FYI: Prepaid data plan in US

inveritas

Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2009
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
Singapore-sold iPhones are unlocked by default. The T-Mobile plans I linked to earlier will work with iPhones, but only on 2G data.
 

rfseifer

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2008
Messages
359
Reaction score
0
I am not using iPhone, but android phone (microsim). This should work also until step 5?
 

zapp!

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,305
Reaction score
8
Am making a trip to NYC soon as well so am researching how best to get hold of some sort of data.

From the looks of it, it seems that we can only get 2G speeds for either AT&T or T-mobile?
 

weiket86

Junior Member
Joined
May 29, 2011
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
I follow ts post to use $25 plan + $25 data plan and it works! I can use 3g on my iphone. Also opt for $10 upgrade for long distance phone call 300 minutes. Can go to att website and pay using credit card
 

GenuineSeller

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
1,421
Reaction score
3
I follow ts post to use $25 plan + $25 data plan and it works! I can use 3g on my iphone. Also opt for $10 upgrade for long distance phone call 300 minutes. Can go to att website and pay using credit card

HI, thanks for sharing. Long distance call, does it mean international calls? Thanks
 

weiket86

Junior Member
Joined
May 29, 2011
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
HI, thanks for sharing. Long distance call, does it mean international calls? Thanks

NEW! Now you can save when calling landline phones in over 50 countries. With our NEW International Long Distance Feature Package, you can talk for 250 minutes to select countries for just $10 per month. See a list of countries and what's included.

GoPhone® International Long Distance - Wireless from AT&T

sry should be 250 minutes. :)
Can call both singapore landlines and mobiles

btw, after u find a wifi spot, go to unlockit.co.nz , not www.unlockit.com.nz
 
Last edited:

dashel

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
92
Reaction score
5
Hihi,

Will be making a trip to the US for a week. I have an iphone 5 I would like to use. Just data will do. 3g speed or better yet 4g, what prepaid should I get? Read through some forums that they do not cater to iphones.

Any help please?

Thanks!
 

leoang90

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2009
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Hi dashel,

I'd say go for T-Mobile's Unlimited Prepaid. It's US$50 bucks for unlimited data calls and texts. Works for iPhones. Downside is that T-Mobile doesn't exactly provide the most comprehensive coverage (depending on your location) so you might find yourself with 2G data sometimes. I THINK they're good in the West Coast but not the Mid West area.

Have a good trip!

Hihi,

Will be making a trip to the US for a week. I have an iphone 5 I would like to use. Just data will do. 3g speed or better yet 4g, what prepaid should I get? Read through some forums that they do not cater to iphones.

Any help please?

Thanks!
 

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 12, 2012
Messages
26,701
Reaction score
8,493
Only choice for using an iphone would be tmobile.
They have plans based on different length of usage such as one day or one week etc.

ATT does not accept iphones for their prepaid but they do have a monthly plan for ipads.
 

dashel

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
92
Reaction score
5
What if I were to use a galaxy s2 instead? i am more interested in data usage, faster the better, will not be making any calls. I heard tmobile is slower?

will i be able to use at&t with s2?

thanks!
 

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 12, 2012
Messages
26,701
Reaction score
8,493
Yes, with S2, u can use both ATT and TMobile.

Didnt do comparisons as i had a regular ATT plan.
It was ok.


What if I were to use a galaxy s2 instead? i am more interested in data usage, faster the better, will not be making any calls. I heard tmobile is slower?

will i be able to use at&t with s2?

thanks!
 

moozmoow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2007
Messages
16,023
Reaction score
11
I used straight talk by Walmart for prepaid when I was there last year,

cons:
Have to buy SIM card for about $20 USD
Can only buy SIM card online, Walmart doesnt stock these SIM cards, they only stock their prepaid phones that come with the SIM card, and the top up
cards.
If you buy SIM card online, the straighttalk website only accepts US credit card (not sure if this changed). I got mine from ebay seller
Minimum is USD$30 plan, minimum 30days.

pros:
Unlimited SMS (USD$45 plan)
Unlimited local voice (USD$45 plan)
Unlimited International Land line calls (for USD$60 plan)
Unlimited data (USD$45 plan)
Works perfectly with our local phones, can go 2G, 3G, and H+, runs on AT&T network
Once you stop paying for the monthly service, your SIM card goes inactive and you lose the number. BUT i just found out, it might be possible to reactivate it again by just purchasing a new prepaid plan. Number might change, but you will be able to reuse the SIM card. Gonna try and confirm this May

Straight Talk | No Contract Cell Phones | Android Smartphones
 

kaylessa

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
1,447
Reaction score
6
hi wondering anybody still have any data plan sim card? I will be going for a week.

Only need data plan.
 

Slowdown

Master Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2003
Messages
3,616
Reaction score
886
Anyone knows if there are data prepaid card in US that can be used on a mifi? Based on the feedback from earlier posting, seemed that it is not possible.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top