Help with Motherboard and Ram

  • Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mental Health Helpline: 6389-2222 (24 hours) More info

conradmichael

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone, I'm having issues with consistent BSOD, crashing web browser pages, and programs that 'stopped working'

My Motherboard is: MSI H87-G43 Gaming
and Ram is: Corsair Vengeance 16GB

A friend told me later on that they were technically incompatible and offered some BIOS tweaks(Dram Timing, Advanced Dram Configuration, Dram Voltage, Dram Frequency) to which i applied.

However after the changed settings, i started to have the blue screens(Page fault in non paged area) and crashing programs,
I also stress tested with Prime95, and errors were always found between 1-2 hours or the program stopped working, I then attempted to revert the settings back to its Defaults, which were mainly all set to 'Auto'. But the issue still remained.

Before I was made aware of the incompatibility and did the BIOS changes, everything seemed to run fine for about 3.5 weeks, So were these problems I'm facing now inevitable because of the incompatibility or did we mess with the Bios settings poorly, and is there any way i can cleanly go back to its defaults.

i can post the value changes i made to the BIOS previously if it will help.

Thank you for any help.
-Conrad
 

shadey

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
6,780
Reaction score
721
I recommend resetting your BIOS to defaults. Do not tweak RAM.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.
 

conradmichael

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi shadey, thanks for the response.
I have the latest BIOS update
Am I able to reset the bios through the settings or only through the motherboard by clearing the cmos

I recommend resetting your BIOS to defaults. Do not tweak RAM.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,072
Reaction score
1,766
I suggest you manually set the timings to DDR3 1600 10-10-10-27 1.5V. The RAM should be able to work at these timings.
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,287
Reaction score
420
Power down PC and remove CMOS battery for a few seconds before putting back in.
 

conradmichael

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi Koenig168 thanks for the response,
Those were the settings that I was using as well, but I started to have the BSOD's :(
I don't know why it won't work

I suggest you manually set the timings to DDR3 1600 10-10-10-27 1.5V. The RAM should be able to work at these timings.
 

unsocialsoul

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2016
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Why not try removing one stick of ram and trying to see if you still get the crash? And then remove the first and use the second. Might even be an error in individual ram modules.
 

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
5,623
Reaction score
7
go f your friend lol. no problem but now created problem. You cannot go into BIOS and load optimized settings? or an option in BIOS for you to undo last change?
 

conradmichael

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi, I am able to load into the BIOS, I tried to manually revert all the values back to its defaults, when the problem still persisted I used the Restore defaults option in the BIOS settings, but still there are issues :/

go f your friend lol. no problem but now created problem. You cannot go into BIOS and load optimized settings? or an option in BIOS for you to undo last change?
 

conradmichael

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi, i tried checking the individual ram but they behave the same way. Is it that my ram is incompatible with my motherboard?

Why not try removing one stick of ram and trying to see if you still get the crash? And then remove the first and use the second. Might even be an error in individual ram modules.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,072
Reaction score
1,766
You can test for software problem.

1. Update Win 10

2. Check harddisk and system files. Open command prompt as Admin, and type "chkdsk /f /r". If that completes successfully, then "sfc /scannow".
 

conradmichael

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi, I ran chkdsk during bootup and no issues were shown,
I ran sfc /scannow and after the 100% verification it said "windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them"
How am I able to fix this?
Thank you

You can test for software problem.

1. Update Win 10

2. Check harddisk and system files. Open command prompt as Admin, and type "chkdsk /f /r". If that completes successfully, then "sfc /scannow".
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,072
Reaction score
1,766
Hi, I ran chkdsk during bootup and no issues were shown,
I ran sfc /scannow and after the 100% verification it said "windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them"
How am I able to fix this?
Thank you

I would normally copy out the data files into a backup HDD, wipe and do a fresh Win 10 installation.

Alternatively, you can reset Win 10, keeping your data. Settings - update & security - recovery - reset this PC - keep my files.
 

conradmichael

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Is there a downside to resetting Win 10 through Settings? Like if something goes wrong and I lose my files?

I would normally copy out the data files into a backup HDD, wipe and do a fresh Win 10 installation.

Alternatively, you can reset Win 10, keeping your data. Settings - update & security - recovery - reset this PC - keep my files.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top