Hanoi trip

baracuda

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2000
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, i am planning for a 5D4N trip at hanoi also inclusive of halong bay this june. I need some advise especially on the trip to halong bay as still deciding on 2D1N or 3D2N at there. Regarding the cruise at halong bay, any recommendations on it from your experience?? Appreciate for your replies. Thank you
 

nancy121

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
My cousin has just returned from Hanoi and he did a 2 day cruise on Red Dragon cruise. He really enjoyed his time as the crew was very helpful. The cabin was comfortable, boat was quite clean and the food was also nice.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
I spent 2D1N at Halong Bay. The night was spent at sea as the junk moored in a quiet bay. The other night's extension usually meant a stay at Cat Ba island.
 

Thai_Rak_Thai

Master Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Messages
4,792
Reaction score
557
Guys,

Any decent hotels in Hanoi with range of below USD100?

I've been to Ho Chi Minh and didn't really enjoyed my trip (was staying at New World Saigon), will Hanoi be any different?

thanks
 

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Messages
71,239
Reaction score
853
Hotels that expensive in Hanoi? I don't think so though I never been to.
I find Hanoi is less of tourist attraction compared to HCM.

HCM a decent one cost like 50USD+-..
So I'm guessing Hanoi should be around the range or bit lesser.

I stayed in HCM at backpackers streets, place is decent enough for me. 20+USD per night.

Unless you're talking about those 5 star one.
 

n2btg

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2001
Messages
7,583
Reaction score
1,561
You can get very clean and decent hotel in Hanoi for less than USD50 a night, breakfast included.

Just look for one in tripadvisor website.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
Funny how one can form an opinion about a place without ever been there. Anyway, I find Hanoi more interesting than HCM City and I have been to both. One who wants to see history and have a better understanding of traditional Vietnamese culture ought to find Hanoi more interesting. It is certainly less commercial than its southern counterpart. Northerners are different from Southerners, in any case. Hanoi is mostly about government and culture, whereas HCM City is more about business and money. The old quarter of Hanoi is fairly authentic and preserved, along with much of its colonial heritage. The shopping is not fantastic, but you will come away with nice pictures and knowledge.
 

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Messages
71,239
Reaction score
853
Funny how one can form an opinion about a place without ever been there. Anyway, I find Hanoi more interesting than HCM City and I have been to both. One who wants to see history and have a better understanding of traditional Vietnamese culture ought to find Hanoi more interesting. It is certainly less commercial than its southern counterpart. Northerners are different from Southerners, in any case. Hanoi is mostly about government and culture, whereas HCM City is more about business and money. The old quarter of Hanoi is fairly authentic and preserved, along with much of its colonial heritage. The shopping is not fantastic, but you will come away with nice pictures and knowledge.

Com'on..

I did mentioned that 'I find'.
Before I head to HCM, I did my research on Hanoi as well before deciding.

And I will definitely be heading to Hanoi sometime in future.
 

le_mon

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
323
Reaction score
1
i went 2D1N with bhaya cruise, very good experience & service, maybe that's y i feel its a lil too short. i missed the food that they prepared.

Day 1- lunch, take small boat to fishing village, recreation time (u can book massage/ jump into the water to swim), dinner & recreation time (they provide free fishing rod/ watch some french movie/ chill at the roof deck).
Day 2- morn yoga, breakfast, brought us to the cave & lunch.

the only thing i don't like is the 4hrs+ bus journey from hanoi to halong bay, the road nt very straight, so it's a lil uncomfortable.

if u tour around hanoi, u can engage the free tour with the hanoi kids, pretty helpful. old quarters is quite unique, i didn't get to comb finish. i rmb the cufflinks at dong xuan market is really cheap, cost less than $5 for a pair, some shopping allows us to use usd (which is cheaper for us for nw).
 

