Help on Laptop Selection (SGD 800 -1200 Range)

oXoLaNcEoXo

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
191
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Looking to get a new laptop.
Budget: 800 - 1200
Requirements: i5, must have ethernet port, preferably 14" or lesser, preferably as light as possible. 2kg must be fully justified for example.

Uses: Output 1080p video to monitor, run torrents, internet, games like Football Manager, non-graphics intensive, but must be able to run slightly complex excel with medium to large data sets.

Narrowed down to a few:
1. Dell Vostro 5470 - $1,199
i5, 500GB HDD, GT 740M2G, 4G Ram, 14", 1.53kg

2. HP Pavilion 14-v045TX - $1,099
i7, 1TB HDD, 840M2G, 8G Ram, 1.98kg, 14", Optical Drive (But I don't need), 1yr accidental coverage

3. HP Pavilion 14-v046TX - $999
i5, 500GB 8GB SSHD, 830M2G, 4G Ram, 1.98kg, 14", Optical Drive (But I don't need), 1yr accidental coverage

4. HP Pavilion 13-b115TU - $999
i5, 500GB 8GB SSHD, HD4400, 8G Ram, 1.55kg, 13.3"

5. HP Pavilion 11-n024tu x360 PC - $799
N3530, 500GB HDD, HD4000, 8G Ram, 1.4kg, 11.6", 2nd yr warranty free, 1yr accidental coverage

Heavily leaning toward option 4. Seems to be a new offering on the HP site.
HD4400 meets my 1080p output requirements? How does the SSHD work?
The discrete graphics big difference? HD4400 v.s. GT740M v.s 840/830M?
So confusing these manufacturers make only tiny changes that noobs like me won't understand.. Hai..
Plus, I wasn't able to find info on how many cell batteries HP uses..

Any thing that I am missing out for consideration?
Or other options available? Note that I get equivalent of 5% discount for online retailers. So there's that cost advantage for those with online stores..

Thanks for any pro advice / comments..
 
Last edited:

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
Just to help you summarize your requirements:

Requirements: i5, must have ethernet port, preferably 14" or lesser, preferably as light as possible. 2kg must be fully justified for example.

1) Output 1080p video to monitor - Any shared graphics will do it comfortably.
2) run torrents - If you are running torrents overnight or prolong periods, light weight laptops are not suitable as the heat dissipation is not as good. You also need to consider harddisk size if you are constantly saving large media files
3) Internet - Any machines should do prepare well, but if you want better performance specifically, look for dual band cards such as Wireless AC and gigabit ethernet 10/100/1000.
3) games like Football Manager - The shared Intel graphics could do just fine, though dedicated graphics will help slightly as the matches can be display in 3D.
4) complex excel with medium to large data sets- This concerns your processor, i5 is good enough and RAM: 8GB or higher recommended and finally a faster harddisk. You might want to consider swapping the original harddisk to a full SSD for speed, but then again, you miss out on the space.

For SSHD, this is a hybrid SSD + HDD system where a small SSD such as 8 or 16GB is included for caching purposes to improve the speed.

To put simply:
- SSHD improves loading/reading/boot up speed around 40-60% by using the SSD as a cache. OS is still installed and run from the HDD.
- Full SSD (means OS is install on the SSD itself) improves speed from 300-500%.

For no of battery cells, it does not matter that much nowadays. Check for the battery life directly. Battery life now depends on a number of factors such as the processor type, the screen type, the graphics type and how well the PCB circuitry is optimized.
:)
 

oXoLaNcEoXo

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
191
Reaction score
0
oh wow thanks for the detailed advice. very helpful..

after taking that into consideration, most concerned about the heat dissipation for prolonged torrenting.. so.. does that mean that the 5 options above are no good?

any other options then, considering the budget?

thanks in advance! :)
 

whoeva

Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
after taking that into consideration, most concerned about the heat dissipation for prolonged torrenting.. so.. does that mean that the 5 options above are no good?

I think you should not be too concerned on the heat dissipation issue. Most laptops nowadays do pretty well in heat dissipation.

If you are really running it for prolonged period of time, consider doing the following:

1. Used in air-con room
2. Put a fan beside it
3. Use laptop cooler

It is also important that you place your laptop on a flat hard surface, so that the vents below will not be blocked. And also put the laptop in a place with good ventilation, with no object blocking any of the vents.
 

oXoLaNcEoXo

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
191
Reaction score
0
I think you should not be too concerned on the heat dissipation issue. Most laptops nowadays do pretty well in heat dissipation.

If you are really running it for prolonged period of time, consider doing the following:

1. Used in air-con room
2. Put a fan beside it
3. Use laptop cooler

It is also important that you place your laptop on a flat hard surface, so that the vents below will not be blocked. And also put the laptop in a place with good ventilation, with no object blocking any of the vents.

mm.. i see. thanks for the reassurance, i guess i'll get a cooler for this exact purpose then.

seems like there's no feedback on my choices.. dunno happy or sad haha..
guess it means I have narrowed it down quite well in my research..

thanks guys, do post laptop model recommendation / alternatives if any still.

