First time in Phuket, recommendations please

  • Have you been Scammed?
    Follow this advisory from National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) or call ScamShield Helpline 1799. More info

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
Hello everybody,

Going with my wife to Phuket. It will be our first trip to Thailand.

Please share your recommendations for lodging in Phuket if they fit following criteria:

1. Quietness - away from busy streets/places/backpackers/young crowds
2. Clean room, shower, bedding and towels
3. (desired) Near beach/water - wife really wants to sleep while listening sounds of waves
4. In the main island, so no transfers to the remote islands
5. No more than $80/night

Above is requirement. Everything else is nice to have (like breakfast, pool, spa, etc, etc, etc) but not necessary - we are mostly budget travelers. I am open for a guesthouse/B&B/AirBnB options as well.

Also, due to Thailand's reputation of scam and defrauding of tourists capital of the world - I would eager to listen your own recommendations how to avoid such fraud and scams mainly when dealing with hotels and taxis - we do not plan and 'entertain' ourselves in the town.

Thanks in advance
 

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
24,805
Reaction score
34
Hello everybody,

Going with my wife to Phuket. It will be our first trip to Thailand.

Please share your recommendations for lodging in Phuket if they fit following criteria:

1. Quietness - away from busy streets/places/backpackers/young crowds
2. Clean room, shower, bedding and towels
3. (desired) Near beach/water - wife really wants to sleep while listening sounds of waves
4. In the main island, so no transfers to the remote islands
5. No more than $80/night

Above is requirement. Everything else is nice to have (like breakfast, pool, spa, etc, etc, etc) but not necessary - we are mostly budget travelers. I am open for a guesthouse/B&B/AirBnB options as well.

Also, due to Thailand's reputation of scam and defrauding of tourists capital of the world - I would eager to listen your own recommendations how to avoid such fraud and scams mainly when dealing with hotels and taxis - we do not plan and 'entertain' ourselves in the town.

Thanks in advance

Would recommend you to stay near junceylon mall ...
junceylon mall is the biggest shopping mall in phuket ...
there r many restaurants and fast food there

restaurant for example, fried rice is at least 150b ...
fast food, macdonald is 8sgd for fillet o fish ala carte, or 11sgd for a meal :)
the price is not cheap over there

unlike bangkok, there is super limited number of taxi ...
doubt they would go by meter :) is very common thee ...
normally the tuk tuk there would ask for 200b for going to place nearby, such as within 10min ... if you r staying at a hotel which is far from shopping mall, perhaps abt 20min drive, maybe they would ask for 400b ...

airport to junceylon shopping area is abt 75min ...
we book our own driver. he drove a van, picked us from airport ... abt 700b for us ..

we also booked day tour, 5hrs is abt 1200b ...
can bring u to temple, big buddha, bee farm, cashew nut factory, etc
 

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
24,805
Reaction score
34
depending on season ...
we have booked hotel nearby junceylon mall,
within 5min walk ... abt 35 to 45 sgd per nite for two with breakfast ...
3.5 stars hotel ...
some even have bath tub :)

many new hotels along the street nearby junycelon mall ...
you can also stay at primara boutique hotel abt 60+ per nite...

big c supermarket is inside the shopping mall.
hence is a good place to shop if u need groceries...
 

gohjlb

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
1,053
Reaction score
1
Would recommend you to stay near junceylon mall ...
junceylon mall is the biggest shopping mall in phuket ...
there r many restaurants and fast food there

restaurant for example, fried rice is at least 150b ...
fast food, macdonald is 8sgd for fillet o fish ala carte, or 11sgd for a meal
the price is not cheap over there

unlike bangkok, there is super limited number of taxi ...
doubt they would go by meter is very common thee ...
normally the tuk tuk there would ask for 200b for going to place nearby, such as within 10min ... if you r staying at a hotel which is far from shopping mall, perhaps abt 20min drive, maybe they would ask for 400b ...

airport to junceylon shopping area is abt 75min ...
we book our own driver. he drove a van, picked us from airport ... abt 700b for us ..

we also booked day tour, 5hrs is abt 1200b ...
can bring u to temple, big buddha, bee farm, cashew nut factory, etc


Shared mini-bus,now 180 baht. Just as quick as a taxi, to Patong, after which it depends on where your hotel is.

I don't see the point of paying 400-600baht, just to get to your hotel 10-20 mins quicker

there also airport bus from airport to the phuket town :
http://www.airportbusphuket.com/faqs.html#faq2
 

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
Would recommend you to stay near junceylon mall ...

Ok, let me ask - is the area fitting the requirement I've outlined? I've specifically bolded out below:

1. Quietness - away from busy streets/places/backpackers/young crowds
2. Clean room, shower, bedding and towels
3. (desired) Near beach/water - wife really wants to sleep while listening sounds of waves
4. In the main island, so no transfers to the remote islands
5. No more than $80/night
 

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
24,805
Reaction score
34
Shared mini-bus,now 180 baht. Just as quick as a taxi, to Patong, after which it depends on where your hotel is.

