Harmony OS is to breakthrough android OS limitation

bakayarou

Reaction score
Hi all,

Watch the below Youtube video.

Especially from 2.29 to 3.38 minute, it explain how Harmony OS breakthrough android OS limitation

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for a thread on the HarmonyOS but like no one post...

Actually most of the things 'pioneered' is not really new imo. It is just that Huawei consolidated them. The Android OS limitation I am thinking - is it really an OS limitation or is that something Google trying to restrict to its Google Cast? If you cast, video + audio is playable, no?

The ability to make all the eco systems 'work' or transfer files between phones, tablet and PC resembles so much of the Apple eco system. The HarmonyOS it self on phone and tablet resembles so much of iOS...

Anyway, it is interesting to use the phone on your PC - but honestly, how many people will do this? And the ability to use the phone like a desktop is already on Samsung Dex.

Something to keep in mind is that this is a promo video, need to see how the real system work. In the past, there was also some sort of software that can also sync to two devices (Phone and PC) but ended up being very slow as well.

Also lastly on the part of using your phone as the HUB for all your electronic appliances or that having those appliances to support Harmony OS - i think this is really tough. how to get other appliances to support harmony OS? especailly for european home devices?

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Huawei is trying to emulate an Apple or Xiaomi ecosystem with its HarmonyOS. If it lowers its profit margin, probably the more affordable gadgets will have more end-users and appliance makers' support.

tazy_tazy

Reaction score
I'm really excited about Huawei Eco-system. But again, the tablet and watch are not affordable to begin with. The price are even more expensive than Samsung high end products. So...I will probably skip...

007Mi6

Reaction score
Huawei will not sell phone any more. More like it would be a software developer to create that kind of eco system to integrate the different things we use like Aircon, TV, Fridge, Watch, Fan etc.

Google was never meant to be such an integrator as they have different teams working individually. Apple is better in this aspect as they have different products to sell as an experience.

Xiaomi eco system will never work, even their software on their phones is way behind.

bratpig

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for a thread on the HarmonyOS but like no one post...

Actually most of the things 'pioneered' is not really new imo. It is just that Huawei consolidated them. The Android OS limitation I am thinking - is it really an OS limitation or is that something Google trying to restrict to its Google Cast? If you cast, video + audio is playable, no?

The ability to make all the eco systems 'work' or transfer files between phones, tablet and PC resembles so much of the Apple eco system. The HarmonyOS it self on phone and tablet resembles so much of iOS...

Anyway, it is interesting to use the phone on your PC - but honestly, how many people will do this? And the ability to use the phone like a desktop is already on Samsung Dex.

Something to keep in mind is that this is a promo video, need to see how the real system work. In the past, there was also some sort of software that can also sync to two devices (Phone and PC) but ended up being very slow as well.

Also lastly on the part of using your phone as the HUB for all your electronic appliances or that having those appliances to support Harmony OS - i think this is really tough. how to get other appliances to support harmony OS? especailly for european home devices?
Android was a copy of IOS. In the early days, Samsung, Google and Apple were suing each other for breakfast. Look at where Samsung and Google are now. Technology is always improving. Most are riding on the success of others.

Samsung Dex is a different thing altogether imho. Dex is trying to use the phone as a pc. The better example may be Windows phone companion. Anyway, it is a pain to use either. Huawei's method is more direct and user friendly from some of the Youtube videos. It's still early. Let's see how it works out.

Newer technology should always be embraced with an open mind. Technology will only be improved when there are more users.

draco76x

Reaction score
Android was a copy of IOS. In the early days, Samsung, Google and Apple were suing each other for breakfast. Look at where Samsung and Google are now. Technology is always improving. Most are riding on the success of others.

Samsung Dex is a different thing altogether imho. Dex is trying to use the phone as a pc. The better example may be Windows phone companion. Anyway, it is a pain to use either. Huawei's method is more direct and user friendly from some of the Youtube videos. It's still early. Let's see how it works out.

Newer technology should always be embraced with an open mind. Technology will only be improved when there are more users.

