Help on finding a new monitor

  • Have you been Scammed?
    Follow this advisory from National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) or call ScamShield Helpline 1799. More info

FreSch

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2020
Messages
268
Reaction score
25
Hi guys,

I bought myself a prism+ monitor a while back and after-the-fact I was told that most monitor "sales" etc are a scam. That's why I'm gonna ask here for tips and recommendations before I commit to anything.

I'm looking for a cheap, but long-lasting productivity monitor, around the 23"-27" size. Resolution doesn't matter, as long as it's 1080p can already. I don't care about refresh, default 60 should be fine. Anyone have any recommendations?
Also, anyone have any tips on where is a good place to buy without being ripped off? I'm not too confident about going to the big name retail shops like harvey norman etc. and online buying feels like one giant scam with their 24/7 "Discount" prices.
 

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 17, 2012
Messages
12,905
Reaction score
3,390
Nope, I legit clueless when it comes to this stuff.
Just compare the price of different reputable retailer or e-retailer and get the cheapest among them.

Any Dell U series should cover your needs very well, monitor lasting or not is heng suay, so imo get one with better post sales/ long warranty, is a better bet than praying the product won't spoilt.
 

FreSch

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2020
Messages
268
Reaction score
25
Just compare the price of different reputable retailer or e-retailer and get the cheapest among them.

Any Dell U series should cover your needs very well, monitor lasting or not is heng suay, so imo get one with better post sales/ long warranty, is a better bet than praying the product won't spoilt.
Alright, thanks for the tip. Any other brand besides dell I should consider?
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,087
Reaction score
1,772
Didn't know prism exist so long already haha. Tot they exist like in 2018

Prism+ was formed in 2017 when it was spun off from Aftershock so OP bought the monitor when it was still under Aftershock.
 

FreSch

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2020
Messages
268
Reaction score
25
Prism+ was formed in 2017 when it was spun off from Aftershock so OP bought the monitor when it was still under Aftershock.
ah. I get it now. There's a misunderstanding.
I have a dual monitor setup, the prism is fine. Got it last year.
My main monitor is an older monitor, and it's that one that's broken, not the prism.
 

DaNuker

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
937
Reaction score
123
Since you already settle on non gaming refresh rate, need to decide how much you care about color accuracy. Do you need a reasonably color accurate one or any will do?

Do you want high contrast but with a potential of smearing in action movie scenes or low contrast but a bit greyish in dark scenes or when the room is dark? This will help you determine whether you want a VA (Vertical Alignment) panel, mostly from Samsung, or an IPS (In Plane Switching) panel which is what most other makers are using these days.

At below 27" 1080p is fine but you really should consider at least 1440p at 27" otherwise I think pixel sizes are too big. Also this will affect how much GPU you need if you intend to do any 3D work or gaming on it. Normally for this kind of monitor I just grab any mid to high range Dell since mine always lasted > 5 years with heavy use.
 

FreSch

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2020
Messages
268
Reaction score
25
Do you need a reasonably color accurate one or any will do?
Nope, the monitor is used for very basic things like sending emails, watching youtube, and working on powerpoint/excel documents. Nothing colour sensitive.

Do you want high contrast but with a potential of smearing in action movie scenes or low contrast but a bit greyish in dark scenes or when the room is dark? This will help you determine whether you want a VA (Vertical Alignment) panel, mostly from Samsung, or an IPS (In Plane Switching) panel which is what most other makers are using these days.
I use the monitor in a lit room, never in the dark. I think IPS would be good because it's cheaper and "standard" for most, right?

At below 27" 1080p is fine but you really should consider at least 1440p at 27" otherwise I think pixel sizes are too big. Also this will affect how much GPU you need if you intend to do any 3D work or gaming on it. Normally for this kind of monitor I just grab any mid to high range Dell since mine always lasted > 5 years with heavy use.
Ngl I've been using 1080p the whole time and doubt I need 1440p for productivity things.
So Dell is the best pick after all? I'll take a second look through their store. Already eyeballing the SE2422H.
 

transparos

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2012
Messages
1,414
Reaction score
226
ah. I get it now. There's a misunderstanding.
I have a dual monitor setup, the prism is fine. Got it last year.
My main monitor is an older monitor, and it's that one that's broken, not the prism.
ahh i see, tot u feel the prism not good and also spoiled thus the change.
 

FreSch

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2020
Messages
268
Reaction score
25
ahh i see, tot u feel the prism not good and also spoiled thus the change.
nah nah. Only gripe I have with it is that you can't turn off the screen without my PC saying the display was disconnected.
I tend to leave my PC do stuff and turn off the monitor, so it was quite annoying to deal with.
 

DaNuker

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
937
Reaction score
123
Yah, that Dell S2422H for S$149 is VA panel but so much cheaper and is a great deal price right now for a basic single input HDMI monitor (VGA is rarely used now). Do note that it isn't height adjustable so might need to stack it on some things (like books) to adjust height.

Buy and use for 3 years with warranty and most likely can last 5-10 years before the LCD backlight starts to fade.
 

kappak

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
446
lenovo l27e-30

ips panel

fhd 75hz

189

promo time can get 150-170 at qoo10/lazada/shopee
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top