:) :) :)
 

whoeva

Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
seems like there's no feedback on my choices.. dunno happy or sad haha..
guess it means I have narrowed it down quite well in my research..

thanks guys, do post laptop model recommendation / alternatives if any still.

:) :) :)

The specs for option 4 looks good for your use. However, this kind of specs are available from quite a few brands also. In the end it goes down to the design itself. You are advised to go to shop to feel it yourself.

Personally will recommend ASUS ZenBook though :) (partially due to their default 2 year warranty, they seem to be more confident of their products)
 

oXoLaNcEoXo

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
191
Reaction score
0
The specs for option 4 looks good for your use. However, this kind of specs are available from quite a few brands also. In the end it goes down to the design itself. You are advised to go to shop to feel it yourself.

Personally will recommend ASUS ZenBook though :) (partially due to their default 2 year warranty, they seem to be more confident of their products)

Ah yes, I did consider them. They look really nice with the metallic body finish..
Few reasons why they did not make the shortlist though.

1. Not many of them have ethernet ports.. They do give superior WIFI though. Many models have ac.. But I really want the ethernet due to torrenting. If I am using WIFI, I don't mind the slightly older n..

2. Price. Did not see 1 that fit into the price range with the above requirements in mind.. Perhaps I did not look closely enough.
Their SG website does not list prices. So that made it difficult..
Do you know which model falls into the requirements though? And it's price?
Also, don't think can order online right? So it made the cost advantage of 5% due to credit card swing in favor of the online retailers..

3. I called HP Customer Service.. They were able to offer extended warranty to 2yrs plus accidental coverage 1 year due to Sep Promos. So in terms of warranty, no advantage also..

Haha. I think I do quite a alot of research into something not particularly dear.. Haha oh well, hope this helps someone else too.
 

whoeva

Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
1. Not many of them have ethernet ports.. They do give superior WIFI though. Many models have ac.. But I really want the ethernet due to torrenting. If I am using WIFI, I don't mind the slightly older n..

I noted that the ethernet port for the Dell and HP Pavilion 13 in your list are only 10/100 speed. (Not sure about the rest, couldn't find proper specs on the internet) So if you primarily using the ethernet port (LAN), this might be a bottleneck for your internet connection.

100mbps might sound a lot, but it will really put a limit on your connection speed... (doesn't mean that if your broadband speed is less than 100mbps it will not be affected)

My recommendation is look for those with gigabit port if you primarily use it for the internet connection.

This spec is often overlooked because most people use WIFI on their laptop. I think that is why manufacturers tried to cut corners here.
 

oXoLaNcEoXo

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
191
Reaction score
0
I noted that the ethernet port for the Dell and HP Pavilion 13 in your list are only 10/100 speed. (Not sure about the rest, couldn't find proper specs on the internet) So if you primarily using the ethernet port (LAN), this might be a bottleneck for your internet connection.

100mbps might sound a lot, but it will really put a limit on your connection speed... (doesn't mean that if your broadband speed is less than 100mbps it will not be affected)

My recommendation is look for those with gigabit port if you primarily use it for the internet connection.

This spec is often overlooked because most people use WIFI on their laptop. I think that is why manufacturers tried to cut corners here.

thanks whoeva.. you are very detailed in your help :)

yes, i am a little worried about this. but when i look around, those that offered gigabit controllers tended to be either larger sized, higher spec'ed i.e. more ex or business models i.e. more ex..

current home network is 100mbps.. running cat6e ethernet from the singnet router. considering not getting ssd due to price, a 5400rpm hdd with only a 100mbps ethernet controller should not see much bottleneck right?

getting too technical for me here, really dunno the calculation above how to do..

but it's mainly a cost / availability thing here.. sooo yea, i can't find smth that fits swee swee everything.. i guess have to sacrifice a little of the future proofing..
 

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
oh wow thanks for the detailed advice. very helpful..

after taking that into consideration, most concerned about the heat dissipation for prolonged torrenting.. so.. does that mean that the 5 options above are no good?

any other options then, considering the budget?

thanks in advance! :)

You are welcomed! :)

To summarize all your requirements, including points taken from others in the thread:

Essential Requirements:
1) Gigabit ethernet
2a) Use with a fan if you are running torrents for prolong periods (but do be aware of the noise generated)
2b) Reliable hardware model as you intend to switch on for prolong periods
3) Budget $800-$1200
4) RAM at 8GB
5) Min i5
6) Output Video (A HDMI port or Display port will serve the purpose)

The above are the essential requirements.
Below are the "good to have" requirements:
7) graphics card
8) light weight
9) Longer warranty
10) Option for SSD upgrade

Judging from all these criterias, you might like to consider HP business laptops. Elitebook 840G1.

i5/8GB/500GB/Intel 4400/14.0"/1.58kg

These are highend business models, built to last.

See:

HP's Small & Medium Business Online Store

Note that the prices for this model is way above your budget. (above link is in USD).

