Help needed - Time in Windows 10 slowing down consistently!!

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
22,366
Reaction score
117
Dear all,

I have realised that the time on my Windows 10 slows down after powering up.

Motherboard : MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
OS : Windows 10 Pro

All operation and usage of the PC seems ok.

1eSnSEt.png


6qfGKt1.png


I have already set the clock to sync already.

I have also tried all the method at :

https://www.techbout.com/fix-slow-incorrect-windows-computer-clock-14287/

https://www.tenforums.com/general-s...ws-down-yet-able-manually-sync-correctly.html

I have tested the CMOS battery and it is 3.28V.
 
Last edited:

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
22,366
Reaction score
117
Dear all,

I have realised that the time on my Windows 10 slows down after powering up.

Motherboard : MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
OS : Windows 10 Pro

All operation and usage of the PC seems ok.

1eSnSEt.png


6qfGKt1.png


I have already set the clock to sync already.

I have also tried all the method at :

https://www.techbout.com/fix-slow-incorrect-windows-computer-clock-14287/

https://www.tenforums.com/general-s...ws-down-yet-able-manually-sync-correctly.html

I have tested the CMOS battery and it is 3.28V.


Then sync again.


7mFfxQp.png
 

shawntyq

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
49,756
Reaction score
1,978
why dont u try changing a new cmos battery. even tho u have tested it.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I recall experiencing this once, and instead of letting Windows sync by setting the timezone, I set to manual and set my own date and time. Then the issue went away.

I don't think it is a CMOS battery problem here. If the battery is flat, you just get a time and date that resets to some default value.
 

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
22,366
Reaction score
117
why dont u try changing a new cmos battery. even tho u have tested it.


Many sources I read did mentioned that unlikely is CMOS battery problem. The current CMOS battery is 3.28V, which is pretty healthy.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,079
Reaction score
1,770
Scan with Windows Virus scan and got 5 came up. But all are those crack files for different programs.

those crack files usually embed adware or malware .....

you can test by backing up the OS SSD and then do a factory reset without any of the applications. If the time syncs correctly, then you have your culprit. If problem persist, then it is hardware.
 

flame2000

Banned
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
19,713
Reaction score
1,552
Check the "windows time" service under:
Control panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Windows Time). If it's disabled, enable it.
 

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
22,366
Reaction score
117
I did further test.


1. I "disable" sync for time.


2. Then I Googled "show clock" and it shows the correct time.


3. Then I open clock via https://www.clocktab.com/ it shows the same time as the clock on my PC, which is slower.


From this test, if my PC clock is NOT sync, it could means that the clock frequency is faulty.


Kx7YDgM.png



What do you guys think?
 

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
72,512
Reaction score
2,489
The RTC on your mobo is probably bad. Time shouldn't drift this fast, and I doubt Microsoft's NTP server is giving you bad time. I've had the RTC battery removed from my mobo for months because it was flat, and my time never drifted this much, this fast.

I think we can rule out the RTC battery being a possible source since the computer only ever uses the RTC battery to maintain the time if your PSU no longer supplies any power to the mobo.

Also, odds of you consistently receiving bad time sync from different NTP servers are slim to none, so I think we can safely rule that out too.

Which finally leaves us with hardware failure.

Anyway, during the time I had the RTC battery removed from my mobo, I don't think I've ever witness the time on my computer drifting at all.
 
Last edited:

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
22,366
Reaction score
117
The RTC on your mobo is probably bad. Time shouldn't drift this fast, and I doubt Microsoft's NTP server is giving you bad time. I've had the RTC battery removed from my mobo for months because it was flat, and my time never drifted this much, this fast.

I think we can rule out the RTC battery being a possible source since the computer only ever uses the RTC battery to maintain the time if your PSU no longer supplies any power to the mobo.

Also, odds of you consistently receiving bad time sync from different NTP servers are slim to none, so I think we can safely rule that out too.

Which finally leaves us with hardware failure.

Anyway, during the time I had the RTC battery removed from my mobo, I don't think I've ever witness the time on my computer drifting at all.


Yes. I agree with what you said.


Just that changing motherboard is really PITA .... I really only will go that way only if really bo bian. Plus that is provided Corbell side will agree to replace me a motherboard 1 to 1. If they tell me need to send back to Taiwan to repair, I cannot afford the downtime.


Plus if the board comes back and the problem still persist, then really jialat liao.
 

hg2

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,974
Reaction score
810
U are experiencing time drifts, very common in every modern devices.
That's why u need to sync with a ntp server which will correct the the time once a while... if your system still deviates significantly which suggests the quartz inside which provides the heart beats is dying..... can consider change mobo or shorten the polling interval of ntp from 7days to daily/hourly....
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top