From Private Degree to Masters

socket_athlon

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2002
Messages
2,042
Reaction score
31
almost 3-6 ppl from sim-uol going from private degree to LSE masters each year.. surely its possible. It not just ur degree, personal statement, gmat score(if required), work experience, performance in interview, recommendation all these matters in masters application.

my advice is enhance your capability by either
1, doing something you are passionate about or
2, being extremely driven in achieving ur goal

all the best.

This is very true IMO. To add on, I think you'll stand a higher chance by interacting with the school you want to go in to. You can look up professors, students, ask them if they need industrial help etc etc, ask them if they need help in projects, volunteer as a student/project advisor etc etc. Getting your relations right with the particular department can be very beneficial.

I am in contact with NUS currently, it all started with a small idea, and they offered me a masters with them no questions asked. But in my field, I think it won't do me much good. All in all, you must have strong views/opinions about your passion, and must prove that you have talent. They won't pass on that.

I was from a PTE uni, distant learning from Aussie, Engineering.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Local engineering masters in the past little demand from locals, the req very low. My pal 2 lower also get scholarship. Tuition free, still get $1-2k a mth for allowance. He grad from local uni and true blue Singaporean
 

es0teric

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2001
Messages
34,329
Reaction score
0
Company may not want to groom you, your manager or supervisor or seniors may

But however, to draft out reference letter, seniors, supervisor or manager still have to seek approval from the top and only when approve, HR will draft out the reference letter and get authorize by the top. Not just manager, supervisor or senior can just draft out the reference letter and authorize by themselves. But of course, I don't know how other company works
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
But however, to draft out reference letter, seniors, supervisor or manager still have to seek approval from the top and only when approve, HR will draft out the reference letter and get authorize by the top. Not just manager, supervisor or senior can just draft out the reference letter and authorize by themselves. But of course, I don't know how other company works

That's how your company works? Not how the companies I knew works
 

th3pr0tk3r

Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
343
Reaction score
0
just do your best, study hard, study smart.. i was from sim-uol, got offered from ntu-1yr, nus-2yr and lse. so nothing is impossible.
 

fplolz

Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2011
Messages
299
Reaction score
0
This is very true IMO. To add on, I think you'll stand a higher chance by interacting with the school you want to go in to. You can look up professors, students, ask them if they need industrial help etc etc, ask them if they need help in projects, volunteer as a student/project advisor etc etc. Getting your relations right with the particular department can be very beneficial.

I am in contact with NUS currently, it all started with a small idea, and they offered me a masters with them no questions asked. But in my field, I think it won't do me much good. All in all, you must have strong views/opinions about your passion, and must prove that you have talent. They won't pass on that.

I was from a PTE uni, distant learning from Aussie, Engineering.

That's a great idea. I would really like to help out in I.T projects or even Pyschology projects that the school has. Man. I got free time now. Sounds like a great deal. I will contact them and see what's up for volunteering
 

nady2015

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2015
Messages
227
Reaction score
0
First of all, you must have special relationship with the company you are working in or they want to groom you. If not, the company won't want to spend time helping you to provide 2 reference letters.

But however, to draft out reference letter, seniors, supervisor or manager still have to seek approval from the top and only when approve, HR will draft out the reference letter and get authorize by the top. Not just manager, supervisor or senior can just draft out the reference letter and authorize by themselves. But of course, I don't know how other company works

the companies/bosses/colleagues I've worked with have all been very supportive in terms of further education and writing reference letters - there was no involvement from HR/top management authorization. that said, I tend to notice that foreigners (angmohs especially) tend to be more willing to help - not sure if that's just a coincidence or its just part of their culture?

background - I have worked in three foreign mncs.
 
Last edited:

socket_athlon

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2002
Messages
2,042
Reaction score
31
That's a great idea. I would really like to help out in I.T projects or even Pyschology projects that the school has. Man. I got free time now. Sounds like a great deal. I will contact them and see what's up for volunteering

It'll be even better if you know students/friends that can point you to the right direction. I only know engineering people though... Nevertheless you can try googling the profs and guess which one you can try to cold-email haha.
 

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
12,422
Reaction score
88
hey currently i have 2nd upper honors degree in Mechatronics Engineering from University of Glasgow. what are my chances of getting into NUS/NTU masters in supply chain logistics???
 

chiwawa23

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2012
Messages
5,390
Reaction score
3
Has anyone heard of cases where people who done well in their private degrees move on to the local unis Masters ? Like Ntu or NUS. The requirements were stated as a degree with good honours.

I'm considering that path..:s11:

I might consider this path too as well, getting a private deg and then moving on to Masters with the local unis.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top