I don't see the point of paying 400-600baht, just to get to your hotel 10-20 mins quicker

there also airport bus from airport to the phuket town :
http://www.airportbusphuket.com/faqs.html#faq2

we have more ppl tats why we booked the van for 700b lol ...
at least no need to wait for others ...
would straight away go to your hotel :) no need stop here n there
later ppl inside the van talk very loud, u sure gg ...
more privacy also ...
if u 4 pax, 180*4 = 720 b ... is more expensive than own driver 700b
 

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
24,805
Reaction score
34
Ok, let me ask - is the area fitting the requirement I've outlined? I've specifically bolded out below:

1. Quietness - away from busy streets/places/backpackers/young crowds
2. Clean room, shower, bedding and towels
3. (desired) Near beach/water - wife really wants to sleep while listening sounds of waves
4. In the main island, so no transfers to the remote islands
5. No more than $80/night

1. Unless u stay higher floor, or a hotel inside the alley
so far all the hotels near junceylon that i have tried, not noisy lol ... except one, which is near the boxing area ...
2. All my rooms r clean ... if u r picky, their clean definition might varies from my ...
3. 10min walk to patong beach by walking
however very sunny
4. hotel area is junceylon mall,is the city area .
junceylon mall is one of the newest and biggest mall in phuket
5. price varies from season to season ...
we went jul and mar, their price for 3stars hotel is 35sgd onwards with breakfast ...

let me ask u some questions.
1. you need bath tub ?
2. u need breakfast ?
3. u ok with room size 22m2 on average?
4. u ok with walking 1 to 5min from junceylon mall
5. u need new hotel, below 5 years ?
6. u wanna stay far far in a 4 stars hotel , walking to mall at least 20min .... or near shopping mall in a 3 stars hotel
based on the few questions listed above, you can search hotels based on ur requirement on websites such as agoda, booking.com , expedia etc ...
 

Beno777

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2003
Messages
1,878
Reaction score
14
1. Quietness - away from busy streets/places/backpackers/young crowds
2. Clean room, shower, bedding and towels
3. (desired) Near beach/water - wife really wants to sleep while listening sounds of waves
4. In the main island, so no transfers to the remote islands
5. No more than $80/night

1. Unless u stay higher floor, or a hotel inside the alley
so far all the hotels near junceylon that i have tried, not noisy lol ... except one, which is near the boxing area ...
2. All my rooms r clean ... if u r picky, their clean definition might varies from my ...
3. 10min walk to patong beach by walking
however very sunny
4. hotel area is junceylon mall,is the city area .
junceylon mall is one of the newest and biggest mall in phuket
5. price varies from season to season ...
we went jul and mar, their price for 3stars hotel is 35sgd onwards with breakfast ...

let me ask u some questions.
1. you need bath tub ?
2. u need breakfast ?
3. u ok with room size 22m2 on average?
4. u ok with walking 1 to 5min from junceylon mall
5. u need new hotel, below 5 years ?
6. u wanna stay far far in a 4 stars hotel , walking to mall at least 20min .... or near shopping mall in a 3 stars hotel
based on the few questions listed above, you can search hotels based on ur requirement on websites such as agoda, booking.com , expedia etc ...

Kor kor jin fierce, slap ppl left right center up down then ask ppl go search agoda sua.

Jin scary
 

Beno777

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2003
Messages
1,878
Reaction score
14
Of coz it helps la cause i know what i wan =)

I also know what I want :s12:

But sometime I ask friend for advises also lah. I wan quiet hotel by the sea, they recommended me hotel at the mall. I wan quiet hotel to relax, they recommended me to go shop here shop there then got macnonald . I wan a reasonable priced transfer for only 2 pax, they recommended me book a mini bus sitting 10 pax. This make me wonder, got friend like that hor, who still need enemy? :s11:
 

ApeTruelove

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
7,139
Reaction score
2,081
I also know what I want :s12:

But sometime I ask friend for advises also lah. I wan quiet hotel by the sea, they recommended me hotel at the mall. I wan quiet hotel to relax, they recommended me to go shop here shop there then got macnonald . I wan a reasonable priced transfer for only 2 pax, they recommended me book a mini bus sitting 10 pax. This make me wonder, got friend like that hor, who still need enemy? :s11:

U know why bo?? I tell u laa cause different ppl diff preferences ...

Hope it helps
 

turtlezhu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
22,428
Reaction score
45
U know why bo?? I tell u laa cause different ppl diff preferences ...

Hope it helps

I also know what I want :s12:

But sometime I ask friend for advises also lah. I wan quiet hotel by the sea, they recommended me hotel at the mall. I wan quiet hotel to relax, they recommended me to go shop here shop there then got macnonald . I wan a reasonable priced transfer for only 2 pax, they recommended me book a mini bus sitting 10 pax. This make me wonder, got friend like that hor, who still need enemy? :s11:

wah bro beno this ho hia di of yours li hai i respect him
 

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
This make me wonder, got friend like that hor, who still need enemy? :s11:

Well, seems not only your friends but some people here have reading comprehension problem as well. You tell that you need a quiet beach away from crowds and they stick you with a mall from 5 min walking from Patong.... sigh.

Anyway, I did find and book my place. Surin beach. New hotel, opened 4 month ago. With Expedia voucher and discount comes like $110/night. But considering that I meant US $80 in the original posting, should be not that bad.
 
Last edited:

AngeLx

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2001
Messages
8,979
Reaction score
437
I stayed at Nap Patong before, quite nice but a distance to walk away from mall.

It's a quiet corner to me and can walk to beach I think. Have stayed there quite sometimes back. But generally I don't like Phuket as its quite expensive.
 
Last edited:

Beno777

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2003
Messages
1,878
Reaction score
14
Well, seems not only your friends but some people here have reading comprehension problem as well. You tell that you need a quiet beach away from crowds and they stick you with a mall from 5 min walking from Patong.... sigh.

Anyway, I did find and book my place. Surin beach. New hotel, opened 4 month ago. With Expedia voucher and discount comes like $110/night. Bur considering that I meant US $80 in the original posting, should be not that bad.

There will be ppl who will tell you how much cheaper they able to book the same hotel as yours. But, hack care lah since its just maybe a tenth or a few different. Able to go on holidays is a blessing liao, somemore going with wifey and spend quality time together at hotel by the beach, this is priceless.

So, just enjoy. :)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top