Home Automation Enthusiasts

limjq44

Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
341
Reaction score
1
I am not sure about the feasibility of "smart homes" in Singapore.

Our normal HDB flats are not that big, so not sure what is the point of using voice controlled commands to turn on/off appliances at home

Take a look at this video, I understand that there's a delay because it goes through the IFTTT but is it neccesary? How far can your switch to your lights be? Haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYmxLUBmcM&t=47s


But it's feasible in this case, where your light switch are upstairs and you want to control it from downstairs. Don't have to go through the hassle of climbing the up the stairs to off and then down!

https://youtu.be/V7WfxI3ecVI?t=3m15s
 

waterfoe

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Going to renovate and thinking of using voice controlled commands like Amazon Echo or Google home. Anyone knows how reliable are these and whats the level of expertise/equipment available in Sg to do this?
This depend on the feature you require for your home....

Some pointers for your own consideration:

1. Ecosystem
2. Security
3. Ease of integration
4. Last but not least cost

You can PM for further discussion
 

Hang_Terra

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2002
Messages
1,249
Reaction score
0
hi, i have another solution for the smart lighting, it not so costly like other brands available and it is super easy to use.

Do share please! I'm planning a smart setup for my new place but at an impasse for the living room lighting. Most of the smart switches to control dumb lights are exorbitant!
 

waterfoe

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
hi, i have another solution for the smart lighting, it not so costly like other brands available and it is super easy to use.
Does your alternative solution allow it be to integrated with IFTTT or Stringify?
 

Jeb Lee

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Low Cost

To be honest, I've found several online discussing about mainstream products that ward off the regular guys due to cost.
There are already products out there that cost less (and work with software like IFTTT). A smart home worth bragging about is really just a small fraction of the regular renovation cost. :s13:

Add me to WhatsApp : 90302851
 

gheesung

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2000
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
Home Automation using Raspberry PI, Sonoff switches and Wemos D1 Mini IOT devices

Hi,

Moving into my new house end of the year. I am currently building my HA using open source software and hardware. Raspberry PI will be my hub which runs OpenHAB2 and Mosquitto MQTT. The switches, lights and sensors will be controlled by Sonoff switches and Wemos D1 Mini or Arduino sensors. All the stock firmware have to be reflashed with open source version. Wifi will be the communication protocol between the devices.

The level of technical skill is high. You need to be proficient in software and hardware but the cost is very low and will be happy to share this journey.
 

Hang_Terra

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2002
Messages
1,249
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Moving into my new house end of the year. I am currently building my HA using open source software and hardware. Raspberry PI will be my hub which runs OpenHAB2 and Mosquitto MQTT. The switches, lights and sensors will be controlled by Sonoff switches and Wemos D1 Mini or Arduino sensors. All the stock firmware have to be reflashed with open source version. Wifi will be the communication protocol between the devices.

The level of technical skill is high. You need to be proficient in software and hardware but the cost is very low and will be happy to share this journey.
Hey any reason why you eventually chose OpenHAB2 vs the others (eg Homeassistant)?
 

gheesung

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2000
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
I believed both are very capable software. I do not have a Raspberry PI yet and perform all my installation and testing on UDOO Neo board (Another IoT SOC with on board Arduino interface). For some reasons, I cannot get Python 3 to install which is a requirement for Home Assistant. On UDOO Neo, I managed to get the OpenHAB up and running in a short time. The Mosquitto MQTT broker also run smoothly in my Neo and all my sensors and wifi switches are talking to each other.
 

Hang_Terra

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2002
Messages
1,249
Reaction score
0
I believed both are very capable software. I do not have a Raspberry PI yet and perform all my installation and testing on UDOO Neo board (Another IoT SOC with on board Arduino interface). For some reasons, I cannot get Python 3 to install which is a requirement for Home Assistant. On UDOO Neo, I managed to get the OpenHAB up and running in a short time. The Mosquitto MQTT broker also run smoothly in my Neo and all my sensors and wifi switches are talking to each other.
Ok noted. Do share your experiences. I'll start my journey soon also for my new place.
 

