shud at least build a pc once in their life haha =)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top