First time travel to China

limchooc

Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2001
Messages
385
Reaction score
35
I am planning to have a year end holiday trip to China with my family. I plan to join a package tour as this is my first time to China and I have two kids coming along.
Is there any recommendation on which package I should sign up for the first timer to explore China.
 

butterbarter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
1,714
Reaction score
0
I am planning to have a year end holiday trip to China with my family. I plan to join a package tour as this is my first time to China and I have two kids coming along.
Is there any recommendation on which package I should sign up for the first timer to explore China.

My only recommendation is NOT to do a package tour. Seriously, why the heck would you want to wake up early each morning, be herded around, rush like crazy and spend a few mins at attractions, eat lousy food, and spend time at duty free shops. You'll only be frustrated and tired at the end of it. You'll travel alot and yet see nothing.

Taxis in China are plentiful and cheap. Cars with included drivers are also available. Travel info and maps are easily available online and in printed form. The rail and domestic flights are also comprehensive and comfortable. China-based hotels are cheap and cozy( try http://english.ctrip.com or agoda.com: Discount Hotel Reservations - Smarter Hotel Booking!). Do your own trip. You'll enjoy the easy pace and freedom to do as your family pleases.

PS: it will be easier if you can speak some Mandarin though.
 
Last edited:

Some-one

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
52,838
Reaction score
3,811
Agrees. If I got a choice, I'll rather go free and easy. Packaged tour only gives you a few minutes in each location and they like to bring you to commercial shops to buy this and that.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,027
Reaction score
1,918
If you don't want to worry about the logistics of getting to remote sights and attractions, guided tours are still viable. Especially if you have 2 children going along.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,797
Reaction score
3,596
There's always option to get/join/buy day tours locally.

I always go free and easy and when I'm at a place where public transport isn't easily accessible to sight, I'll join a day tour.

For instance, I went free and easy in Lijiang. But I bought a day tour to the Tiger Leaping Gorge. I did free and easy in Beijing as well. Bought a day tour to the Ming Tombs and Badaling. In Hohhot, I did free and easy as well but joined a day tour to the grassland (horse riding). These day tours were pretty cheap, if I remember it was about RMB100 to RMB200. Of cos the horse riding was a bit more pricey.
 

suangern

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
2,385
Reaction score
1
Beware of fake notes, especially RMB 100 notes. It has been discussed in the other thread. Their biggest domination is only RMB 100.
 

butterbarter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
1,714
Reaction score
0
There's always option to get/join/buy day tours locally.

I always go free and easy and when I'm at a place where public transport isn't easily accessible to sight, I'll join a day tour.

Exactly. I do the same. Free and easy for most places, day-tours for hard to reach places.

This gives you the freedom to sightsee at your own pace and leisure, and yet takes care of the hassles for remote places that are hard to go on your own.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,027
Reaction score
1,918
I do that too. Remote sights and attractions- local guided tour. Otherwise, free and easy.
However, I want to point that for a first-timer with kids, it is better to go on package tour. The initial experience of visiting China for the first time may be overwhelming, and you will want not want to lower your guard. Subsequent trips will benefit from the free-and-easy itinerary.
 

lonelyvampire

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2013
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
u have 2 kids, and it's ur first time in china. I suggest package tour. is cheaper(our old folks made it possible) than if u go by urself and save the hassle of looking around.
 

butterbarter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
1,714
Reaction score
0
u have 2 kids, and it's ur first time in china. I suggest package tour. is cheaper(our old folks made it possible) than if u go by urself and save the hassle of looking around.

I don't understand the rationale for the package tour.

If you have kids, just flag down a taxi, which are plentiful and cheap in any Chinese city. If you go to ulu places, you'll rent a car+driver or take a day tour, which also won't be an issue.

If your kids are not feeling well or if you are tired, you are free to start your day later instead of being forced to meet at the hotel lobby at 7am. You can come back to the hotel room earlier to rest, or change your plans during the trip. If the weather is bad, you can simply choose to visit a museum or other indoor attractions instead, and leave the outdoor attractions for another day.

If anything, I think free and easy is better if you have kids (not in all countries, but China is one of them). All you need is some research in advance, which you have to do too if you are taking package tour to find the best package.

The other problem with package tours is that you are so isolated from the country you visit that you actually do not become more familiar with it. You'll know nothing about the transportation options, hotels, people, etc.

So if you make a second trip, you'll find you know as little as you did the first time round, and based on the same reasoning, you'll be forced to take a package tour again.

I think trying to save some money by taking a package tour is false economy. You save a few hundred bucks, but you see and experience much less, not to mention the time you waste in duty free shops which translate into time and money wasted too.
 
Last edited:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,797
Reaction score
3,596
Most tourist attractions u need a guide. To tell you about the history of the place, etc. Pointless to just go there and have been there without knowing anything about it.
 

butterbarter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
1,714
Reaction score
0
Most tourist attractions u need a guide. To tell you about the history of the place, etc. Pointless to just go there and have been there without knowing anything about it.

You can buy a guide book if you want to know more details, and many attractions also have audio guides for rent. You can also hire a (human) guide on the spot for a small sum of money.
 

lonelyvampire

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2013
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
You can buy a guide book if you want to know more details, and many attractions also have audio guides for rent. You can also hire a (human) guide on the spot for a small sum of money.

well, going china and exploring the city on ur own is definitely the best option. u will develop a sense of their culture, their transport and it's people. walking along their streets with ur loved ones and tasting some of their finest cuisines without any restrictions are indeed enjoyable.

u are 'not controlled' which is better...but then TS stated that it is his first trip with kids u see...so package is better in my opinion.
 

butterbarter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
1,714
Reaction score
0
well, going china and exploring the city on ur own is definitely the best option. u will develop a sense of their culture, their transport and it's people. walking along their streets with ur loved ones and tasting some of their finest cuisines without any restrictions are indeed enjoyable.

u are 'not controlled' which is better...but then TS stated that it is his first trip with kids u see...so package is better in my opinion.

I know what you mean, but I also already explained why I think free-n-easy would be suitable even if TS brought kids along.

Anyway, I think this is a personal decision that TS has to make for himself. All we can do is give advice, but we cannot force him to do it our way since we are not accountable for his expenses or quality of his trip.
 

teacup888

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2009
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
really depend on where you are going and its not true that you can hail a cab easily if you are going beijing. I have only succeeded taking a cab a few times max and its impossible during peak period. Package is very rushed and it also depends on where you wanna go. If you are after a do a lot tour in a short time, then package is good. when I see tourist on a guided tour, I pity them because its so hasty and some of the places are not even open.

A way to handle notes is to give only small change. Most cheating happens with 100 yuan bill and 50.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,027
Reaction score
1,918
In any case, his mind is already made up, he is only asking about which package to go with.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top