Flights to Seattle

justsomeguy

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2017
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I have to fly to Seattle in September. Are there any deals that I should be aware of, or are there any sites which you guys have found useful (other than google flights and expedia and that sort.) Tips are welcome!

I am very open to flying to Vancouver and then taking bolt bus down to Seattle as I think I would like to visit some of the NPs in Canada as well, and it does seem like flying to Vancouver is cheaper than flying to Seattle.

Alternatively I could fly to San Francisco with miles and then take a domestic flight to Seattle, but I am only getting about 15c per mile and could do better with other flights.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,666
Reaction score
3,503
If you have plenty of time and don't want to spend much, consider flying out from HK or Beijing/Shanghai. There are pretty cheap flights from China to Canada return on Air Canada and also from HK to the US on Japan Airlines and Cathay Pacific. For flights out of HKG, on CX and JL, look at the American Airlines website.

I flew for S$700+ HKG to the US (3 months return ticket) last year. Singapore to HK return was around $200+, almost $300 on Tiger. And I clocked sufficient miles (just from this trip) for the silver tier of the frequent flyer program for AA/AY/CX/JL.
 

koohansen

Master Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2000
Messages
3,142
Reaction score
186
Hi all,

I have to fly to Seattle in September. Are there any deals that I should be aware of, or are there any sites which you guys have found useful (other than google flights and expedia and that sort.) Tips are welcome!

I am very open to flying to Vancouver and then taking bolt bus down to Seattle as I think I would like to visit some of the NPs in Canada as well, and it does seem like flying to Vancouver is cheaper than flying to Seattle.

Alternatively I could fly to San Francisco with miles and then take a domestic flight to Seattle, but I am only getting about 15c per mile and could do better with other flights.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance

EVA Air regularly has promotion $1.3 - $1.4k from Singapore
Timing wise is not that bad for jet lag. They are using Boeing 777-300ER which is better than some airlines that flies the A330 to US.

I would not recommend taking flights that transits in USA. If you go by San Francisco, you are going to pad 3 hours minimum for your next flight as you have to go through immigration once you land, go through TSA. And repeat the process again for your next flight.

For Transits in China, avoid Shanghai.

Vancouver do have many nice parks, the easiest to access is Stanley Park. Mt Seymour is nice too. But if you have time to spare in Canada, I would recommend the Rockies at Alberta region.
 
Last edited:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,666
Reaction score
3,503
Another way to do it cheap, is to book or redeem the SQ flight from HKG to SFO. Take the Amtrak from Emeryville to Seattle. This train ride is regarded as one of the better train rides in the US. I did the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville. Good legroom and really comfortable. Clean toilets too.
 

justsomeguy

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2017
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
If you have plenty of time and don't want to spend much, consider flying out from HK or Beijing/Shanghai. There are pretty cheap flights from China to Canada return on Air Canada and also from HK to the US on Japan Airlines and Cathay Pacific. For flights out of HKG, on CX and JL, look at the American Airlines website.

I flew for S$700+ HKG to the US (3 months return ticket) last year. Singapore to HK return was around $200+, almost $300 on Tiger. And I clocked sufficient miles (just from this trip) for the silver tier of the frequent flyer program for AA/AY/CX/JL.

Another way to do it cheap, is to book or redeem the SQ flight from HKG to SFO. Take the Amtrak from Emeryville to Seattle. This train ride is regarded as one of the better train rides in the US. I did the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville. Good legroom and really comfortable. Clean toilets too.

thanks for the tip on flying from HK! Will keep a close lookout on that, i don't really have that much time, but i can always visit friends there.

As for the Amtrak, I have done that particular train ride 3 times already haha. I feel like the best part of the ride is during the night so you can't really see much (in the direction going up that is!) But it is a nice ride I have to say!

EVA Air regularly has promotion $1.3 - $1.4k from Singapore
Timing wise is not that bad for jet lag. They are using Boeing 777-300ER which is better than some airlines that flies the A330 to US.

I would not recommend taking flights that transits in USA. If you go by San Francisco, you are going to pad 3 hours minimum for your next flight as you have to go through immigration once you land, go through TSA. And repeat the process again for your next flight.

For Transits in China, avoid Shanghai.

Vancouver do have many nice parks, the easiest to access is Stanley Park. Mt Seymour is nice too. But if you have time to spare in Canada, I would recommend the Rockies at Alberta region.

Cool thanks for the tips! I know EVA is a lot cheaper if you buy return the other way, so a bit sad on that one. For flights I might have to make the transit anyway, because if I want to go to Jasper and Banff then I probably will fly into Calgary, either from SF or from Vancouver regardless. I will have a look at Seymour and Rockies!

I have been to Vancouver a few times too already, so no need to spend too much time there haha. You know there's a bench in Stanley park that is donated by a Singaporean? It's funny going there and finding out that the bench you are sitting on is funded by someone from your country :s13:
 

wuso

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
926
Reaction score
85
thanks for the tip on flying from HK! Will keep a close lookout on that, i don't really have that much time, but i can always visit friends there.

......
Yes, the tip from dilphinus on flying from HK is good
I flew Delta @ almost S$800 because my dates don't have the cheaper fare... else some fares is <S$700 for HKG-SEA return!!
Also, the SIN-HKG I flew by Scoot which had good flight timing to connect the HKG-SEA leg, ie I don't even need to exit airport.. Only on the return leg then I stay few days in HK...
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top