Olegna

Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2013
Messages
144
Reaction score
1
Trip Report - Hanoi and Tam Coc

Hope everybody can learn and enjoy this trip, as much as we did, this is our travel blog on it -

feastntravel.com/2013/03/03/hanoi-halong-and-tam-coc-a-journey-to-nature/
 

jingle_babble

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2006
Messages
858
Reaction score
0
thinking of doing a trip to Hanoi or HCM and maybe bring some lacquer art/decor back for the house... any suggestion for a place to shop for those?
Thx!
 

butterbarter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
1,714
Reaction score
0
I've been to both HCMC and Hanoi. I actually like both of them equally. Also, both have roads that are crazy-filled with motorcycles. The first time I visited (Hanoi was first), it took me 10 minutes to cross a street.

After that, I learned the secret of crossing streets (traffic lights are ignored by drivers/riders, don't wait for traffic to clear as it will never happen, just walk across slow and steady, don't make sudden moves, and keep an eye on the bikes coming towards you and ensure they see you), and it was all smooth sailing.

I took the 2D1N Halung Bay trip. I think that's enough, as you would have gone around Halung bay and seen much of it. I spent 1 night sleeping in the ship moored in calm waters. Very clean and comfy, but the bathroom was super small. Important: ask for a room AWAY from the engine room for peace and quiet. The cruise itself was very enjoyable as long as the weather is good. Just relax on the sun-chairs on the ship's deck and enjoy the blue skies, awesome seascape and impressive rock formations. It's heart-breaking to see pollution in the water (patches of floating plastic and rubbish are fairly common) amongst such natural beauty.

From Hanoi, you can also take a day trip to Tam Coc (1 day) to see the limestone karsts(nice, though not as spectacular as Halung Bay), and also a trip to Sapa (I suggest 3D2N), which is a totally different experience and highly recommended.

Small, clean, decent hotels in Hanoi are around 30-40 USD. Obviously for this price, you are not getting the Intercontinental or Hilton. These are typically private hotels with around 10-rooms with aircon, TV, attached bath, a proper reception, bell boy, and usually includes breakfast. You will find lots of options in Agoda.com.
 
Last edited:

mngedo

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2006
Messages
756
Reaction score
7
Hi all,

Sorry to be digging out this Hanoi thread. Does anyone have any hotels recomendations in a fantastic location? I have looked on TA and there are like hundreds of hotels with equally good reviews (and makes you wonder if they are reak reviews) and i am really confused. Would like to hear from personal experiences here as a reliable source.

Thank you!
 

mlangelo

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
883
Reaction score
123
My recommendations would be to choose the hotel in Old Quarters. Full of life and character. The hotel I stayed in is ranked 332 out of 493 Hanoi hotels. So there are many good ones in the Old quarters. Yet I had a good stay there and made friends with the hotel staff. Read Tripadvisor and get a feel of the place. I booked my tours from the hotel based on the staff's recommendations and had a good time. Lots of food and shopping in that area.
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
Hi all,

Sorry to be digging out this Hanoi thread. Does anyone have any hotels recomendations in a fantastic location? I have looked on TA and there are like hundreds of hotels with equally good reviews (and makes you wonder if they are reak reviews) and i am really confused. Would like to hear from personal experiences here as a reliable source.

Thank you!

Check out Maison D Hanoi Boutique Hotel. Amazing value. Sleep quality rivals Marriott hotels. I was giuven a room with a balcony and for a moment I thought I was in Madrid.
 
Last edited:

slandtravel

Junior Member
Joined
May 31, 2014
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

Sorry to be digging out this Hanoi thread. Does anyone have any hotels recomendations in a fantastic location? I have looked on TA and there are like hundreds of hotels with equally good reviews (and makes you wonder if they are reak reviews) and i am really confused. Would like to hear from personal experiences here as a reliable source.

Thank you!
Depend on ur budget~~ how much do u want to stay in range of 20--30usd or 30--50usd...Ther r so plenty of hotels ard Hanoi Old Quarter..The price is quite cheap..
 

seahorse

Member
Joined
May 28, 2009
Messages
203
Reaction score
0
I just cancel my booking with La Storia Ruby Hotel cos a service apartment from air bnb caught our attention. High rating, good reviews & more than 50% saving. 1 minute walking distance to La Storia Ruby Hotel
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top