Haswell-E Reviews Finally Out!!

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
AnandTech | Home

Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews

HARDOCP - HardOCP Computer Hardware Reviews and News

After reading the reviews... I am like ok.... Looks like HE does offer hardly any benefits to gamers (no different from IBE, SBE). DDR4 and extra cache do boost up frame rates a little. but I feel its way too small to justify the price tag.

Overclocking is not really good as well. I guess its expected due to its die size and 8 cores.

OK, now looking forward to Broadwell. Hopefully the shrink in die size will allow us to finally hit that magical 5GHz mark.
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
I prefer 6c/12t then 5ghz overclocks tho.

The reason why I prefer 5GHz is because I only play games, surf net and watch videos on my PC.

I don't run anything that benefit from 6-8 cores (other than benchmarks).

If games are written to benefit from 6-8 cores, I will definitely get it. But then, I don't know when will companies start to make games that could utilise more cores.
 

SimonLam

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
11,800
Reaction score
0
Unlikely will game developer make special tweak to support games for multi-core - they need to make their games easily affordable by mass
 

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
29,769
Reaction score
91
AnandTech | Home

Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews

HARDOCP - HardOCP Computer Hardware Reviews and News

After reading the reviews... I am like ok.... Looks like HE does offer hardly any benefits to gamers (no different from IBE, SBE). DDR4 and extra cache do boost up frame rates a little. but I feel its way too small to justify the price tag.

Overclocking is not really good as well. I guess its expected due to its die size and 8 cores.

OK, now looking forward to Broadwell. Hopefully the shrink in die size will allow us to finally hit that magical 5GHz mark.

stock 5GHz or OCed 5GHz ?
 

Phelan

Master Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2001
Messages
4,706
Reaction score
1
It's not about pure clock speed. The CPU Wars at the turn of the millennium have taught us that it's not the clock speed, it's the performance that the CPU can churn out at an equivalent clock speed. I remember that the highest end P4 is 3.8GHz, about eight or ten years ago. Would the P4 3.8GHz perform the same as a current generation Intel chip at 3.8GHz?

Also, overclocking even a current gen CPU to 5GHz even on on liquid cooling would probably only give you validation, not a stable platform to run on.
 
Last edited:

CeleronD

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
1,145
Reaction score
1
OK, now looking forward to Broadwell. Hopefully the shrink in die size will allow us to finally hit that magical 5GHz mark.

i thought 5ghz was already frequently reached by SB users back in 2011?

shrinking die size also reduces the area available for heat transfer, and that seems to be the bottleneck for most end-users. of course liquid nitro users will see a jump.

that said, lower heat dissipation(better) vs smaller area for heat transfer(worse), dunno whether the final speed will be better or worse.
 

CeleronD

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
1,145
Reaction score
1
The reason why I prefer 5GHz is because I only play games, surf net and watch videos on my PC.

I don't run anything that benefit from 6-8 cores (other than benchmarks).

If games are written to benefit from 6-8 cores, I will definitely get it. But then, I don't know when will companies start to make games that could utilise more cores.

sometimes its not easily possible to divide the workload so that it can be processed in parallel.

some applications yes, like encoding where you split segments up for each core. or chess where you split different variation branches.

but for those where you can't, like a math question where you can only solve part c after getting the answer to part b, then multicores are largely useless.

the jump from 1 cores to 2 in 2006 was huge though. there was always 1 core to run background processes, freeing up 1 for the main application.

i remember running an athlon xp 2-cpu system 10 yrs back. though it was never tops in games, it always felt smoother on the desktop.
 

SimonLam

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
11,800
Reaction score
0
For ppl to drool... a US10k setup

Need a Beast of a PC ? GamingPC Releases 4.4 GHz Core i7-5960X Gaming System

Processor Intel Core I7-5960X Eight Core 20MB Hyperthreading 4.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme X99
Memory G.skill G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB)
Primary Hard Drive Crucial M550 SATA 1TB Solid State Drive SSD
Secondary Hard Drive 2x Western Digital Black 4TB Raid 0 (8TB Total)
Video Card 4x EVGA GeForce GTX Titan Black QUAD SLI
Audio Card Realtek ALC898 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio (On Board)
Drives LG WH16NS40 16X Blu Ray Writer - 16x DVD Writer
Secondary Drive I don't want one
Power Supply Silverstone Strider ST1500 1500W Power Supply
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Cooling Custom Professional grade system with videocards Water Cooling (QUAD-SLI )
Operating System Windows 8.1 64 Bit English
Overclock Overclocked Speed 4.4 GHz
Wireless Network Card Integrated Wireless Network Card
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top