Gundam Modeling Official thread - Part 5

tuner

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2002
Messages
1,104
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I'm recently new to the hobby and I have been enjoying it so far. But I'm still pretty new to some things. I've already finished my first build and working on my second.

Links to my builds :

SD knight Gundam

WIP Drei Gundam

I know they're pretty bad but I'm trying my best. I have a question about nub marks. I know you should use a hobby knight/pliers to clip off the piece and then sand it down. But usually after I do that, my piece will probably have a small mark or some white marks. I usually then use a gundam marker with the corresponding color and "paint" over it. Then I use an eraser to rub away the excess. The result is pretty okay. But I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I visit HAW and they told me a method called decrystalizing (I think?) but they weren't really free to teach me.

I would appreciate any tips. I know my kits aren't exactly good but I'm trying.

Thanks for reading.

When you go into full painting of the kit using acrylic/water based paints or spray painting, usually a layer of white/grey base primer is applied after the sanding and smoothing work is done, that would cover the small/white mark giving you a good overall coat of paint.

Good start off with your SD Knight!
 

kiradex

Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
even with the same colour markers, there is still slight difference in the colour tone as well as texture


ur painted areas are a bit uneven, but that is the usual problem with using markers. u can try using paint brush or spraycan if u want to have better finishing. ur panel lines are uneven at certain parts. u can use a soft eraser to clean up the panel lines before it is dry

Yes I noticed that with the texture. It might be okay to see, but touching it you can feel the difference. It covers the shine too. But it looks to cover up the marks and stuff. So yeah.

Panel lines wise, I always end up rubbing everything off. I tried to use a cotton bud to dap it but it just smudges and then I go erase it and end up erasing everything. Lol. :( I tried really hard to make the panel lines just nice and not pop out thick as hell but as you can see.. Lol. I know some parts I got it right. but when I try to recreate it it just... looks thick and ugly again.

That's my 1st and 2nd build. How would you rate them? I actually am looking for some feedback. I tried to bring it to HAW but caught them on a bad day so they were doing their stock take and couldn't really talk to me.

Thank you again for the advice.

event paint brush on large area will have brush strokes.... try to use AB... IF NOT spray can...

i only use brush on repainting transformers... gundams usually spray...
my latest works on ironhide all using brush
10838004_10152562411316332_2776541002963100027_o.jpg

Wow, that's some really nice work you have. I'm kinda jealous you have the skills to do that. Haha. I'm trying really hard but sometimes things just smudges and everything.

The marker wise.. I actually order somemore to keep just incase as I'll be building eins and zwei soon. ordered some markers to match their color schemes...

When you go into full painting of the kit using acrylic/water based paints or spray painting, usually a layer of white/grey base primer is applied after the sanding and smoothing work is done, that would cover the small/white mark giving you a good overall coat of paint.

Good start off with your SD Knight!

Ah, but I'm not really looking to paint. Not as of yet. I'm not that high level yet unfortunately. Like I said above, just even bought more gundam markers to match the kits I plan to build now :(. Man I feel kinda stupid now since people don't really do that and well, it kinda doesn't really help? Even though it LOOKs okay.

Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I'm hoping Drei turns out well. But the panel lining... not say very good on the knees. Even though I tried to thin it out. I wonder if I can rub it away now since it probably dried.
 
Last edited:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
17,525
Reaction score
24
I would say that is a very good first attempt!
I actually did only snapfitting for many year before venturing into painting with handbrush.


if u are interested, there is a modelling club at Bishan CC which is open every sunday afternoon. I am a member there, and there are other members where are quite pro. so u can drop by and take a look and get some pointers
 

kiradex

Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
I would say that is a very good first attempt!
I actually did only snapfitting for many year before venturing into painting with handbrush.


if u are interested, there is a modelling club at Bishan CC which is open every sunday afternoon. I am a member there, and there are other members where are quite pro. so u can drop by and take a look and get some pointers

Ah, I'll keep that in mind. This coming weekend will be rather packed. So it will be a little hard.

Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback! I know it's a hobby but I welcome criticism and I really want to make my gunplas look beautiful. I think I'm not touching some of my backlog until I really have the confidence to make them look good as they're my favorite gundams. It would be heartbreaking if I made them and they sucked.

Yeah, I actually have a rather big backlog.. >_> I suddenly had a urge of gunplas as some were given as gifts. I never thought about delving into this hobby as previously when I was young, I bought a 1 color kit from NTUC and tried fixing it only for it to look lousy (as it was unpainted) and full of nubs. So yeah. Kinda surprised I'm picking it up.
 

tuner

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2002
Messages
1,104
Reaction score
0
Ah, but I'm not really looking to paint. Not as of yet. I'm not that high level yet unfortunately. Like I said above, just even bought more gundam markers to match the kits I plan to build now :(. Man I feel kinda stupid now since people don't really do that and well, it kinda doesn't really help? Even though it LOOKs okay.

Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I'm hoping Drei turns out well. But the panel lining... not say very good on the knees. Even though I tried to thin it out. I wonder if I can rub it away now since it probably dried.

I'm too not a "pro" in these kit building. In fact like you, when I started off on the first few SD kits, it's just snap fit and stickers then saw Metro selling Gundam markers, got a few n painted some parts, nice, okay lah. Shortly after, saw one of my friends having a few modelling paints, borrowed a few basic colors and started painting and hey, kit looks so much nicer n "displayable" now and cost of the water based paint is almost same as gundam markers, low maintenance too. There goes, went a little deeper, joined one of the novice classes with some of the guys here at Beach Road CC then, pick up a few more skill. Did a few kits using spray cans and that's about it. Still have close to 100 more SD kits backlog that should last till retirement age!

This my "proud" collection of SD.... SDTuner
 

jarred1223

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
18,631
Reaction score
2
any idea where to get replacement parts? broke the inner frame for RG wing zero left arm :(
 

kiradex

Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
I'm too not a "pro" in these kit building. In fact like you, when I started off on the first few SD kits, it's just snap fit and stickers then saw Metro selling Gundam markers, got a few n painted some parts, nice, okay lah. Shortly after, saw one of my friends having a few modelling paints, borrowed a few basic colors and started painting and hey, kit looks so much nicer n "displayable" now and cost of the water based paint is almost same as gundam markers, low maintenance too. There goes, went a little deeper, joined one of the novice classes with some of the guys here at Beach Road CC then, pick up a few more skill. Did a few kits using spray cans and that's about it. Still have close to 100 more SD kits backlog that should last till retirement age!

This my "proud" collection of SD.... SDTuner

Wa, that's a nice collection. :s13::s22: . Amazing as well. Maybe my log will grow to that big one day. But I recently finished my 2nd build and although I made lots of mistakes, I think I'm getting the hang of things. I might be thinking about picking up spray painting. But I'm still cautious as I haven't even properly learn how to top coat. Haha.

Wa, your backlog, abit extreme no? Lol. But good I guess. Good to know what you have to build and start working on it. I'm still trying to find some kits which are hard to find now. So yeah. :(
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top