Gardening for Herbs

willietan86

Master Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2000
Messages
3,465
Reaction score
0
Cool, I have a full blown garden with the following grown in hydroponic and traditional methods.

1. 3 types of mint
2. Rosemary
3. Thyme
4. French Beans
5. Tomatoes (2 varieties)
6. Basil (Italian and Thai)
7. Sweet potato
8. Chilli
9. Bell Peppers (4 color types)
10. Snow Peas (Dao Miao)
11. Kang Kong (Water Spinach)
12. Water Melon
13. Coriander (Chinese Celery)
14. lettuce
15. Corn
16. papaya
17. Sunflower

Seems like a lot, but I have a fair bit of land space. I do provide seed exchange as well, do PM me.
i realised you do not have lavender.

Any specific reasons?
 

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
13,122
Reaction score
2,064
eh.. i tried thyme cuttings in water, a few days later some of the leaves turn pale yellow and then brown... how come like this? help pls... :(:(
 

blasterlord2

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2016
Messages
7,513
Reaction score
1,307
Suppose to be a very easy plant but failed miserably in propagating from stem cutting. This will be my 4th attempt at growing the mint plant. I leave the stem cuttings in a glass of water till tiny roots start appearing. Next will transfer them to a potted soil. They look good the first 2 days but after that the leaves start drooping and stem rots away. For a change i will try growing them indoor to see if it will help. And certainly open for any suggestion from green fingered members.

Mint is easy to grow only when it has strong roots. At the beginning, it's very likely to die from a variety of reasons. Especially when just transplanted to soil it'll experience environmental 'shock'.
 

MoyoCase

Banned
Joined
May 10, 2011
Messages
53,228
Reaction score
4,422
Cool, I have a full blown garden with the following grown in hydroponic and traditional methods.

1. 3 types of mint
2. Rosemary
3. Thyme
4. French Beans
5. Tomatoes (2 varieties)
6. Basil (Italian and Thai)
7. Sweet potato
8. Chilli
9. Bell Peppers (4 color types)
10. Snow Peas (Dao Miao)
11. Kang Kong (Water Spinach)
12. Water Melon
13. Coriander (Chinese Celery)
14. lettuce
15. Corn
16. papaya
17. Sunflower

Seems like a lot, but I have a fair bit of land space. I do provide seed exchange as well, do PM me.
i am interested in bell pepper . can tell me how?
 

tinyspeck5

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2020
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Daiso sells seeds too?! Do they show the names of the seed unlike NTIC as you have mentioned?

Woahhh have I really not been out of the house for so long... Daiso sells plant seeds now????? haha

during ** I started my mini home garden shopping plant growing kits on Shopee sia. Got this seller Seishin really not bad got herbs everything and the size is perfect for my tiny house. Still waiting for my sunflower from them to sprout tho... cross fingers :s22:
 

boiboi123

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2008
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
5
are there any chat groups / facebook group / any forum to exchange ideas and tips about plants?
 

netterlim

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2020
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Suppose to be a very easy plant but failed miserably in propagating from stem cutting. This will be my 4th attempt at growing the mint plant. I leave the stem cuttings in a glass of water till tiny roots start appearing. Next will transfer them to a potted soil. They look good the first 2 days but after that the leaves start drooping and stem rots away. For a change i will try growing them indoor to see if it will help. And certainly open for any suggestion from green fingered members.

I think they need full sun. I had them growing in the balcony and they went wild. I tried growing it in indirect light and it didn't do well AT ALL.
 

Blixtelf

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2020
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Suppose to be a very easy plant but failed miserably in propagating from stem cutting. This will be my 4th attempt at growing the mint plant. I leave the stem cuttings in a glass of water till tiny roots start appearing. Next will transfer them to a potted soil. They look good the first 2 days but after that the leaves start drooping and stem rots away. For a change i will try growing them indoor to see if it will help. And certainly open for any suggestion from green fingered members.
Cut the mints, root it in the water till the roots are longer, say 3-5cm. After that you can transplant it to soil. Water the plant throughly, then cover the plant and pot with a plastic bag tie loosely or take a plastic container and invert it over your cuttings like a greenhouse. Once the plant is stable, u can remove the plastic. You can do these indoors, when stable, then shift it outdoors.
 

Blixtelf

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2020
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I think they need full sun. I had them growing in the balcony and they went wild. I tried growing it in indirect light and it didn't do well AT ALL.
Mints do better with sun. without sun, they get very leggy, trying to reach out to light.
 

tks

Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2001
Messages
488
Reaction score
20
My contribution:
How to set up your own customized automatic watering system or DIY irrigation system. A guide to the confusing terminology and sizing of taps, timers, pipes, hoses, connectors, valves, drippers and micro jets.

https://youtu.be/RdLGl7FKfl4
 

jingles29

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2020
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
How long does it take before papaya bear fruits? i grew one.. quite fast, a few months and its now looking like a mini papaya tree already. but i heard you need 2 papaya plants (one male one female) before it can bear fruits right? so i should grow a few papaya trees side by side for best chance?
 

tks

Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2001
Messages
488
Reaction score
20
Cut the mints, root it in the water till the roots are longer, say 3-5cm. After that you can transplant it to soil. Water the plant throughly, then cover the plant and pot with a plastic bag tie loosely or take a plastic container and invert it over your cuttings like a greenhouse. Once the plant is stable, u can remove the plastic. You can do these indoors, when stable, then shift it outdoors.

The common method is to root the mint in water. I tried and found it very troublesome. I decided to propagate directly in soil, and it works wonderfully. At least for me.

https://youtu.be/iaVeTOmJDts
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top