Korosera
Junior Member
- Joined
- Apr 21, 2014
- Messages
- 7
- Reaction score
- 0
**** Dear MOD, please delete this thread! I posted this on another section instead!~
Hi all,
After much research on the internet, I've decided to make a thread to ask for advice from you all. Well, I think this decision that I'm about to make will be one of the great milestones in my life & I'm uncertain if what I am currently thinking now is suitable. Okay, now to the main point - my situation.
I'm an 'A' level graduate that did average but not outstanding. I managed to receive offers from both NUS and NTU but they are both not what I want to pursue. What I have in mind is probably something Business/Accountancy related & I have applied for the SIM-UOL Accounting & Finance course. BUT, there is this OTHER huge problem which is the course fees. It is about 30k for the tuition fees, and my family is unable to afford the fees. What's worst is that my parents are not eligible for the tuition loan and hence, it is unlikely that I am able to cough up the 10k for the first semester. So, the other option I thought of was to go for Unisim (part-time) which have government subsidies and I am able to take the course I want. Yet, there is an age restriction that says I have to be at least 21 years old with 2 years of working experience... Regarding the full time course for UniSim, I was rejected due to late application and not so outstanding results so it's not viable either. Hence, with all that said, my plan now is to join the workforce for 2 years and take a part time degree in UniSim.
(P.S. I'm a female so no NS)
Also, just a little information about my family. My mom passed away when I was young so my only direct kin is my dad and he's at an old age of 66 this year. He spent all his savings and have only a little left for his retirement. I don't wish to put too much burden on him and I really hope he can enjoy his twilight years. However, if I were to go to university, it will be another 4 years & it's full time studies too. My dad will have to slog for another 4 years earning only 1.4k per month...
Dear seniors that are more experienced in life, is my plan the best for my the current situation?
- Is my plan even viable?
- Is the degree really necessary at my current stage in life?
- Should I just go for the degree in local universities although it's not what I want & am almost 90% sure that I won't go far with the degree?
- Will I be able to secure a full-time job with just an 'A' level certificate & short-term experiences during school holidays?
- It is okay for me to forgo the campus experience, but will I have a future with the unisim degree?
- As far as I have researched, part-time courses are not available for our local universities?
- Is there even a future for me to survive in Singapore?
- Are that any other solutions that I have overlooked? If so, please advise!
I really appreciate all who read this long thread & give quality feedbacks to my situation. Thank you very much. This is really important to me as I have no one to turn to for directions in life. Cheers to a better life!
With lots of thanks,
Korosera
Hi all,
After much research on the internet, I've decided to make a thread to ask for advice from you all. Well, I think this decision that I'm about to make will be one of the great milestones in my life & I'm uncertain if what I am currently thinking now is suitable. Okay, now to the main point - my situation.
I'm an 'A' level graduate that did average but not outstanding. I managed to receive offers from both NUS and NTU but they are both not what I want to pursue. What I have in mind is probably something Business/Accountancy related & I have applied for the SIM-UOL Accounting & Finance course. BUT, there is this OTHER huge problem which is the course fees. It is about 30k for the tuition fees, and my family is unable to afford the fees. What's worst is that my parents are not eligible for the tuition loan and hence, it is unlikely that I am able to cough up the 10k for the first semester. So, the other option I thought of was to go for Unisim (part-time) which have government subsidies and I am able to take the course I want. Yet, there is an age restriction that says I have to be at least 21 years old with 2 years of working experience... Regarding the full time course for UniSim, I was rejected due to late application and not so outstanding results so it's not viable either. Hence, with all that said, my plan now is to join the workforce for 2 years and take a part time degree in UniSim.
(P.S. I'm a female so no NS)
Also, just a little information about my family. My mom passed away when I was young so my only direct kin is my dad and he's at an old age of 66 this year. He spent all his savings and have only a little left for his retirement. I don't wish to put too much burden on him and I really hope he can enjoy his twilight years. However, if I were to go to university, it will be another 4 years & it's full time studies too. My dad will have to slog for another 4 years earning only 1.4k per month...
Dear seniors that are more experienced in life, is my plan the best for my the current situation?
- Is my plan even viable?
- Is the degree really necessary at my current stage in life?
- Should I just go for the degree in local universities although it's not what I want & am almost 90% sure that I won't go far with the degree?
- Will I be able to secure a full-time job with just an 'A' level certificate & short-term experiences during school holidays?
- It is okay for me to forgo the campus experience, but will I have a future with the unisim degree?
- As far as I have researched, part-time courses are not available for our local universities?
- Is there even a future for me to survive in Singapore?
- Are that any other solutions that I have overlooked? If so, please advise!
I really appreciate all who read this long thread & give quality feedbacks to my situation. Thank you very much. This is really important to me as I have no one to turn to for directions in life. Cheers to a better life!
With lots of thanks,
Korosera

Last edited:
