iMac or MMini... What can I do with it?

Sturtles

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
1,956
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, thinking of getting a new desktop for my new place and somewhat attracted to the new 27" iMac design...

Just like to ask what can I do with them as I know there are some limitations coming from a windows user. Are there any somewhat unique functions that Apple blends seamlessly into the Mac that seems clumsy with IBM/windows config? Eg. backing up software, watching movies, office productivity, network sharing

Then looking deeper into the world of Apple, the Mac Mini seems like a sensible box, and much cheaper too..

I'm definitely going for the fusion drive/SSD configuration for either..

Looking forward to feedback from Mac aficionados here
 

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,223
Reaction score
311
For backing up there's Time Machine
Office Productivity there's iWork Suite
Networking Sharing is built right into OS X

There's no bloatware that comes along with your Mac. I would recommend the iMac
Stop worry about the hardware configuration much. Just get a Fusion drive, and enjoy your brand new Mac.
 

vashachiroku

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I have a Mac Mini. The iMac Retina is nice as well, but its all in how you use it. I already had a 27in monitor so no need to let that go to waste which is why I went with the mini.

As for the Fusion drive, depends on your needs I didn't go for one as I didn't see a point.

Both have their benefits between Windows and Mac, I use both daily. Most Windows users over think when they first start using a Mac. Bing/Google will be your best friend for the first few weeks!
 

themarxx

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
614
Reaction score
0
Speaking from pure aesthetics, I'd pick an iMac over a Macmini simply because of the greatly reduced wire clutter. The most basic Mini set up will require at least 5 cables (power for monitor, mini and speakers, audio, video) You really really don't want to use the Mini's internal speaker.

That said, if you intend to set up a fusion-drive for the mac, the mini will allow you to do it more easily if you choose not to go via apple store. You could for instance use the additional $280.00 to get a 256GB SSD instead of the 128GB one that Apple will install. Fusion Drive makes things snappier... much snappier. I could never go back to the days of pressing the power button then heading to the fridge to get a drink while the Mac boots up :).

Power wise, if you habitually keep your computer on for days on end, Mac mini will probably give you less of a bill shock.



I've included an illustration of cable clutter :) Fortunately, the unit is small enough to hide in a bookshelf

P.S I may be wrong about this, but if you are using a high resolution 27" Monitor, you may need to use the displayport cable rather than HDMI.
 
Last edited:

smp16

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2000
Messages
1,268
Reaction score
0
Being a Mac mini user , I consider Mac mini for the following reasons:
-Already have an existing monitor
-Not a heavy user , mainly for browsing and light editing for iMovie and iPhoto - using the early 2009 model. But I think it's time to upgrade soon. Strictly no games for me but current models may support now
- have a existing tv with Apple TV beside the Mac mini to air play when watching movies
-small in size and saves space.
-cheap and gd intro to the Mac osx
 

faithsilence

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2002
Messages
6,716
Reaction score
48
Mac mini might not be much cheaper once you add in the monitor and upgrades via Apple Store as it does not come with a monitor. iMacs overall package is more worthwhile IMO unless you have a spare monitor at home or intend to use your HDTV.

As for what you can do with it...

backing up software: Time Machine, Carbon Copier

watching movies: Rent or buy via iTunes

office productivity: MS Office for OS X or iWorks

network sharing: You probably will find it alot easier than configuring Windows for networking

You can run Windows on it too :p
 

Sturtles

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
1,956
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys, thanks for sharing... Just like to ask if I can use the 27" iMac as a TV display for the SCV box HDMI output etc?

Other than getting acquainted with the cool OSX, and to show off the tiny Mini or the ultra sexy iMac, there seem to be little advantage of using a macintosh platform... excluding windows virus, of course
 

Sturtles

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
1,956
Reaction score
0
Speaking from pure aesthetics, I'd pick an iMac over a Macmini simply because of the greatly reduced wire clutter. The most basic Mini set up will require at least 5 cables (power for monitor, mini and speakers, audio, video) You really really don't want to use the Mini's internal speaker.

That said, if you intend to set up a fusion-drive for the mac, the mini will allow you to do it more easily if you choose not to go via apple store. You could for instance use the additional $280.00 to get a 256GB SSD instead of the 128GB one that Apple will install. Fusion Drive makes things snappier... much snappier. I could never go back to the days of pressing the power button then heading to the fridge to get a drink while the Mac boots up :).

Power wise, if you habitually keep your computer on for days on end, Mac mini will probably give you less of a bill shock.



I've included an illustration of cable clutter :) Fortunately, the unit is small enough to hide in a bookshelf

P.S I may be wrong about this, but if you are using a high resolution 27" Monitor, you may need to use the displayport cable rather than HDMI.

Love your bookcase Mini... ultra cool placement
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,632
Reaction score
3,147
Hi Guys, thanks for sharing... Just like to ask if I can use the 27" iMac as a TV display for the SCV box HDMI output etc?

