Help with choosing Acer Swift 5 for general work

bluemondays

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2015
Messages
31
Reaction score
2
After some research, I am leaning towards buying an Acer Swift 5 for general work purposes. My work just involve microsoft word processing, check email, no heavy stats, etc. And also for watching movies etc.

Budget - about $1,500
Should be fairly portable so weight is a factor - no more than 1.2 kg

I notice there are many versions of Swift 5 like

1)SF514-54T-599T

2)SF514-54GT53CX (BLU)

3)SF514-54GT-78Y7 (seems this is about 2k so maybe out of budget)

Can someone clarify what are the major differences between the few models above and which is better ?

Also I notice some Swift 3 versions like
SF314-57G-5526 is much cheaper at about $1.3k
Are these quite older models eg, not as lasting or poorer in resoution etc?

Thank you!
 
Last edited:

ckctam

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2011
Messages
344
Reaction score
3
Can you include links as to the types of swift 5? I can't find them online. That will help me and others to help you.
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Difference in CPU and GPU models. CPU wise, it's between i5 and i7. GPU wise, integrated graphics, Nvidia MX250 or Nvidia mx350
 

ckctam

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2011
Messages
344
Reaction score
3

Compare features not available.

Anyhow, based on the latest post, price diff is between i5 and i7 and diff graphic card.

If that's the case i5 is fine. Graphics don't matter bc you ain't gaming.

Just make sure you have at least 8gb of ram and 500 gb of SSD space.

Without comparing specs, swift 3 and 5 diff is the screen size I believe. Swift 3 is 13 inch and siwft 5 is 15 inch.
 

bluemondays

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2015
Messages
31
Reaction score
2
Compare features not available.

Anyhow, based on the latest post, price diff is between i5 and i7 and diff graphic card.

If that's the case i5 is fine. Graphics don't matter bc you ain't gaming.

Just make sure you have at least 8gb of ram and 500 gb of SSD space.

Without comparing specs, swift 3 and 5 diff is the screen size I believe. Swift 3 is 13 inch and siwft 5 is 15 inch.

Thank you, all for your comments.

Yes, I am not gaming.

15 inch is preferred but need to be light.

And battery life is a consideration.
 

bluemondays

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2015
Messages
31
Reaction score
2
Thank you, all for your comments.

Yes, I am not gaming.

15 inch is preferred but need to be light.

And battery life is a consideration.

A few years back I bought Asus laptop and within 2 days, it blanked out and I had to troop down to their service centre. Later I googled and found from this forum that this is a common problem!

So I just wanted to ensure that this Acer laptop does not have such issues.

Also the price is about $1,500+ now. Any idea if this is a higher Covid price? Or whether the price is likely to drop in a few weeks' time? As my old ASus still can "tong"
 
Last edited:

destiny88

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
28
Asus or hp is a better brand

there is no such thing as "a better brand"

just better quality products.


Asus and hp Had made failure products before, Acer had made very good products, it all depends on the model
 

destiny88

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
28
Thank you, all for your comments.

Yes, I am not gaming.

15 inch is preferred but need to be light.

And battery life is a consideration.

alternative u can also consider LG Gram 15" if u want 15" and lightweight with Better battery life, but price will be higher.

LG also have 14" but price is at $1700++ BUT with bigger size battery and military grade standard testing( Drop test etc etc)
 

bluemondays

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2015
Messages
31
Reaction score
2
I just came back from Best Denki but their blue laptop Swift 5 was out of stock.

The LG salesman was quite persuasive. but his model about $200+ more .Specs similar except he said could give life-time microsoft. but my office 365 comes with lifetime microsoft, I believe. So no real savings.

Would it be cheaper or same to buy from Shopee Acer direct? Any bad experiences buying laptop online?

I always go to the shop and get them to help me install. I am quite a novice at technology
 

ckctam

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2011
Messages
344
Reaction score
3
What you need to install? Office?

Buying online is fine as long as it is from a legit source. A lot of ppl buy them on Shoppee or Lazada.



I just came back from Best Denki but their blue laptop Swift 5 was out of stock.

The LG salesman was quite persuasive. but his model about $200+ more .Specs similar except he said could give life-time microsoft. but my office 365 comes with lifetime microsoft, I believe. So no real savings.

Would it be cheaper or same to buy from Shopee Acer direct? Any bad experiences buying laptop online?

I always go to the shop and get them to help me install. I am quite a novice at technology
 

flame2000

Banned
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
19,713
Reaction score
1,552
Yes, microsoft office. Understand it costs $200+

Nobody pays $200+ for Microsoft office when you can the legit copy for $50. Even the $20 ones are legit volume license from insitution or school which many had been using for years and still able to update.

For Windows 10, maybe $80 to get the retail version for peace of mind.
 

ckctam

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2011
Messages
344
Reaction score
3
Nobody pays $200+ for Microsoft office when you can the legit copy for $50. Even the $20 ones are legit volume license from insitution or school which many had been using for years and still able to update.

For Windows 10, maybe $80 to get the retail version for peace of mind.

Not sure which legit version you get for $50 Office. If it is, then it is not the latest version.

The standalone latest version is 200 dollars (https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/microsoft-365/buy/compare-all-microsoft-365-products-b).

But the laptop the guy is offering is $200+ for a diff spec and diff version. It is not just for office.

Install office is easy. If the store shop can't do it for you, you can always find someone you know who can do it.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top