[Help] Is my HD going to Fail soon?

zeozoe

Master Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
4,419
Reaction score
804
I have an Acer laptop with a Toshiba HD. Recently it has started freezing suddenly when I'm surfing the web, gaming etc and occasionally going into BSOD. Sometimes when I startup my laptop, Windows 7 is unable to boot and I'm sent over to the repair screen. However when I restart it again, the laptop seems to boot up fine.

I've checked SMART and there are no issues. I've also run the error check+repair on startup but found nothing major. What could be wrong with my laptop? How can I diagnose the issue?

I've also run HDtune several times and here are the reports.

mBzWsGJ.jpg

Jn8aZNn.jpg

9CmdH20.jpg


In comparison, here is my external HD

bLxy7pJ.jpg


Is my HD going to spoil soon and should I replace it?
 

zeozoe

Master Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
4,419
Reaction score
804
btw, when bsod, what is the message?

dang I can't really remember the specific message :(

I just know that sometimes my laptop will have trouble restarting from sleep mode too. When I try to wake it up, it will just freeze.
 

tuckloong

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
33,632
Reaction score
9,401
why dont u do a thorough scan with HD tune and look out for bad sectors?
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,695
Reaction score
525
Quick back up your data before it bid goodbye to you.
 

zeozoe

Master Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
4,419
Reaction score
804
hmm i finally managed to scan my HD today, HD tune detected 2 bad sectors (~0.2% of the HD). Is that considered bad? Is the HD the most likely problem or is there possibly another issue?
 

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2009
Messages
41,675
Reaction score
15
hmm i finally managed to scan my HD today, HD tune detected 2 bad sectors (~0.2% of the HD). Is that considered bad? Is the HD the most likely problem or is there possibly another issue?
There could be another issue, but like I mentioned earlier, really need see what's the bsod messgae to determine what's the cause.

However, in this instance, take our advice and backup ur data elsewhere. Change hdd too, where possible
 

zeozoe

Master Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
4,419
Reaction score
804
There could be another issue, but like I mentioned earlier, really need see what's the bsod messgae to determine what's the cause.

However, in this instance, take our advice and backup ur data elsewhere. Change hdd too, where possible

I've already migrated my data and software to a completely brand new system, and backed up the new system on an external HD just in case.

Is there any way I could determine for sure what is wrong with the laptop by myself besides waiting for bsod? One strange problem about my laptop is when I'm starting it up, it sometimes redirects me to "Windows Repair". But if I either restart immediately or let the repair run, it will then start up normally.
 

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2009
Messages
41,675
Reaction score
15
The best way is to stop using the hdd. How to w/o replacing hdd?

Download and run a LIVE CD/drive.

If your computer supports CD (built in best), then burn a live cd.
If not, then you can make a live OS drive using a standard thumbdrive.

I recommend using Hierens live CD/OS and run the various diagnostic tools to see if can pinpoint any other h/w faults that might be on the system.

But again, yes, possible it might be hdd only also. But if got the time... Better be safe than sorry :D
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top