Gigabyte R9 290 4GB Windforce

BlackSmokeInTheSky

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
529
Reaction score
0
I recently purchased the R9 290 Windforce. Great upgrade from my 7970 since im gaming at 1440p!

However Im a bit concerned with the temps. This image shows 10 mins of light websurfing. no youtube or vids. 54 degrees!




And this image shows 30mins of Crysis 3. temps max out at 84 degress but the core speed fluctuates at about 862mhz while it shld be able to get 1040mhz


The temps were taken with my case side cover off. Could there be something wrong with my card or is it normal? I read online reviews the stock default R9 290 idles at only 41 degrees while my windforce is nearer to 47-50 degrees. can the experts advise if I shld rma?
 
Last edited:

hengheng220

Master Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
4,424
Reaction score
7
hi hi i know this is not related to your problem but is it loud when running it at full load?
 

kawaii_boy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
6,544
Reaction score
157
MAX 84 degress at FULL LOAD. Luckily, I'm haven't buy. I'm wait for Powercolor Version. :)


I recently purchased the R9 290 Windforce. Great upgrade from my 7970 since im gaming at 1440p!

However Im a bit concerned with the temps. This image shows 10 mins of light websurfing. no youtube or vids. 54 degrees!




And this image shows 30mins of Crysis 3. temps max out at 84 degress but the core speed fluctuates at about 862mhz while it shld be able to get 1040mhz


The temps were taken with my case side cover off. Could there be something wrong with my card or is it normal? I read online reviews the stock default R9 290 idles at only 41 degrees while my windforce is nearer to 47-50 degrees. can the experts advise if I shld rma?
 

AnTiLooP

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,226
Reaction score
87
The Asus RSeries cards are known to run pretty hot and have a max temp of 95C if i'm not wrong.

i do not use one however I'm almost certain, after reading loads of articles on the product that it's pretty much expected and nothing to worry about.

why not read some reviews from other sources and then make your ciomparison.

also take into account case air flow , ambient temps those kinda of thing.
 

BlackSmokeInTheSky

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
529
Reaction score
0
Fan speeds all stock. Its not noisy at all when at full load. My case has good airflow but I had my case side panels removed just to get be sure.The max load temps Im not so concerned about.. Its the fact that (1) my card is not able to sustain stable core speeds of 1040mhz while gaming and it fluctuates from 800-900+ mhz and (2) idle temps are almost 10 degrees higher than even stock r9 290 which should not be the case with a windforce cooler
 
Last edited:

BlackSmokeInTheSky

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
529
Reaction score
0
hmm fan speeds I set at max from catalyst.. however I only observed it go up to 50+ percent during full load but it still throttles. thru gigabyte ocII software im able to manually adjust the fans more accurately but the fans will go to about 70+ percent which is pretty noisy. but doing so will result in stable core speeds of 1040mhz however i dont think thats how gigabyte intended the card to be.. it shld be stable at stock right? anyway i'll just send my card for a check at the distro n i'll update this tread the outcome. I think i may have got a slightly defective cooler on my card..
 
Last edited:

Swiftbladez

Master Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2006
Messages
4,381
Reaction score
10
how loud is loud? as loud as ref 290? :D

If not maybe its just you expecting too much.

Then again have yet to see any reviews or benchmarks of the gigabyte r9 290 windforce.
 

nuckingfut

Member
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
171
Reaction score
0
I got the same card and same concern as u.. my temp is like 60c surfing web, is this normal ?

also checked my bios version it shows xxx-xxx-xxx
after 10mins web surfing my temp stuck at 83c..
 
Last edited:

AnTiLooP

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,226
Reaction score
87
non ref card is available already locally?

a small percentage was released for sale during the December period in limited quantities... major bulk scheduled for release this month.

it's the December's batch that from GA that likely has the issues as documented in T's HW.
 

koroshiya8

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
37,713
Reaction score
542
i think heading into this card u probably know the heat issues.. but tbh 84deg at full load is much better than 90deg (e.g. GTX590) :D


i will take this anytime !
 

petshopboys

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
5,498
Reaction score
7
a small percentage was released for sale during the December period in limited quantities... major bulk scheduled for release this month.

it's the December's batch that from GA that likely has the issues as documented in T's HW.

any idea when the major bulk coming...I waited till neck long long lolz
 

BlackSmokeInTheSky

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
529
Reaction score
0
i think heading into this card u probably know the heat issues.. but tbh 84deg at full load is much better than 90deg (e.g. GTX590) :D


i will take this anytime !

yeah I know it has heat issues, but this seems worse than stock r9 290. at 84 degrees, the card throttles. i dont get full advertised core speed of 1040mhz. it will fluctuate between 700-900+ mhz instead.

I have to put my fans almost max and set the temps to max 95degrees to get full 1040mhz core speed but the noise will be unbearable for me.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Just have a peace of mind and just go to the service centre and do a diagnostic test. If it is deemed faulty let the distro do an exchange for you.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top