[Help] PC Issue - Power on and off immediately

sim3

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2002
Messages
2,250
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Recently I got a funny issue on my PC.

Problem: Upon power on for one second, it will automatically power off.

Symptom:
1) Before this issue sometime it can boot into windows and use for few hours before the whole windows freezes and I will need press reboot button.
2) checked on the event log and it shows Windows Kernel event ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first". Reading Microsoft article suspect is power issue
3) Yesterday night I used halfway and the windows freezes again. When I reboot, it just power on and off again. Unable to startup anymore.
4) changed power cord and power point also same issue

Suspect:
1) PSU
2) motherboard

However during first few occurrence, the windows freezes and the PC is still running with power. Could it due to the motherboard issue? Any expert can advise from here?

Below is my PC spec.
1) Gigabyte H67N-USB-B3 SCKT1155 ITX Mainboard
2) Intel Core I5-2400
3) Cooler Master 460W Extreme PSU
4) Kingston 4GB DDR2-1333 RAM x 2
5) WD 3.5" 1tb Green SATA

Thanks in advance
 

Blehana

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
272
Reaction score
0
Hi, if you suspect it's PSU, just swap around another one and see if it's the issue. If it's not, could well be the mobo as you suggested. If you don't have spare parts to troubleshoot, i suppose you have to bring it to somewhere.
 

luei74

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2001
Messages
28,963
Reaction score
6,970
What's the age of ur pc? Just a thought, not sure if Gigabyte mobo got a utility to check for CPU temperature. If power still exist and the cpu temps within the nominal range. Likely to be the mobo causing the issue.
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,695
Reaction score
525
Very likely Cooler Master 460W Extreme PSU is the culprit.
Buyers should avoid Cooler master extreme series.
 

sim3

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2002
Messages
2,250
Reaction score
0
I purchased the system back in 1st July 2011. The system is about 3 years ago in 2 weeks time. Now I cant even boot into BIOS so unsure if it is due to motherboard or PSU.

Is there alot of issue on the Cooler Master Extreme PSU?
 

twasken

Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
I purchased the system back in 1st July 2011. The system is about 3 years ago in 2 weeks time. Now I cant even boot into BIOS so unsure if it is due to motherboard or PSU.

Is there alot of issue on the Cooler Master Extreme PSU?

CM PSU not too popular with HWC because it seems to uplorry more readily in Singapore humidity or something.

Seasonic/SF/FSP appear to be most lasting.

If no spare PSU around maybe can bring down to gs/nigel to test.
 

sim3

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2002
Messages
2,250
Reaction score
0
can check what is gs/nigel?

CM PSU not too popular with HWC because it seems to uplorry more readily in Singapore humidity or something.

Seasonic/SF/FSP appear to be most lasting.

If no spare PSU around maybe can bring down to gs/nigel to test.
 

sim3

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2002
Messages
2,250
Reaction score
0
wow didnt such places exist. this is very gd!! twasken thanks for the recommendation and thanks jtjt00 for the URL

funny tonight when I power up, it seem to be able to run for hours.. headache.. it is like intermittent issue :(

2 more weeks before warranty is up..
 

sim3

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2002
Messages
2,250
Reaction score
0
I changed my PSU and the issue still persist. Can I confirm that it is motherboard issue? It's getting more n more frequent :(
 

gs

Master Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2003
Messages
3,541
Reaction score
0
I changed my PSU and the issue still persist. Can I confirm that it is motherboard issue? It's getting more n more frequent :(

the past 4 days...got three customer with about the same problem with u..and the item that required to change is all mainboard..:o
 

sim3

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2002
Messages
2,250
Reaction score
0
Hi gs, thanks u from gigabyte? I just need to bring down my mainboard? Do I need to bring down any other thing? Btw where is the service centre?

Thanks in advance
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,695
Reaction score
525
CDL trading
115a Commonwealth Drive #03-10/12, Tanglin Halt Industrial Estate, 149596
TEL : +65-6473-4733

Hi gs, thanks u from gigabyte? I just need to bring down my mainboard? Do I need to bring down any other thing? Btw where is the service centre?

Thanks in advance
 

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2001
Messages
53,997
Reaction score
18
I changed my PSU and the issue still persist. Can I confirm that it is motherboard issue? It's getting more n more frequent :(

Clean up all the dusts accumulated at the processor heatsink&fan assembly. Sound like overheating which lead to system hang.

When the system overheated, you can't restart it immediately unless you wait for at least 5-10 minute for the temperature to go down to a operational friendly temperature.
 

sim3

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2002
Messages
2,250
Reaction score
0
Clean up all the dusts accumulated at the processor heatsink&fan assembly. Sound like overheating which lead to system hang.

When the system overheated, you can't restart it immediately unless you wait for at least 5-10 minute for the temperature to go down to a operational friendly temperature.

Today boot up shows bios CMOS issue.. Think the mainboard up lorry... :(
Recover from 2nd bios also can't work.. Need to head down to service centre le
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,695
Reaction score
525
May we know the brand of motherboard involved?

the past 4 days...got three customer with about the same problem with u..and the item that required to change is all mainboard..:o
 

sim3

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2002
Messages
2,250
Reaction score
0
finally i got my issue resolved after running to different service center

At first suspect is PSU issue and went down to Ban Leong and get the PSU changed. I let it run for a day and problem resurface again. Then I went down to CDL trading to service the motherboard. Found out that the DIMM slot contact got some problem. The engineer help me clean the DIMM slot and it works with his own ram but not mine. Tested my 2 piece of ram on another MB and it has peeping found. Suspect RAM faulty!!! Then I went down to Convergent and changed my 2 piece of RAM and back home fix back my motherboard and ram. So far so good *touch wood*

That what happen when DIY your own PC but it is a gd experience after all...
 

luei74

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2001
Messages
28,963
Reaction score
6,970
Great that u r finally get to the root of the problem. Look like our first suspicious on the PSU and MOBO some how doesn't to be the real culprit....that is the funs of the DIY..:)

finally i got my issue resolved after running to different service center

At first suspect is PSU issue and went down to Ban Leong and get the PSU changed. I let it run for a day and problem resurface again. Then I went down to CDL trading to service the motherboard. Found out that the DIMM slot contact got some problem. The engineer help me clean the DIMM slot and it works with his own ram but not mine. Tested my 2 piece of ram on another MB and it has peeping found. Suspect RAM faulty!!! Then I went down to Convergent and changed my 2 piece of RAM and back home fix back my motherboard and ram. So far so good *touch wood*

That what happen when DIY your own PC but it is a gd experience after all...
 

sim3

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2002
Messages
2,250
Reaction score
0
This motherboard very different from others. it doesnt peep on the faulty RAM :s22:

Great that u r finally get to the root of the problem. Look like our first suspicious on the PSU and MOBO some how doesn't to be the real culprit....that is the funs of the DIY..:)
 

Blehana

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
272
Reaction score
0
finally i got my issue resolved after running to different service center

At first suspect is PSU issue and went down to Ban Leong and get the PSU changed. I let it run for a day and problem resurface again. Then I went down to CDL trading to service the motherboard. Found out that the DIMM slot contact got some problem. The engineer help me clean the DIMM slot and it works with his own ram but not mine. Tested my 2 piece of ram on another MB and it has peeping found. Suspect RAM faulty!!! Then I went down to Convergent and changed my 2 piece of RAM and back home fix back my motherboard and ram. So far so good *touch wood*

That what happen when DIY your own PC but it is a gd experience after all...

Wow you went to CDL, Ban Leong and then Convergent :s22:

Hope it was worth the effort and that you get no more issues!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top