Kegan1

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2017
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Integration with Echo for existing home

hi can anyone help advice what are the available light switches that is compatible with Amazon Echo and if there are any contractors can help in the installation.
 

koohansen

Master Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2000
Messages
3,154
Reaction score
198
Many people get the wrong concept of "Smart Home" it's not just turning on/off lights with voice/apps. That's pointless.

It must have the ability to perform a certain sequence, examples,

-When no motion detected for 10mins, auto turn off
-Temperature drops to a certain threshold turn off aircon, turn on fan
-Windows not closed for x mins after air con turn on, switch it off or won't allow it to turn on.
-window blinds automatically closes when the sun is shining directly in
-smart electric plugs that have electricity metering feature, you can attach to washing machine/dryer it will monitor the current usage, once it's dropped to very low current, eg standby, it cuts the power

and most importantly, measure the electricity consumption of your electronics
 

Shermie

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2017
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Many people get the wrong concept of "Smart Home" it's not just turning on/off lights with voice/apps. That's pointless.

It must have the ability to perform a certain sequence, examples,

-When no motion detected for 10mins, auto turn off
-Temperature drops to a certain threshold turn off aircon, turn on fan
-Windows not closed for x mins after air con turn on, switch it off or won't allow it to turn on.
-window blinds automatically closes when the sun is shining directly in
-smart electric plugs that have electricity metering feature, you can attach to washing machine/dryer it will monitor the current usage, once it's dropped to very low current, eg standby, it cuts the power

and most importantly, measure the electricity consumption of your electronics

Hi koohansen, do you mind to share more with me on how we can achieve this kind of home automation? Or is there any good reliable ones in the market? You may introduce to me via PM
 
Last edited:

Shermie

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2017
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Moving into my new house end of the year. I am currently building my HA using open source software and hardware. Raspberry PI will be my hub which runs OpenHAB2 and Mosquitto MQTT. The switches, lights and sensors will be controlled by Sonoff switches and Wemos D1 Mini or Arduino sensors. All the stock firmware have to be reflashed with open source version. Wifi will be the communication protocol between the devices.

The level of technical skill is high. You need to be proficient in software and hardware but the cost is very low and will be happy to share this journey.

Hi gheesung, did you set up the whole system by yourself? I definitely don't have any technical skills, but would like to find out more from you on your journey to home automation!
 

dduskk

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

Anyone knows if the MCO Home Touch Panel Switch can still be turned on and off manually even if the z wave technology is down?

Thanks!
 

Christopher86

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
i did up my home myself with china product broadlink and enable voice control with amazon echo dot. spent about $400 only cheap cheap.

I was thinking of this setup also. Kind to share what are the brands of devices you connect to like switches etc?

Also I heard to connect broad link and echo dot you need an additional android device to act as a bridge. Is it true?
 

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2015
Messages
71,750
Reaction score
70,505
I have recently acquired Google Home, Smartthings, and Harmony Hub. I have done the following :
- Lnked up Google/Harmony Connect to my Smartthings.
-Created Devices under Harmony app, and created Activities - Turn on TV, Turn off TV
- Under Google Home app, Home Control, I have linked up Smartthings/Samsung Connect.

I would like to know how I can control my TV ( e.g turn on the TV ) via Google Home voice assistant ?

( I understand that Google Home can be linked directly to Harmony Hub, but I was hoping to do it via Smartthings )

Ryan
 

samthedirector

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2017
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

is there any light switch that is not touchscreen and fits the Singapore 86mm socket? Plannning to construct through Smartthings. And does anyone know if there are any contractor that helps install these?

Thanks!
 

shacboi

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2017
Messages
758
Reaction score
0
Im having broadlink rm pro with echo dot 2nd gen. Usebthe IHC app for ur rm pro and it can be link to ur echo dot without the bridge. However there is a catch... Only 'tv remote' can b discover by echo dot, therefore watever device u wanted ur echo dot to b able to control needs to b learn as tv remote for now as workaround.

I was thinking of this setup also. Kind to share what are the brands of devices you connect to like switches etc?

Also I heard to connect broad link and echo dot you need an additional android device to act as a bridge. Is it true?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top