Agreed with bratpig that we should always embraced new technology with Open Mind set. (y)

If look closely that Microsoft, Apple & Google (All American :LOL: ) are trying their best to integrate their competitors apps into their ecosystem so that they can promote "Seamless" workflow between devices.
But because of "Profit", they created their own software store and try to lure the developers to join them, if one of them step into their territory, they will sue each other. :devilish:

Apple don't give a damn, they just want to lock user into their ecosystem & close their "Door".
Google don't care, they have a lot of developers & Android apps, they can always cancel a project if they not happy.
Microsoft is stuck with his legacy apps that if they tried to get rid the legacy apps, they will lose a lot of market shares, they also slow in catching up & they AXE their project very frequently if not making money.

So far what I see is that Harmony OS is "Learning" the mistakes of the 3 company and do what they cannot do.
- Apple close door & can use only their own device, HW open door & join with others hardware manufacturers to connect more different devices.

- Google's Android is very fragmented & buggy, HW "consoildate" the core of Android & make it efficient & more robust on different devices (Harmony OS)

- Microsoft slow in integration & software development to break the barrier of devices, HW invested more R&D & Open Source, at the same time fine tune their software to speed up the "Connecting" all devices seamless as possible.

I hope that Huawei's Harmony OS can succeed so that there will be competition instead of the 3 American company dominant the World with their own technology.

bakayarou

Reaction score
XDA-Developer in GSMarena wrote this:

https://www.gsmarena.com/newscomm-49446.php

HarmonyOS 2.0 is an incredibly promising and versatile mobile operating system platform. I've dug into the HarnonyOS 2.0 code and have found source from seven different open source platforms.

Despite what outlets like Android Authority are claiming, Huawei,'s new OS is not a mere Android fork. In fact, in order for most standard Android apps to run, the code first needs to be modified with the Ark Compiler -- a relatively straightforward process.

Although just released to the public, the kernel source is already unofficially available for two models of the Huawei MatePad Pro 5G and will be released from Huawei officially in the coming weeks. This is promising news for the development community.

The HarnonyOS 2.0 microkernel protocol is actually superior to AOSP Android in terms of security and application sandboxing.

Huawei has compiled it using upstream Linux and additional modules from LiteOS. The OS has many AOSP Android characteristics, but with a feel of something fresh, new and unexplored. The interface itself uses some of the most popular EMUI cherry picks.

In a nutshell, Huawei's new OS platform looks and feels incredible to be in its infancy. A great deal of development and beta testing preceded the public release and it certainly shows.

If I had to rate HarmonyOS 2.0, it would get a 10 out of 10 from me for sure.

tazy_tazy

Reaction score
XDA-Developer in GSMarena wrote this:

https://www.gsmarena.com/newscomm-49446.php

HarmonyOS 2.0 is an incredibly promising and versatile mobile operating system platform. I've dug into the HarnonyOS 2.0 code and have found source from seven different open source platforms.

Despite what outlets like Android Authority are claiming, Huawei,'s new OS is not a mere Android fork. In fact, in order for most standard Android apps to run, the code first needs to be modified with the Ark Compiler -- a relatively straightforward process.

Although just released to the public, the kernel source is already unofficially available for two models of the Huawei MatePad Pro 5G and will be released from Huawei officially in the coming weeks. This is promising news for the development community.

The HarnonyOS 2.0 microkernel protocol is actually superior to AOSP Android in terms of security and application sandboxing.

Huawei has compiled it using upstream Linux and additional modules from LiteOS. The OS has many AOSP Android characteristics, but with a feel of something fresh, new and unexplored. The interface itself uses some of the most popular EMUI cherry picks.

In a nutshell, Huawei's new OS platform looks and feels incredible to be in its infancy. A great deal of development and beta testing preceded the public release and it certainly shows.

If I had to rate HarmonyOS 2.0, it would get a 10 out of 10 from me for sure.

After the release, I'm really keen on their OS and it does look promising. Their Ecosystem looks well integrated. But then, it is not cheap to jump into their ecosystem looking at the pricing of their newly release watch, tablets etc. Another issue is Our local developer are not going to create apps for HarmonyOS if the local harmonyOS user is not a lot to begin with.

Imagine our banks app, govt app, company apps not usable in HarmonyOS....

bratpig

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think I'll start by getting their matepad pro.

If cannot use, at least a tablet is not disruptive

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the ultimate cross devices communication would be families/colleagues sharing photos and document via super device.

I'm now sharing photos with my wife using Huawei share, which I'm very impressed with the transfer speed.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.