FYI: Prepaid data plan in US

alex76

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2000
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
2
I was asking ard about it before I came here and doesn't seems to get a definite answer to it.

FOr the benefit of those who wanted to know, here is what I have gone thru:-

THere's 2 GSM mobile providers in the States, the rest is CDMA which might not work with our local SG phones (correct me if I'm wrong)

AT&T OR T-mobile

Knowing AT&T have a better coverage, so I don't bother to look at T-mobile, having read feedback that it is more ex than AT&T.

ok here what you must do for iphone user.

1. go to AT&T stores (not authorize retailers- I will tell u why)
2. ask for a prepaid GOPhone sim card
3. they have both normal sim and MICRO SIM
4. I got the $25 monthly plan + $25 1GB data plan, total you pay $50 only.
5. They will ask you what pohone u use, and said it will not support iphone, BYPASS it! tell them you know it and have a workout around solution and they will sell the sim card and the plan to you.
6. Go to places with free wifi access.
7. Open Safari and access www.unlockit.com.nz
8. choose AT&T and create and install the profile.
9. Put in the new AT&T sim card.
10. voila! you are all to go to use ur data plan!

NOte: if you go authorize dealer, theu will charge you sales tax and that depends which states you go to. But if u go to AT&T stores, u paid $50 NETT.


Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, somehow AT&T disable personal hotspot from the setting menu..... so u can't use your iphone as a wifi router with it.
 

lameasszz

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
82
Reaction score
1
Cutting the sim?

Hi, ur thread is very helpful for users going to US!, Anyway, wanna ask. Do they provide micro sim? or do u need to cut it? If need to cut, where to cut?
 

alex76

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2000
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
2
My micro sim still got 700MB data and 100min local call left till 31May12.
Anyone keen pls let me know. It's AT&T GoPhone plan.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
all phone provider in USA disable that, you can choose to pay more to the get the feature added.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
personal hotspot for iphone, Tethering for android phone are usually disable.U can pay more to get it enabled. Gophone for ATT does have plans that they can deduct from your value.
 

jz1901

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2001
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
My micro sim still got 700MB data and 100min local call left till 31May12.
Anyone keen pls let me know. It's AT&T GoPhone plan.

Is it still available? I'll be going on 31st May. Can extend e validity of sim card?
 

alex76

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2000
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
2
Hi,
It's still available. But to extend the validity is as good as buying a new card cos u will pay the same amount for buying a new card or add value to existing card.
 

Suleyman

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
2,217
Reaction score
48
Alternatively, you could just get one of the unlimited data roaming packages from Singtel. For US, I believe it's $20 per day.
 

leoang90

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2009
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Hi Alex, I'm headed to the states mid-Aug for 4-year studies. I'm intending on bringing my Samsung Galaxy S (I) with me - I hope it works with their service provider there.

Is it recommended I sign up for a monthly plan immediately as soon as I get there? Or is a pre-paid (w/ data) line cheaper in the long term? I will require data for the basic whatsapping / fbing / skyping with my family/friends back at home.

Gotta say though, I'm a little confused at their webpage... and that their line bundles are packaged in so many ways different from what we're so used to here in Sg. Even domestic incoming messages are chargeable!!
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
Hi Alex, I'm headed to the states mid-Aug for 4-year studies. I'm intending on bringing my Samsung Galaxy S (I) with me - I hope it works with their service provider there.

Is it recommended I sign up for a monthly plan immediately as soon as I get there? Or is a pre-paid (w/ data) line cheaper in the long term? I will require data for the basic whatsapping / fbing / skyping with my family/friends back at home.

Gotta say though, I'm a little confused at their webpage... and that their line bundles are packaged in so many ways different from what we're so used to here in Sg. Even domestic incoming messages are chargeable!!

Snce you wil be there for 4 years. Forget about you S(I), sign up a plan with them and most of the nice phone is almost ZERO dollar. Just stay away from T-mobile and you should be fine.

By the way, try to get a 4G one as thats the way to go.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80

leoang90

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2009
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the info patryn/cscs3!

where to find nice phone today with ZERO dollar.
Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, & Wireless Accessories from AT&T
Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless
Cell Phones for free with Cell Phone Plans from Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, Sprint, and more

the data plan for smartphone is where carrier make those $$ back.

depend on location T-mobile can have good coverage. Sprint not great.

Snce you wil be there for 4 years. Forget about you S(I), sign up a plan with them and most of the nice phone is almost ZERO dollar. Just stay away from T-mobile and you should be fine.

By the way, try to get a 4G one as thats the way to go.
 

berrycube

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

Will be in USA soon, we are thinking to get 2 sim prepaid SIM cards for
local call in USA (splitting into 2 groups so more for ease of contact), answer urgent calls from Singapore and data plan for what's app for iphone 4/4S/5.

1) Any plan that is recommended?

2) I read on some forum that the iphone needs to be "unlocked" what does it mean? How can we unlock it?

Cheers :)
 

inveritas

Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2009
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
I was in US for 10 months and used T-Mobile's $50 unlimited everything prepaid plan on my iPhone. Only downside is 2G all the way.
 

spongywolly

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
960
Reaction score
0
can't seem to access the site.

will be traveling to US next week and would want to purchase a prepaid card (with data plan) for iphone. hopefully some advice can be provided. :)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top