General S-REITs Discussion Thread

chopra

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
50,516
Reaction score
678
IKTQ8Zp.png

o53Q3Xb.png

k3Gu7C2.png

ljuio4l.png




Read HWZ Forum Rules!
 

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
20,809
Reaction score
1,020
I am currently using Syfe to invest in S Reits..they charged around $4 per month for around 20k worth of my shares..

is there another cheaper platform ?
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,554
Reaction score
3,238
I am currently using Syfe to invest in S Reits..they charged around $4 per month for around 20k worth of my shares..

is there another cheaper platform ?
With 20k isn't it better you buy the individual REIT instead? Or you prefer to put X dollars buy into such vehicle by Syfe and get many REIT with 20k?
 

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
20,809
Reaction score
1,020
With 20k isn't it better you buy the individual REIT instead? Or you prefer to put X dollars buy into such vehicle by Syfe and get many REIT with 20k?
ya.I dun wanna put my eggs into one basket...
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,554
Reaction score
3,238
ya.I dun wanna put my eggs into one basket...
Noted. You see SGX now is each trade 100 shares unlike my times is 1000. That means per trade say REIT is $1 you pay $100 + broker fees 2-3? With 20k capital you can buy many REIT and choose the ones you want. You can look into Syfe REIT makeup of which REIT and research from there. The broker fees is one off and not recurring.

To me, Syfe REIT benefit those with low capital say 100. They facilitate these low minimum capital but levy a fee. Your capital is huge so no need follow this way to invest IMHO.
 

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
20,809
Reaction score
1,020
Noted. You see SGX now is each trade 100 shares unlike my times is 1000. That means per trade say REIT is $1 you pay $100 + broker fees 2-3? With 20k capital you can buy many REIT and choose the ones you want. You can look into Syfe REIT makeup of which REIT and research from there. The broker fees is one off and not recurring.

To me, Syfe REIT benefit those with low capital say 100. They facilitate these low minimum capital but levy a fee. Your capital is huge so no need follow this way to invest IMHO.
ya.. but means more homework is required to be done...

that's why once I can break even with my current Reit+ I wanna move out of Syfe...but looking for another way to invest in Reits..
 

gnooliew

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
596
Reaction score
118
ya.. but means more homework is required to be done...

that's why once I can break even with my current Reit+ I wanna move out of Syfe...but looking for another way to invest in Reits..

I kinda decided on the opposite of your strategy. I just started to enter in Reit+ given the drop this year. I prefer a diversified ETF/fund instead of stock pick individual reits, which need to deal with rights issue, counter specific issues and individual REIT manager issues. And I get exposure across the different REIT segments, e.g. commercial, retail, logistics, hospitality, industrial.

Reit+ is suitable for my purpose as I intend to slowly invest up to the amount for the lower fees if prices drop further. Also they reinvest the dividends automatically which I prefer at this stage of life. So it is more or less same as ownself buying the REIT ETFs, just more fuss free. Just sharing my consideration.
 

waxqube

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
415
Reaction score
39
I am currently using Syfe to invest in S Reits..they charged around $4 per month for around 20k worth of my shares..

is there another cheaper platform ?
Given the S-REIT ETFs are around 0.60% expense ratio, the only cheaper way is to invest in individual REITs yourself.
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,554
Reaction score
3,238
I kinda decided on the opposite of your strategy. I just started to enter in Reit+ given the drop this year. I prefer a diversified ETF/fund instead of stock pick individual reits, which need to deal with rights issue, counter specific issues and individual REIT manager issues. And I get exposure across the different REIT segments, e.g. commercial, retail, logistics, hospitality, industrial.

Reit+ is suitable for my purpose as I intend to slowly invest up to the amount for the lower fees if prices drop further. Also they reinvest the dividends automatically which I prefer at this stage of life. So it is more or less same as ownself buying the REIT ETFs, just more fuss free. Just sharing my consideration.
This REIT+ is the same concept like fund and ETF underlying is a basket of stocks. Just happen REIT+ is specific to REIT stocks.

So can I know you are same as the other reader going to pump in 20k? If just starting I understand since a small amount get you exposed to so many different REIT of various industries

My question is once you are at 20k of more mark the fees which is recurring is not a criteria in your strategy?
 

gnooliew

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
596
Reaction score
118
This REIT+ is the same concept like fund and ETF underlying is a basket of stocks. Just happen REIT+ is specific to REIT stocks.

So can I know you are same as the other reader going to pump in 20k? If just starting I understand since a small amount get you exposed to so many different REIT of various industries

My question is once you are at 20k of more mark the fees which is recurring is not a criteria in your strategy?
Yes. I intend to invest in batches up to 20k so as to hit the 0.5% lower mgmt fee. And this fee can only be avoided if I don't invest in a fund/etf and buy the specific reit units. However, that generally incurs a min of 0.1% commission + sgx fees at cheaper brokers. Then reinvesting the dividends when it distributes will be another round of commission incurred. So if your goal is to have the lowest fees, then reit+ is not for u. My strategy is to pay a reasonable fee for fuss free, diversified portfolio of 20 reits, which I do not have to actively reinvest the dividends and can invest a small amount every week (if I want).
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,554
Reaction score
3,238
Yes. I intend to invest in batches up to 20k so as to hit the 0.5% lower mgmt fee. And this fee can only be avoided if I don't invest in a fund/etf and buy the specific reit units. However, that generally incurs a min of 0.1% commission + sgx fees at cheaper brokers. Then reinvesting the dividends when it distributes will be another round of commission incurred. So if your goal is to have the lowest fees, then reit+ is not for u. My strategy is to pay a reasonable fee for fuss free, diversified portfolio of 20 reits, which I do not have to actively reinvest the dividends and can invest a small amount every week (if I want).
Not saying you are wrong but most ppl invest in REIT for dividend basically but you seem to do it for capital gains hence prefer dividends reinvested. Nothing wrong with your approach either.

Just inform for some REIT they sometimes give you a chance to exchange for units , dividends , part unit part dividends option. Default if no action is take dividends.
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,554
Reaction score
3,238
Buying individual REIT ok as long as no right issue
I like rights issue becuz it provide me a chance to increase my shareholdings without paying the brokerage fees. But if you do not subscribe to your allotted shares, your total shareholding get diluted after the rights exercise. I think this could be a reason why some buyers do not want rights issue.

A reader in this forum I now know using REIT for capital gain this is new to me becuz I always thought REIT is purely for dividend, capital gain is a bonus but not the main aim. Maybe I need to update myself REIT can be treated as investing for capital gain as higher priority over dividends.
 

zeroX26

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2011
Messages
6,051
Reaction score
3,017
I like rights issue becuz it provide me a chance to increase my shareholdings without paying the brokerage fees. But if you do not subscribe to your allotted shares, your total shareholding get diluted after the rights exercise. I think this could be a reason why some buyers do not want rights issue.

A reader in this forum I now know using REIT for capital gain this is new to me becuz I always thought REIT is purely for dividend, capital gain is a bonus but not the main aim. Maybe I need to update myself REIT can be treated as investing for capital gain as higher priority over dividends.
Not many REITS give great capital gains if you look across the past 5-7 yrs data. If across 13 yrs then yah, got a few notable ones like Parkway, MIT etc.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top