Gear S3 is announced.

meet_nanda

Master Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
2,692
Reaction score
167
That is a good news, which means eSIM is going to be adopted by local telcos. :)

According to an internal source, the LTE version will be announced at a later date. thus only the bluetooth version will be available in the coming weeks..
 

G4

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,485
Reaction score
4
According to an internal source, the LTE version will be announced at a later date. thus only the bluetooth version will be available in the coming weeks..

since no LTE, so basically no diff except the case and the strap then?
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
Sorry ah what is the different between lte and non-lte S3.

LTE version allows you to make and receive phone call, receive internet notification for your social media apps etc.

since no LTE, so basically no diff except the case and the strap then?

no difference between the gear s3 models, thus the pricing for now both are the same.
 

kchinbeng

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2002
Messages
781
Reaction score
4
LTE version allows you to make and receive phone call, receive internet notification for your social media apps etc.


But I thought the watch once connect through Bluetooth it will be able to receive the call and email. Please correct me if I am wrong. I quite newbie in smart watch.
 

G4

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,485
Reaction score
4
LTE version allows you to make and receive phone call, receive internet notification for your social media apps etc.


But I thought the watch once connect through Bluetooth it will be able to receive the call and email. Please correct me if I am wrong. I quite newbie in smart watch.

the LTE here means standalone device, can make and receive call by it's own. in other words should have its own phone number.
 

ym901s

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
761
Reaction score
9
Anyone can explain more on the 'Always On Display' in Gear S3?

I heard it is able to produce 16 million colors compared to 8 colors in S2 but I could not find any videos on this on Youtube.

Also will this feature caused 'burnt-in' in the long run?
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
Anyone can explain more on the 'Always On Display' in Gear S3?

I heard it is able to produce 16 million colors compared to 8 colors in S2 but I could not find any videos on this on Youtube.

Also will this feature caused 'burnt-in' in the long run?

In a closed door event with samsung which i had attended a few weeks back, the AOD is something like the phone's AOD. The difference is that the watch faces will have more details and colours to show comparing to gear s2's basic info on the screen. To me, it doesn't serve any purpose but depletes your battery life for the day. Other than this, some users might prefer to have something always on their screen.

When you raise your wrist like how you normally do, the watch activate the full watch face and thus i don't see a reason why i would use AOD. :D

Burn-in is a common phenomenon, but what i saw from the prototype was that the details of the AOD will keep changing every few minutes to avoid burn-in. I heard there are strict algorithms in place to safely switch the details around to avoid the same LED from being used..
 

ym901s

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
761
Reaction score
9
In a closed door event with samsung which i had attended a few weeks back, the AOD is something like the phone's AOD. The difference is that the watch faces will have more details and colours to show comparing to gear s2's basic info on the screen. To me, it doesn't serve any purpose but depletes your battery life for the day. Other than this, some users might prefer to have something always on their screen.

When you raise your wrist like how you normally do, the watch activate the full watch face and thus i don't see a reason why i would use AOD. :D

Burn-in is a common phenomenon, but what i saw from the prototype was that the details of the AOD will keep changing every few minutes to avoid burn-in. I heard there are strict algorithms in place to safely switch the details around to avoid the same LED from being used..

Appreciate your detailed explanation!

:s12:
 

daniel_83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2001
Messages
17,101
Reaction score
602
AOD is very important to me because there are situations when u want to see the time but not flick your wrist.

Example:
While in front of PC tying on the keyboard

While holding the handrail on a bus or mrt

While driving and hand is on the steering wheel

Sent from Samsung SM-G935F using GAGT
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
hmmm wanted the lte version... too bad sg version don't have it yet... now contemplating if I should still get the frontier... considering it doesn't have lte

Sent from HUAWEI EVA-L19 using GAGT

Why the LTE version may i ask? perhaps you can share your opinion?

In my opinion, i feel that the LTE version comes with a monthly subscription for the mobile line, and that the function of LTE is quite limited comparing to a phone. With that in mind, tethering via bluetooth might be a better/cost effective option.. :)
 

oldchubbybear

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2016
Messages
871
Reaction score
0
Why the LTE version may i ask? perhaps you can share your opinion?

In my opinion, i feel that the LTE version comes with a monthly subscription for the mobile line, and that the function of LTE is quite limited comparing to a phone. With that in mind, tethering via bluetooth might be a better/cost effective option.. :)
mainly because when I go jogging, when I go buy stuff from neighborhood shop downstairs... i don't carry my phone if it's really not necessary. plus, I have a 1gb data sim from my telco... it would be useful when in those situations and still be connected.

but if it comes down to it... i could still live without the lte version I guess.

Sent from HUAWEI EVA-L19 using GAGT
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
mainly because when I go jogging, when I go buy stuff from neighborhood shop downstairs... i don't carry my phone if it's really not necessary. plus, I have a 1gb data sim from my telco... it would be useful when in those situations and still be connected.

but if it comes down to it... i could still live without the lte version I guess.

Sent from HUAWEI EVA-L19 using GAGT

the watch works on e-SIM module. no way you can add your own data sim into the watch, and it has no sim slot as well.

thats why i said to buy LTE version, you need to have an active monthly subscription with a telco..
 

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2000
Messages
15,995
Reaction score
85
THe pre order detail is out.

I like to confirm if the Gear S3 will work with iphone? Like there no official new on these.

Apple watch 42mm is too small for my hand.........

And. is there any demo display unit in SG liao? thinking to get classic or frontier.......
 
Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
no it will not work with iPhone.

if you visit the gear s3 website, it stated will only work with android 4.4 and above only..

THe pre order detail is out.

I like to confirm if the Gear S3 will work with iphone? Like there no official new on these.

Apple watch 42mm is too small for my hand.........

And. is there any demo display unit in SG liao? thinking to get classic or frontier.......
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top