Has anyone successfully installed win8 on their mac?

runforyourlife

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 17, 2011
Messages
47,253
Reaction score
5,238
reyed selling.I wanna buy as bootcamp but no dare lol..and.dunno how to setup using.digital ISo
 

Rmondo

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2013
Messages
880
Reaction score
0
reyed selling.I wanna buy as bootcamp but no dare lol..and.dunno how to setup using.digital ISo

I have a copy of the win 8 from my previous upgrade on my win 7 laptop. Now I'm thinking of transferring over, but meeting with a ****load of problems.

For one you can't do an install from scratch using win 8 alone. I called them up and apparently you MUST have a previous version of windows, ie 7 or vista to be able to update to 8 and activate it.

Feel kinda cheated now, they weren't too explicit about the fact that its purely "upgrade" only.
 

borealiszio

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
0
some insight is needed on the steps and procedures for clean install.

Had Win 8 Running on Parallels as for Bootcamp below are my summarise steps.

1) Prepare a 4GB Thumbdrive
2) Open bootcamp assistant
3) Create a bootable USB
4) Download Win 8 bootcamp software
5) Install the .pkg file after which open .dmg and drag into another USB
6) Allocate space on how much you want your windows space to be.
7) Just follow the on screen step when your mac reboot
8) On windows installation page you might need to format the bootcamp drive
9) After windows successfully installed, use the "2nd USB" to install all the required software.

Hopefully it serve as some guide. I do not have win 8 running on bootcamp as my Imac don't support it i think. But i do have Win 7 Ultimate on my bootcamp and Win 8 on parallels. Everything works fine.
 

borealiszio

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
0
I have a copy of the win 8 from my previous upgrade on my win 7 laptop. Now I'm thinking of transferring over, but meeting with a ****load of problems.

For one you can't do an install from scratch using win 8 alone. I called them up and apparently you MUST have a previous version of windows, ie 7 or vista to be able to update to 8 and activate it.

Feel kinda cheated now, they weren't too explicit about the fact that its purely "upgrade" only.

Nope you do not need to have previous version. You just have to edit some files for it to work. I can install win 8 and activate without previous version of windows.
 

Rmondo

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2013
Messages
880
Reaction score
0
Nope you do not need to have previous version. You just have to edit some files for it to work. I can install win 8 and activate without previous version of windows.

hey care to share how? Because I did manage to install it together with the drivers, but there's reduced functionality, i.e can't change wallpaper, etc. And I realized that even though the cd key was accepted for installation, it wasn't and can't be activated. It keeps showing as the key is being used on another computer, which is my old laptop.

And I called up microsoft today, the guy insisted that if you don't have a previous copy of windows installed, even if it were activated, it will not function as it should. Not sure if he was bull****ting me, or it's some underhand means by microsoft to get you to buy another copy of the previous OS.
 

ahkaiz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
8,803
Reaction score
89
being using window 8 via bootcamp on my mac mini since i bought it afew months ago. no problem
 

borealiszio

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
0
hey care to share how? Because I did manage to install it together with the drivers, but there's reduced functionality, i.e can't change wallpaper, etc. And I realized that even though the cd key was accepted for installation, it wasn't and can't be activated. It keeps showing as the key is being used on another computer, which is my old laptop.

And I called up microsoft today, the guy insisted that if you don't have a previous copy of windows installed, even if it were activated, it will not function as it should. Not sure if he was bull****ting me, or it's some underhand means by microsoft to get you to buy another copy of the previous OS.

You got a PM already =D steps in in the PM hope it helps u. If the CD key was accepted upon installation, just follow my steps should be fine =D
 
Last edited:

Eightfold

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2007
Messages
1,559
Reaction score
1
iMac 2011, Windows 8 via bootcamp - OK..

Those without optical drive, also possible.. google there are many guides out there
 

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
7,766
Reaction score
11
hey care to share how? Because I did manage to install it together with the drivers, but there's reduced functionality, i.e can't change wallpaper, etc. And I realized that even though the cd key was accepted for installation, it wasn't and can't be activated. It keeps showing as the key is being used on another computer, which is my old laptop.

And I called up microsoft today, the guy insisted that if you don't have a previous copy of windows installed, even if it were activated, it will not function as it should. Not sure if he was bull****ting me, or it's some underhand means by microsoft to get you to buy another copy of the previous OS.

You don't need a previous installation of windows. All you need is a valid ISO downloaded directly from Microsoft.

I have a fresh install of Win 8 here if you want to take a look.
 

zhewei_83

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Messages
207
Reaction score
0
Just take note that apple has official bootcamp support for windows 8 for recently released Mac OS 10.8.3.
 

runforyourlife

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 17, 2011
Messages
47,253
Reaction score
5,238
i have tried the entire night. Would appreciate some help... I am stucked at the 'bootable disk required. please insert disc and press any key' and i cant do anything.

my steps are as follows:

1) click all 3 options in bootcamp
2) put iso into a portable hard disk
3) download the updates into the same portable hard disk
4) partition properly (60gb for windows)
5) system auto reboot
6) ERROR CANNOT FIND BOOTABLE DISK !!!

AHHHHHHH, where is the error guys?
 

trans168

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
400
Reaction score
0
I have a copy of the win 8 from my previous upgrade on my win 7 laptop. Now I'm thinking of transferring over, but meeting with a ****load of problems.

For one you can't do an install from scratch using win 8 alone. I called them up and apparently you MUST have a previous version of windows, ie 7 or vista to be able to update to 8 and activate it.

Feel kinda cheated now, they weren't too explicit about the fact that its purely "upgrade" only.

That's the strategy Microsoft use to get you to buy the full version.
 

borealiszio

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
0
That's the strategy Microsoft use to get you to buy the full version.

i thought me and a couple of forumer make it very clear that it's possible to install win 8 ALONE with just a legit cd key... i even pm a few forumer to teach them a workaround. in case your cd wont work even though it's legit.

it's possible to install win 8 with just the .iso alone directly onto your systerm without win 7.
 

hiwaystar97

Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
304
Reaction score
0
Hi where do I download a windows 8 bootable iso ?
Have searched whole day on google but not successful
I have a external optical drive and a fresh copy of windows 8
Hopefully someone can guide me
 

Hannslenov

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2010
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
last sunday, I bought parallels + win 8 bundle for $179. After deducting ns45 voucher of $60, I paid 119. Set up was breeze. Got everything up within 30 mins. No problem since, no lag.
 

hLsY

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2003
Messages
8,498
Reaction score
0
last sunday, I bought parallels + win 8 bundle for $179. After deducting ns45 voucher of $60, I paid 119. Set up was breeze. Got everything up within 30 mins. No problem since, no lag.

Mind sharing where u got this bundle from? Thanks..
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top