Other than getting acquainted with the cool OSX, and to show off the tiny Mini or the ultra sexy iMac, there seem to be little advantage of using a macintosh platform... excluding windows virus, of course

pre thunderbolt imac 27 can. now i think cannot.

advantage of mac os is the user experience. can't really describe to u but think ios and windows phone maybe.

most software can use across both platforms. but of cos, i must say those 'chiong' things, windows is better, which u can load on macs anyway. gaming also go windows.

if don't want clutter, use a soundbar. Extrememac sells on Amazon.
 

WongCL

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Messages
112
Reaction score
0
my understanding is mac mini uses mobile version of intel cpu while iMac uses desktop class...so even if both are i5 or i7, iMac will always win hands down...

so in terms of performance, it is better to get iMac route....and anw new mac mini is not out yet...so unless u want to buy the last gen version.
 

Sturtles

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
1,956
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys, thanks for all the replies.

Managed to plunge into the iMac 27" with 1TB fusion drive, c/w 16GB ram, nVidia 755m graphics + Apple care<- worth it?

Core consideration being the SSD will speed up the OS and boot times, while the 1TB will be able to store movies and downloaded junk(if there are any to DL).

Maverick comes with iWorks, and will try out for office productivity, before deciding if Office for Mac is worth the purchase.

MMini is more than a year old, and there isn't much news on a new release atm( it might just be announced next week since I'm not a TOTO winner kind of guy).

In addition, I'll need to buy the keyboard and mouse, as well as a good monitor, adding to the cost.

Looking forward to my first Macintosh, since I saw this legendary moniker on the PC magazine years back.

ETA 1-2 weeks. Hope it will be the start of a reinvigorating journey
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,632
Reaction score
3,147
for office, importing into Pages from MS office may lead to some errors. U'll still find the need for MS unless u only send out docs.
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
for office, importing into Pages from MS office may lead to some errors. U'll still find the need for MS unless u only send out docs.

I work with Word docs from Windows and I would only trust Office for Mac to get everything right. Meaning the fonts, layout and so on.

TS...that's a pretty good setup...am considering something similar for myself if I don't go the MBP way again.
 

Sturtles

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
1,956
Reaction score
0
I work with Word docs from Windows and I would only trust Office for Mac to get everything right. Meaning the fonts, layout and so on.

TS...that's a pretty good setup...am considering something similar for myself if I don't go the MBP way again.

My custom iMac arrived 2 days ago.

First impressions.

1. Kind of regretted getting AppleCare.

2. Might have used the money to upgrade to gtx 775M, or saved it

3. Fusion drive is snappy. My Mac boots in like seconds. There is not much stuff on my new Mac ATM though

4. Came with OSX 10.8.4. Upgraded to maverick. Can't tell the difference as this is my first Mac

5. The apple mouse has slightly poor sensitivity. To move across 27", i'll have to do large movements. Set the mouse tracking to max acceleration makes it better, but moving in small movements results in unproportionally small cursor position changes, or sometimes a unit jump

Downloaded a shooting game app, and it shows when you are trying to get a headshot

6. The 27" is huge. It feels ok when you are standing at the desk or at the apple stores, but when sitting down, it's not very ergonomic. May need a lower desk..

7. If only I can get it to accept external hdmi inputs....
 

vagus1978

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
677
Reaction score
0
1. Kind of regretted getting AppleCare.

Curious about this statement that comes after just 2 days of usage...:)

For my 2009 MB.....managed to cross 4 yrs without needing to use my Applecare..... not once did I feel regret about getting it.
 
Last edited:

Sturtles

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
1,956
Reaction score
0
Curious about this statement that comes after just 2 days of usage...:)

For my 2009 MB.....managed to cross 4 yrs without needing to use my Applecare..... not once did I feel regret about getting it.

Yea, precisely because the incidents of natural death of the iMac is low, as they are using slightly better components, compared to say acer or some xyz brands.

Also, being a desktop, there is less chance of it being damaged by being knocked around.

Hence the buyer's remorse for the extended warranty.
 

Sturtles

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
1,956
Reaction score
0
Does the imac produce so much heat that it heats up the room you are in?

Well, somehow, the mac does not feel hot much.

The processor and GPU is actually notebook class, so they should have relatively low TDP, or heat dissipation rate.

I think i have seen such remarks about it being a giant heater, but that is for older series of the iMac, the one with a cd slot.

Lots of its HDD are killed because of the heat and layout position
 

themarxx

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
614
Reaction score
0
Because you bought a 27" behemoth-mac instead of a mini or macbook, you will be glad to know that Applecare covers on site repair. Which in turns translates into a lesser risk of hernia and a much faster turn around time.

If Apple issues a 'defective hardware' announcement (they have done that for several products including the 2010-2011 imacs). They will be responsible for replacing the faulty part (regardless of Applecare) but guess who will be responsible for any damages incurred during the transport of the unit?

But most of all, you have 3.6million reasons for applecare - pixels. HDD, RAM, Fan and even logic board replacements are relatively economical, but even one dead/stuck pixel could test every moment you are using the Mac.

Additionally, Applecare will also take care of your trackpad/keyboard/mouse that came with the iMac. It may be easier for them to give you a new mouse than to prove that you DID drop it.

Given that Applecare is also a relatively small fraction of the cost of your speced-up iMac, I think you just got yourself peace of mind at a bargain!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top