GST on items purchased overseas

Endless09

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2018
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
Dear All,

I need advice on the GST on items purchased overseas. From the GST table, it mentioned that time spent away from Singapore for more than 48hrs, the value of goods granted for GST relief is $600.

Assuming that I have a friend who is SPR but majority of his time he is staying in Malaysia. When he come and visit me in Singapore and purchase goods that is within the $600 guideline, is it legal? Is there any special scenario that we should take note of?
 

Parmesean

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2016
Messages
714
Reaction score
2
Dear All,

I need advice on the GST on items purchased overseas. From the GST table, it mentioned that time spent away from Singapore for more than 48hrs, the value of goods granted for GST relief is $600.

Assuming that I have a friend who is SPR but majority of his time he is staying in Malaysia. When he come and visit me in Singapore and purchase goods that is within the $600 guideline, is it legal? Is there any special scenario that we should take note of?

I believe that table is for tourists coming into Singapore, not Permanent Residents or Citizens.
 

therat

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,771
Reaction score
225
https://www.customs.gov.sg/individu...toms/arrival/declaration-and-payment-of-taxes

Under Singapore’s laws, arriving travellers are required to declare and pay the duty and Goods and Services Tax (GST) to bring in dutiable and taxable goods exceeding their duty-free concession and GST relief. This is applicable whether the goods were purchased overseas or in Singapore.

=================
arriving travellers.. should be regardless tourist, citizen, PR
 

Endless09

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2018
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
Thanks. Just that the permanent staying in Malaysia make this matter confused. I guess you are right.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top