Gallery pic issue and layout changed for attaching pics ?

holoski

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2015
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hi All

Since I used a Galaxy s8 and Nougat I have noticed a difference in selecting and sending pictures in chats. For eg, I have a custom album I created and used to be able to navigate to that album from a chat program when wanting to select multiple pics and sending them.

Now, when I open gallery from the app the custom album no longer appears but many others do. However these albums are usually named after an app that were sent on, or where they came from, ie Whatsapp images, Telegram, Download, Viber, those on Instagram etc etc.

If I go to gallery, select the album then multiple pics and try and share them, it often says "Unable to share. Only photo files are supported". They are indeed photo files, and have worked fine before.

Any ideas how to remedy these 2 issues ?

Thanks.
 

deathst

Master Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2010
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
2
Hi All

Since I used a Galaxy s8 and Nougat I have noticed a difference in selecting and sending pictures in chats. For eg, I have a custom album I created and used to be able to navigate to that album from a chat program when wanting to select multiple pics and sending them.

Now, when I open gallery from the app the custom album no longer appears but many others do. However these albums are usually named after an app that were sent on, or where they came from, ie Whatsapp images, Telegram, Download, Viber, those on Instagram etc etc.

If I go to gallery, select the album then multiple pics and try and share them, it often says "Unable to share. Only photo files are supported". They are indeed photo files, and have worked fine before.

Any ideas how to remedy these 2 issues ?

Thanks.

I've no issues with telegram and WhatsApp sharing from their media selector when selecting custom album. What application are you sending through? Did you allow it permissions to access media files?

Tried it via gallery with WhatsApp and telegram. Works too.. might be application specific issue.
 

holoski

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2015
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I've no issues with telegram and WhatsApp sharing from their media selector when selecting custom album.

Wechat, Whatsapp.

When going from the app, and opening Gallery, in whatsapp it just shows the various current "chats" I have , and the pictures in those chats, rather than the albums I previously made. It is weird, it happened with my S7 before too at the end of my use with it. So, over 2 phones.

I have about 30 albums, maybe too many
 
Last edited:

deathst

Master Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2010
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
2
Wechat, Whatsapp.

When going from the app, and opening Gallery, in whatsapp it just shows the various current "chats" I have , and the pictures in those chats, rather than the albums I previously made. It is weird, it happened with my S7 before too at the end of my use with it. So, over 2 phones.

I have about 30 albums, maybe too many

Hmm.. Okay I'm curious on how you are going about to share these photos. So you are in Whatsapp, you open a conversation, you press the clip icon and press gallery... From this point you should be able to select your photos you want to send via Whatsapp media controller. Cause that list of pictures in your chat is the correct place whatsapp can't seem to detect your albums and photos I guess. Try this do the exact same thing and when you see the list again there is a three dot button on the top right, click that and use gallery instead.
 

holoski

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2015
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Try this do the exact same thing and when you see the list again there is a three dot button on the top right, click that and use gallery instead.

Yes, this is the workaround I use, not as fluid, but generally works. However, I then get the error "Unable to share. Only photo files are supported" message often. This is on pics I have used and shared many times before. Very weird.

I appreciate your input and time :)

I will also perhaps see if I can download an alternate gallery app, make it default and see if this has the same issues.
 

holoski

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2015
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
For anyone else, I discovered the cause of the problem I think.
Somehow some of my albums migrated into Samsung Cloud, and were off the phone itself. Not sure how this happened , but it did.

Copying them back to the phone storage should fix it.
 

deathst

Master Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2010
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
2
For anyone else, I discovered the cause of the problem I think.
Somehow some of my albums migrated into Samsung Cloud, and were off the phone itself. Not sure how this happened , but it did.

Copying them back to the phone storage should fix it.

Ah that would explain it.
In Gallery there is a setting for Samsung Cloud to backup photos and media, likely the Free up phone space was invoked and uploaded everything into cloud server which would explain the load time to see photos.

Thank you! I'll note this down and see if maybe this can be improved somehow.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top