So I steeled myself and got me a HGUC Delta Gundam on Thursday and spent the weekend nights working on it. The price that I got for was on the steeper side of 78.30 [Comics Conenction Member Price] since all Dhoby Ghaut's hobby shop stocks were out by then.
This is my first time making a chromed gundam and it was quite a fun and relaxing build, mostly attributed to the undergate feature. Thus I wasn't compelled to do any gluing, sanding, painting or decaling.
I've been working on older released HGs and have not touched my Banshee etc, so I might be wrong in saying this but, the Delta Gundam's plastic were softer and easier to sand than normal HG. It's almost like RG's plastic, easy to remove the nubs. This is obvious when working with the torso and feet.
I shall not bore you peeps more with text but if you're working with the Delta Gundam, a few things to note:
[1] Do not let cement glue touch the chrome. It'll start to turn silver. I tested it by brushing some cement glue on the sprues.
[2] When panel-lining, it's advisable to use a pen over lacquer, because if you rub a tad too hard using Zippo etc, the chrome will be removed.
[3] There's 2 gold piece version, those with undergates and those without. The ones with undergates can be removed nicely using a proper cutter but for those without undergates, like the upper arms, be careful or you'll have a large cutting mark.
[4] Gloss coat will diminish your chrome. I top coated some sprues and it turned chromish yellow, and not chromish gold. Not really nice, almost looks like the SF's tacky joints.
[5] You can however, apply Gundam markers directly on the gold. I used the sparkling red instead of stickers and it worked kinda better than say, using stickers.
Overall, the Delta Gundam is a tall-lanky machine which is a little skinny in my opinion and the transformation gimmicks means parts fall apart/move more than you want it. Prominent in the legs and waist areas when trying to pose.
Also, the shield, while very beautiful, is very heavy and the joints connecting to the hand is an almost-useless peg and slot.
The price is justified by the amazing number of gold parts, they even have a lot of extra gold parts, like an additional set of front skirts and the undergating features. The overall OOB will please the average modeller and if you can, an action base will provide opportunities for fantastic poses.
PS: My Delta Gundam DID NOT come with a PS3 DLC code.