However, if you do not mind demo units, we do have some HP elitebooks 840G1 demo units from $1350 onwards. (around 40-50% off). These are around 6 months old machines with 2.5 years warranty. The units are used by HP for demo for 2-4 weeks before they are taken back to be sold off at much lower value. All units comes with original box and accessories, and look like new.

These model fulfill points 1,2a,2b,4,5,6,8,9,10 and is a business class model. Dedicated graphics model also available at a higher price. We also have a similar 12.5" version, HP elitebook 820G1 as well if you prefer a smaller screen.

With regards to why are we not recommending the models you have picked, one important reason is that those are consumer models which are not meant to be "tortured" and switch on for long periods. :)

Cheers!
 

oXoLaNcEoXo

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
191
Reaction score
0
thanks pc_dreams for another detailed recommendation.

will not be going for a business model that will burst the budget.. since only for personal use. do have a work issued dell business model for the important stuff, so not overly concerned about system failure, so long as of reasonable quality and durability.

besides, as mentioned managed to get 2 yr warranty as there is promo now for the hp model.

the only gripe for me now is that the model I selected is short of gigabit ethernet.
so annoying. ugh. :(
 

whoeva

Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
the only gripe for me now is that the model I selected is short of gigabit ethernet.
so annoying. ugh. :(

You might want to take a look at the ASUS X451 and K452 before you make decision, as these 2 models seems to come with gigabit ethernet port (and pretty cheap too)... But again maybe these are lower end models, I can't find them on the official ASUS website. So maybe PCDreams will have the specs.
 

oXoLaNcEoXo

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
191
Reaction score
0
Dear Pals,

Thanks for all your advice! It has been super helpful.

I have finally decided and placed an order for:

HP ProBook 430 G2 - SGD1,199

It's got good connectivity options. AC Wifi and Gigabit Ethernet :) (Thanks to whoeva for bringing up this point.)
Faster HDD, 7200rpm though no SSHD.
Less Ram, 4G only but I think I can live with it. Has 2 SODIMM slots, so I can still upgrade if I need to.
WARRANTY 3 YEARS! Most happy about this. It gives me peace of mind to run torrents over night. (Thanks to PCDREAMs for this advice.)

Also happy that though 200SGD more than option 4, still within budget @ SGD1,199 :)

TYTYTY!!!
 

whoeva

Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
Dear Pals,

Thanks for all your advice! It has been super helpful.

I have finally decided and placed an order for:

HP ProBook 430 G2 - SGD1,199

It's got good connectivity options. AC Wifi and Gigabit Ethernet :) (Thanks to whoeva for bringing up this point.)
Faster HDD, 7200rpm though no SSHD.
Less Ram, 4G only but I think I can live with it. Has 2 SODIMM slots, so I can still upgrade if I need to.
WARRANTY 3 YEARS! Most happy about this. It gives me peace of mind to run torrents over night. (Thanks to PCDREAMs for this advice.)

Also happy that though 200SGD more than option 4, still within budget @ SGD1,199 :)

TYTYTY!!!

Looks like a really good machine for your needs. Congrats bro!:)
 

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
Dear Pals,

Thanks for all your advice! It has been super helpful.

I have finally decided and placed an order for:

HP ProBook 430 G2 - SGD1,199

It's got good connectivity options. AC Wifi and Gigabit Ethernet :) (Thanks to whoeva for bringing up this point.)
Faster HDD, 7200rpm though no SSHD.
Less Ram, 4G only but I think I can live with it. Has 2 SODIMM slots, so I can still upgrade if I need to.
WARRANTY 3 YEARS! Most happy about this. It gives me peace of mind to run torrents over night. (Thanks to PCDREAMs for this advice.)

Also happy that though 200SGD more than option 4, still within budget @ SGD1,199 :)

TYTYTY!!!

Good to hear that! :)
 

nomoney25

Master Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2002
Messages
4,547
Reaction score
0
May I know where can get a brand new windows 7 pre installed laptop selling within $700 to $900. So far I have only seen acer p245-m selling $999 as brand new
 

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
7,996
Reaction score
0
May I know where can get a brand new windows 7 pre installed laptop selling within $700 to $900. So far I have only seen acer p245-m selling $999 as brand new

We have some demo HP 640 at around $950 with 1 year Hp warranty, win 7 Pro. :)
 

lawybylaw

Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2014
Messages
136
Reaction score
54
Hi!

What it takes, NEVER buy the ASUS K551LN

I bought this notebook in late May, and it broke down THREE times already!!

I have went to the service centre FOUR times for the same problem, and each time the technician claim to solve a different issue.

IMO, the technician don't even know what is wrong with the notebook to begin solving the problem.

PLEASE THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE BUYING THIS NOTEBOOK, or you will have to visit 8, burn Road very often like me!!

At this moment the notebook is still unrepairable, and the service centre offered to replace it with another one on TUE, but called me on FRI to offer a REFUND!!! But till now, no update or information on the replacement or the refund.

THE asus people cannot even get their act together.

Just a shame that ASUS creates wonderful products but their service cannot deliver on they part.

It's a "TAKE THE RISK" to BUY an ASUS for what they promise when the product is working. But when the new product keeps breaking down within a month, you will start to cry and curse!!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top