- Joined
- Jan 16, 2004
- Messages
- 39,186
- Reaction score
- 382
Recently, I just got to try the latest crazy gaming rig by Asus, the ROG GT51.
Why crazy? Firstly, the specs are pretty crazy. Right, Intel Core i7-6700K - normal. 64GB DDR4 RAM - Over the top. GTX Titan X in SLI, each having 12GB of memory - madness! (Note: it is the last gen GTX Titan X, not the 2016 one).
Not only that, the machine is seriously very big. In fact, it’s so big, it cannot fit into my home’s study room area, so I had to set it up in the living room.
Anyway, the other reason why I had to set it up in the living room is that I do not have a 4K monitor, and thus have to rely on my 4K TV for running games in 4K.
So how does the GT51 perform in 4K Gaming? I’ll say, not too bad. I’ve tried playing some games: Here is a recording for GTA V.
Note that the FPS cap is 30. This is because with my 4K TV, the max refresh rate that I can set on my machine is 30 Hz, for some reason.
GTA V: All settings maxed out
Not too shabby, I must say!
In real, playing the game is rather smooth, though to be frank, it’s kind of hard to game it with a 4K TV; a 4K monitor will do instead. Then again, it’s a demonstration!
Aesthetics wise, the casing is pretty cool. It has the signature Mayan design that they also adopt in their other ROG series (minus the GT11 - that one is not high powered enough). What makes it stand out is this:
With puslating lighting that I can customize, it surely makes the GT51 look as though the high power graphics are powered by ion engines
The front facing ports are pretty generous - they have 2 USB3.0 ports, 1 USB3.1 Type A/10G port, and a USB-C Quick Charge port.
Another feature of the GT51 is the capability of overclocking without having to restart the system. The cooling system is designed cleverly in such a way that it is able to decrease temperature by up till 31%. With a liquid cooling system in place, the processor can be overclocked up to 4.6GHz, and memory speed go up til 2800 MHz.
How to overclock? On traditional machines, one has to go play with settings in BIOS, then restart. For GT51, I just need to tap on the left button in the machine to overclock. Nifty!
To better control overclocking, gaming resources, and lighting effects, Asus has this AEGIS II tool. It allows you to fine tune overclocking, change the “ion engine” lightings, and also to release resources for some hardcore gaming.
The package also contains an ROG band. When this band is tapped on the front side of the chassis, a shadow drive will be shown. In my opinion, while this is good for gamers who have, ahem, something to hide, it is just gimmick to me.
So is it worth buying? Let’s talk about its SRP first: $7498. Not sure about street pricing now, but based on this SRP, it will be better if the GT51 has the latest generation of GTX Titan X, or maybe GTX 1080. With the release of these latest cards, the GT51, though powerful, suddenly felt very last generation. Looks like Asus got to refresh the GT51 with these latest graphics cards to remain competitive, or drastically lower the SRP accordi
Last edited:


