My Linux desktop has two HDDs, a 1TB WD Blue and a 500GB Toshiba. The 1TB is the boot and OS drive, the 500GB is a storage drive.
Recently, when I try to perform any major operations on the 500GB drive such as copying large files over, the copy process will start, and hang after awhile. Eventually, the 500GB HDD disappears from /dev and can no longer be detected by the operating system.
Restarting the desktop hangs at POST. Specifically, at the step where the BIOS attempts to detect SATA devices. This always happens regardless of the number of times I restart the desktop. But if I perform a power cycle, POST is successful, both HDDs get detected and I can boot to Linux, and the 500GB HDD is again visible in /dev.
Any ideas on what's happening here?
Recently, when I try to perform any major operations on the 500GB drive such as copying large files over, the copy process will start, and hang after awhile. Eventually, the 500GB HDD disappears from /dev and can no longer be detected by the operating system.
Restarting the desktop hangs at POST. Specifically, at the step where the BIOS attempts to detect SATA devices. This always happens regardless of the number of times I restart the desktop. But if I perform a power cycle, POST is successful, both HDDs get detected and I can boot to Linux, and the 500GB HDD is again visible in /dev.
Any ideas on what's happening here?

