General S-REITs Discussion Thread

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
20,811
Reaction score
1,021
been on syfe s reit etf since 2022 and have been in the red since then...and on top of them everymonth still paying fee for their "lousy management"

is buying Lion Philips sreit or CSOP iEdge S Reit ETF a better choice? via say webull or tiger..
and which ETF seems better?
 

TehSi99

Master Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2018
Messages
4,892
Reaction score
1,318
been on syfe s reit etf since 2022 and have been in the red since then...and on top of them everymonth still paying fee for their "lousy management"

is buying Lion Philips sreit or CSOP iEdge S Reit ETF a better choice? via say webull or tiger..
and which ETF seems better?


For those reits etf you are eyeing, check the price during when you started investing in syfe. Then compared against current price. Though not 100% correct, you can have a feel if the red is due to generally investing reits etf or syfe itself.
 
Last edited:

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
20,811
Reaction score
1,021
For those reits etf you are eyeing, check the price during when you started investing in syfe. Then compared against current price. Though not 100% correct, you can have a feel if the red is due to generally investing reits etf or syfe itself.
too late...cos already commited long time ago and also did weekly for a period of time..
 

DevilPlate

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2020
Messages
12,236
Reaction score
5,155

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,206
Reaction score
2,669
been on syfe s reit etf since 2022 and have been in the red since then...and on top of them everymonth still paying fee for their "lousy management"

is buying Lion Philips sreit or CSOP iEdge S Reit ETF a better choice? via say webull or tiger..
and which ETF seems better?
I would say avoid REITs due to the following reasons:
1) In Singapore and globally, it is the residential real estate which is booming, all other kind of real estate like office spaces and malls are going out of favor. But Singapore doesnt have residential REITs

2)After GFC interest rates were abnormally low, which benefitted REITs. We are unlikely to ever see those financial repression level rates again.

3)As a Singapore resident you already have a big part of your networth tied to real estate, via your house. Dont put all egg into one basket

4)It is much more simpler to buy a diversified index fund, without any analysis. Just buy VWRA or SP500 and you can channelize your energy more productively elsewhere.

5)Ask yourself what edge you have v/s some hedge fund/PhD guys sitting somewhere in London or New York. If SG REITS were better than S&P500, would the hedge funds/PhD guys not have bought SG REITS? But a HDB only a Singaporean or PR can buy, so there you have an edge. A condo only a Singaporean can buy with zero ABSD. Here again you have an edge.

So to summarize, buy residencial property in Singapore upto your ABSD limit and invest globally your financial assets.
 
Last edited:

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,110
Reaction score
4,081
I would say avoid REITs due to the following reasons:
1) In Singapore and globally, it is the residential real estate which is booming, all other kind of real estate like office spaces and malls are going out of favor. But Singapore doesnt have residential REITs

2)After GFC interest rates were abnormally low, which benefitted REITs. We are unlikely to ever see those financial repression level rates again.

3)As a Singapore resident you already have a big part of your networth tied to real estate, via your house. Dont put all egg into one basket

4)It is much more simpler to buy a diversified index fund, without any analysis. Just buy VWRA or SP500 and you can channelize your energy more productively elsewhere.

5)Ask yourself what edge you have v/s some hedge fund/PhD guys sitting somewhere in London or New York. If SG REITS were better than S&P500, would the hedge funds/PhD guys not have bought SG REITS? But a HDB only a Singaporean or PR can buy, so there you have an edge. A condo only a Singaporean can buy with zero ABSD. Here again you have an edge.

So to summarize, buy residencial property in Singapore upto your ABSD limit and invest globally your financial assets.

even though this is a REIT thread, I'm going to say that we should be very careful about betting against MSCI World. As prices fall, buy some REIT, buy some MSCI world, don't all-in REITS. 😅

I did another round of DCA of Capitaland Ascott, VWRD, and LSPU today.

Totally agree that VWRA or other World fund is an essential part of any portfolio.

I think that currently for REITs, the upside is more than the downside, especially those which have significant forex exposure. I can totally see S$ weakening against major currencies this year.
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,110
Reaction score
4,081
2021 was not a good year to start buying REITs because the prices REITs were above their NAV.

If instead of DCA every month you only bought REITs in months when REIT NAV is higher than the share price, I think you would actually be in the green.

Finally, I will admit that buying REIT under the NAV, you can still lose money on certain REITs that always stay below NAV (Frasers Hospitality Trust is one of those 'losers' I hold) so you still need to do more analysis and NAV is only one factor.
 

homer123

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
10,174
Reaction score
5,114

TehSi99

Master Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2018
Messages
4,892
Reaction score
1,318

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,568
Reaction score
3,243
Just to share for those on custodian acct aka non-cdp route, corporate action like take dividends,take scrip,get dividends how efficient the process can be a concern at least for me. I cross check with other forum SCB damn late and not so efficient.

I am on moomoo quite fast and corporate action is in the form of email and you just reply back. Not using app to do but I think email route for corporate action is fine as long as I keep using the email I register with moomoo
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,110
Reaction score
4,081

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2018
Messages
11,362
Reaction score
3,716
Just to share for those on custodian acct aka non-cdp route, corporate action like take dividends,take scrip,get dividends how efficient the process can be a concern at least for me. I cross check with other forum SCB damn late and not so efficient.

I am on moomoo quite fast and corporate action is in the form of email and you just reply back. Not using app to do but I think email route for corporate action is fine as long as I keep using the email I register with moomoo
This is the main reason why I have my shares in CDP. If there are corporate action, the deadline for CDP is always the latest. This can make a difference in making decisions sometimes. Eg if there is rights issue, and the price drops.

The custodian may also not vote according to your wish, depending on their consolidation method. I only knew about this from the Sababa-ESR sega. Even though our votes can't influence the results much, but still biu song.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/co...sual-or-improper-about-mergers-voting-process

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/co...xy-vote-approach-well-established-it-best-way
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top