Gpu or cpu upgrade for most performance improvement in csgo

jamesomnipotent

Suspended
Joined
Oct 19, 2013
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys my current build is GTX 660ti / i5-3570k
I would like to invest in either new cpu( i5-6600k) or GPU (rx 480).
Which of the upgrade will significantly increase my fps if I want to play the game at 1080p and get constant 200fps minimum in a death match server .

Any advice and opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
 

FlushX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Messages
10,555
Reaction score
12
Any FPS increase will have an impact on the game regardless of monitor. For those who don't know, you're obviously not a CSGO player
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
anyway CS:GO is CPU intensive, if u have any thing running on the background will affects it as well. and nice OC your chip and see.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,083
Reaction score
1,772
A GPU upgrade will be more beneficial. GTX 1060 and RX480 are similar, so whichever has the better deal. GTX 1070 is preferable if you have the budget.
 

jamesomnipotent

Suspended
Joined
Oct 19, 2013
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the advice. I m a hardcore csgo player and have been playing the game for a very very long long time. And I know that the game s very cpu intensive and with my current build I alr have 300 fps in 4:3 resolution in matchmaking or face it mode. However, I want to play csgo at 1080p so am not too sure if getting either upgrade will cause bottlenecking. Sorry if am wrong about it. Since csgo s a very cpu dependent game will upgrading to i5-6600k will bring out even more smooth gameplay at 1080p . Since csgo s a vey old game and the game release at the same time as gtx 660ti so I assume the old card s strong enough to perform at 1080p. I could be wrong about it so I hope the experts here can help me about this. I really don't want to make the wrong investment as I most play dota2,csgo
 

jamesomnipotent

Suspended
Joined
Oct 19, 2013
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Also if I have heard that I have to get new ddr4 rams as well as the motherboard for i5-6gen cannot support ddr3 rams. Pls advice. I only have around 500$ for the mobo/cpu combo. :(
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Thanks for the advice. I m a hardcore csgo player and have been playing the game for a very very long long time. And I know that the game s very cpu intensive and with my current build I alr have 300 fps in 4:3 resolution in matchmaking or face it mode. However, I want to play csgo at 1080p so am not too sure if getting either upgrade will cause bottlenecking. Sorry if am wrong about it. Since csgo s a very cpu dependent game will upgrading to i5-6600k will bring out even more smooth gameplay at 1080p . Since csgo s a vey old game and the game release at the same time as gtx 660ti so I assume the old card s strong enough to perform at 1080p. I could be wrong about it so I hope the experts here can help me about this. I really don't want to make the wrong investment as I most play dota2,csgo

dota 2 also cpu as well. so if u use 660ti shouldn't have any issues.
 

FlushX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Messages
10,555
Reaction score
12
a GPU upgrade will serve you fine. 1080p isn't that hard to handle, especially for 1060
 

jnashville

Banned
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
4,100
Reaction score
2
yea csgo is cpu intensive.

i have gtx 1080 and is practically wasted as nowadays i just play cs and abit of overwatch.

on 1440p reso and my fps with everything max out ranges sometimes from 250 to 400 plus

I think a gtx 1060 will also get that same frame rate.

csgo on amd ryzen 8 cores 16 threads? =D maybe fps increase alot.
 

jamesomnipotent

Suspended
Joined
Oct 19, 2013
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Everyone's s giving different answers. Am super unsure of what I should upgrade really. The i5-6600k s 15% higher in single core performance to my i5-3570k. But at the same time my gpu s like 4geneeations behind the 1060. So am really unsure which upgrade will yield better performeance on 1920 resolution in the game with low settings. :(. I'm also not sure if csgo s involving more in gpu usage as of now after series of update to the game. Any csgo players with the same situation advice will be greatly appreciated. For hardcore csgo players we know there s a lot of difference with 300gps and 120 fps. It's the smoothness feeling in the game. Not to mention fps dips in the game in different situation
 

FlushX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Messages
10,555
Reaction score
12
Everyone's s giving different answers. Am super unsure of what I should upgrade really. The i5-6600k s 15% higher in single core performance to my i5-3570k. But at the same time my gpu s like 4geneeations behind the 1060. So am really unsure which upgrade will yield better performeance on 1920 resolution in the game with low settings. :(. I'm also not sure if csgo s involving more in gpu usage as of now after series of update to the game. Any csgo players with the same situation advice will be greatly appreciated. For hardcore csgo players we know there s a lot of difference with 300gps and 120 fps. It's the smoothness feeling in the game. Not to mention fps dips in the game in different situation

jnashville and I are avid CSGO players. In fact, it's the only PC game I play :s13:

from my personal experience, a GTX1060 should allow you to clock the highest FPS. However, I noticed a big drop in FPS since early this week.

Initially I thought it's because my GTX970 is not powerful enough to support the new 240Hz monitor that I bought few days ago. But a change to GTX1070 last night did not help my FPS at all, still in the same 100~200 range, and suffering from occasional stuttering which is unbearable.

right now very pek cek, I hope the problem is with the recent CSGO update and not my hardware :(
 

jamesomnipotent

Suspended
Joined
Oct 19, 2013
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
jnashville and I are avid CSGO players. In fact, it's the only PC game I play :s13:

from my personal experience, a GTX1060 should allow you to clock the highest FPS. However, I noticed a big drop in FPS since early this week.

Initially I thought it's because my GTX970 is not powerful enough to support the new 240Hz monitor that I bought few days ago. But a change to GTX1070 last night did not help my FPS at all, still in the same 100~200 range, and suffering from occasional stuttering which is unbearable.

right now very pek cek, I hope the problem is with the recent CSGO update and not my hardware :(





So which do u recommend me to upgrade bro?:)
I think if I continue to play at 4:3 resolution getting the i5-6600k will definitely improve my fps or make it more stable even in Deathmatch server. But if I play on 1920 I think gtx1060 will help a lot because I think I think gtx660ti s not that strong for 1920? Also I'm only play csgo , dota2 and maybe fifa so getting the 1060 is not really worth it right now. Might as well wait for the new card next year if I want the new gpu for future froof?
 

FlushX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Messages
10,555
Reaction score
12
So which do u recommend me to upgrade bro?:)
I think if I continue to play at 4:3 resolution getting the i5-6600k will definitely improve my fps or make it more stable even in Deathmatch server. But if I play on 1920 I think gtx1060 will help a lot because I think I think gtx660ti s not that strong for 1920? Also I'm only play csgo , dota2 and maybe fifa so getting the 1060 is not really worth it right now. Might as well wait for the new card next year if I want the new gpu for future froof?

Personally, I'm not very convinced that a change in processor will provide a substantial fps upgrade. I would rather get a GPU upgrade.

A 6600K will set you back by $320 onwards, not including a Z motherboard and DDR4 ram. $500 budget is definitely not sufficient. And btw, Kaby Lake will release before the next gen GPU.
 

jamesomnipotent

Suspended
Joined
Oct 19, 2013
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Ok thank you everyone for the opinion. It's true that the cpu/mobo/ddr4 rams set will coz like 100+more if am not wrong. I really hope I will not regret getting new gpu instead of CPU :).
 

jamesomnipotent

Suspended
Joined
Oct 19, 2013
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Personally, I'm not very convinced that a change in processor will provide a substantial fps upgrade. I would rather get a GPU upgrade.

A 6600K will set you back by $320 onwards, not including a Z motherboard and DDR4 ram. $500 budget is definitely not sufficient. And btw, Kaby Lake will release before the next gen GPU.



Gtx1060 3gb or 6GB ? Mostly for csgo / dota2.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top