HTPC build

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
24,921
Reaction score
10
Hi guys, looking to build a HTPC for my house, coming here for some recommendations..

There are several criteria though.
First of all - Budget for everything, $800.
Second, I will be using my i5 processor from my pc and 8gb DDR3 ram from PC. Thus, For mobo/cpu recomendation, I need someone to recommend a mobo w i7 ivy bundle, and 16gb ddr3 ram recomendation (the i7 ivy bridge and 16gb ram goes into my desktop. Mobo however is going into the HTPC).
PC case, PSU, etc, can fit into the budget. I don't think I need a gfx card for HTPC.

Hope someone can give me a hand out here
 
Last edited:

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
24,921
Reaction score
10
Why would you need an i7 and 16gb rams for a HTPC?

the i7 ivy bridge and 16gb ram goes into my desktop. Mobo however is going into the HTPC

From original post.

But this must fit within the 800 budget.
 

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,212
Reaction score
17,455
I see. What u need is entry level mobo and the i7 as combo. Btw, how many pcie slots do u need? Need to use matx or normal atx?
 

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
24,921
Reaction score
10
I see. What u need is entry level mobo and the i7 as combo. Btw, how many pcie slots do u need? Need to use matx or normal atx?

Probably matx, small one because I dont want it to be too big
 

wtfh4x

Master Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2010
Messages
3,322
Reaction score
210
Don't understand why you can't move your mobo over also. Then can get Haswell already.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,730
Reaction score
1,554
Why not just dont move everything and just get a new HTPC at just only below $800?

Something like

ASRock H81M HDS + G3220 ~ $148
Crucial 4gb 1600mhz Value Ram ~ $55
WD Green 2tb ~ $106
Plextor m6s 128gb ~ $104
inWin BK644 + 300w PSU ~ $103
LG DVD Drive ~ $21
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM ~ $115

Total ~ $652. Buy at Tradepac. DIY
 

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
7,355
Reaction score
1
Why not just dont move everything and just get a new HTPC at just only below $800?

Something like

ASRock H81M HDS + G3220 ~ $148
Crucial 4gb 1600mhz Value Ram ~ $55
WD Green 2tb ~ $106
Plextor m6s 128gb ~ $104
inWin BK644 + 300w PSU ~ $103
LG DVD Drive ~ $21
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM ~ $115

Total ~ $652. Buy at Tradepac. DIY

I would add like 50 more bucks for a 250gb ssd for more bang for the buck cum more 120 gb space to install apps .
 
Last edited:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,212
Reaction score
17,455
main reason is because I'm not upgrading my cpu mobo atm. It is still doing fine.

My i5 in cpu is also ivy, I want to bring that over to the htpc.

Well, if u are already moving your i5 cpu to the HTPC, u might as well move the mobo to the HTPC too. Then u are free to upgrade to Haswell.
 

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
24,921
Reaction score
10
Why not just dont move everything and just get a new HTPC at just only below $800?

Something like

ASRock H81M HDS + G3220 ~ $148
Crucial 4gb 1600mhz Value Ram ~ $55
WD Green 2tb ~ $106
Plextor m6s 128gb ~ $104
inWin BK644 + 300w PSU ~ $103
LG DVD Drive ~ $21
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM ~ $115

Total ~ $652. Buy at Tradepac. DIY

Thanks! Will definetly take this into consideration.

Well, if u are already moving your i5 cpu to the HTPC, u might as well move the mobo to the HTPC too. Then u are free to upgrade to Haswell.

Ya actually after thinking again... I realised I should probably do that haha.
 

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,212
Reaction score
17,455
There is no need for a SSD for a HTPC. :s22:
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,730
Reaction score
1,554
Got budget mah.

If really need be can just remove the SSD and add in another 1tb HDD for more movie storage.
 

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,212
Reaction score
17,455
Got budget mah.

If really need be can just remove the SSD and add in another 1tb HDD for more movie storage.

If TS purpose for using HTPC is the same as I expected, to put in a TV card and record TV programmes, then straight away hoot a 4TB drive lor. :o
 

FatalityV

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
24,921
Reaction score
10
If TS purpose for using HTPC is the same as I expected, to put in a TV card and record TV programmes, then straight away hoot a 4TB drive lor. :o

I can put my 3tb over in my htpc, that one no fear one :s13:

However I really want to do an overhaul for my rig, which is why I asked about the i7 mobo + cpu. i5 is too slow for certain methods of deinterlacing when doing video encoding..

I think cant keep within budget already... maybe I will up my budget to 900.

Probably a simple case + psu as recommended by roy. my current matx mobo should be able to fit inside. cd drive too.

For new mobo looking at one of the two gigabyte mobos (Z97x-GAMING 3 or UD3H) + i74790

For ram kit looking at the gskill 16gb rams lor.

The 300w InWin, what's the brand/make of the PSU supplied within?

Will the 300w be able to run an i5 with no gfx?
 
Last edited:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,212
Reaction score
17,455
I can put my 3tb over in my htpc, that one no fear one :s13:

However I really want to do an overhaul for my rig, which is why I asked about the i7 mobo + cpu. i5 is too slow for certain methods of deinterlacing when doing video encoding..

I think cant keep within budget already... maybe I will up my budget to 900.

Probably a simple case + psu as recommended by roy. my current matx mobo should be able to fit inside. cd drive too.

For new mobo looking at one of the two gigabyte mobos (Z97x-GAMING 3 or UD3H) + i74790

For ram kit looking at the gskill 16gb rams lor.

The 300w InWin, what's the brand/make of the PSU supplied within?

Will the 300w be able to run an i5 with no gfx?

If you are not limited by narrow spaces (ie the need to put it in a small TV console) then I suggest a normal desktop casing, for better airflow and can use normal ATX PSUs.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top