iMac Repair Experience at funan level 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrysingsong

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

The purpose of this thread is to share my iMac Repair experience.

My iMac was unable to detect my keyboard and I am unable to use the recovery CD and I sent it to a repair shop at funan level 4.

The shop keeper told me that they can fix it at $40.
I left it there, 2 hours later, they called me saying that I have to change a new harddisk, and the total price is $180.

Up sold by that guy, no choice.

And a few hours later, they called, saying that the 500gb hard disk is out of stock, they are giving me a 640GB at $190.

Ok... what other choice?

And when I collect my iMac, my screen has a faint patch of dirt looking stain at the top left. I ask them to take a look and they say it is dust and proceed to remove the glass to wipe.

When I collect it again, the patch of dirt extended even further.
And when I told them, they said that is common and is a hardware problem. it is the LED, not dust.

WTF? My screen is perfectly alright when I pass to them, when they return it to me, there is a dirt patch, and after their "cleaning", the patch enlarges.

They resumed to deduct any money for the repair and refuse to admit their wrong.

I feel that if there is such a risk, they should sound off earlier.

So, please guys, cheap service comes with a price.
 

SimonPKM

Master Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
3,108
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

The purpose of this thread is to share my iMac Repair experience.

My iMac was unable to detect my keyboard and I am unable to use the recovery CD and I sent it to a repair shop at funan level 4.

The shop keeper told me that they can fix it at $40.
I left it there, 2 hours later, they called me saying that I have to change a new harddisk, and the total price is $180.

Up sold by that guy, no choice.

And a few hours later, they called, saying that the 500gb hard disk is out of stock, they are giving me a 640GB at $190.

Ok... what other choice?

And when I collect my iMac, my screen has a faint patch of dirt looking stain at the top left. I ask them to take a look and they say it is dust and proceed to remove the glass to wipe.

When I collect it again, the patch of dirt extended even further.
And when I told them, they said that is common and is a hardware problem. it is the LED, not dust.

WTF? My screen is perfectly alright when I pass to them, when they return it to me, there is a dirt patch, and after their "cleaning", the patch enlarges.

They resumed to deduct any money for the repair and refuse to admit their wrong.

I feel that if there is such a risk, they should sound off earlier.

So, please guys, cheap service comes with a price.

you sent to mac shop?
 

SimonPKM

Master Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
3,108
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

The purpose of this thread is to share my iMac Repair experience.

My iMac was unable to detect my keyboard and I am unable to use the recovery CD and I sent it to a repair shop at funan level 4.

The shop keeper told me that they can fix it at $40.
I left it there, 2 hours later, they called me saying that I have to change a new harddisk, and the total price is $180.

Up sold by that guy, no choice.

And a few hours later, they called, saying that the 500gb hard disk is out of stock, they are giving me a 640GB at $190.

Ok... what other choice?

And when I collect my iMac, my screen has a faint patch of dirt looking stain at the top left. I ask them to take a look and they say it is dust and proceed to remove the glass to wipe.

When I collect it again, the patch of dirt extended even further.
And when I told them, they said that is common and is a hardware problem. it is the LED, not dust.

WTF? My screen is perfectly alright when I pass to them, when they return it to me, there is a dirt patch, and after their "cleaning", the patch enlarges.

They resumed to deduct any money for the repair and refuse to admit their wrong.

I feel that if there is such a risk, they should sound off earlier.

So, please guys, cheap service comes with a price.

after reading i think first of all the diagnose wrongly is not your keyboard issue is your harddisk that is giving you the problem so they just keep charging you extra and extra, and their service really OMG.
 

starrysingsong

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
we all know that sending to a mac shop is the best situation. But only when you are under warranty.

I sent it to a shop which is on bridge, open concept kind.

Just take note of the shop that is not the kind of normal shop.

Haiz... now my imac has a giant and ugly screen...
 

starrysingsong

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
you sent to mac shop?

No, there is no more warranty. To go Mac shop is as good as buy a new mac.

I will consider mac mini, as I can change the hard disk on my own and with the money spent, I can even get a dual screen. Just that I don't look cool any more.
 

SimonPKM

Master Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
3,108
Reaction score
0
No, there is no more warranty. To go Mac shop is as good as buy a new mac.

I will consider mac mini, as I can change the hard disk on my own and with the money spent, I can even get a dual screen. Just that I don't look cool any more.

okay now the air is clear, sigh bad luck for you, met this type of service.
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,569
Reaction score
3,121
No, there is no more warranty. To go Mac shop is as good as buy a new mac.

I will consider mac mini, as I can change the hard disk on my own and with the money spent, I can even get a dual screen. Just that I don't look cool any more.

yep, tats y apple product should renew warranty if not just sell off.

repairs wise, under warranty, i used Sapura Funan. Experience was positive. and i won't bother sending anywhere to repair without warranty.

im using the mac mini now with a Dell U2312. Matte screens are just so much more versatile and easy on the eye. SSD would be much better but it's an expensive option. DIY also lecheh and may void warranty if things go wrong.
 

inxlee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
11,639
Reaction score
0
I wont be surprised if he switched out your lcd for another defective one...:/
 

FlushX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Messages
10,555
Reaction score
12
we all know that sending to a mac shop is the best situation. But only when you are under warranty.

I sent it to a shop which is on bridge, open concept kind.

Just take note of the shop that is not the kind of normal shop.

Haiz... now my imac has a giant and ugly screen...

:eek::eek:

I also had a bad experience with them before. damn.

I rmb sending in my MBP 13" for repair. Was told I can collect 3 days later or smth. When I headed down, they told me repair not done, need to wait for 1 more day. WTF?!

In the end, decided not to go ahead with the repair and just take back my MacBook :mad::mad:
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
Always use apple authorised service centres. Even if warranty over they will still repair just that of course must pay. At least u know u r in good hands.

No point go to some chapalang shop cos its cheaper. In the end either they screw it up or they charge more than quoted and STILL screw it up.
 

FlushX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Messages
10,555
Reaction score
12
Always use apple authorised service centres. Even if warranty over they will still repair just that of course must pay. At least u know u r in good hands.

No point go to some chapalang shop cos its cheaper. In the end either they screw it up or they charge more than quoted and STILL screw it up.

in my case, the apple authorised service centre quoted me 1K plus to change the display. :(
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,569
Reaction score
3,121
in my case, the apple authorised service centre quoted me 1K plus to change the display. :(

Normal, i once spent abt $700 just to repair a mac mini logic board. After tat i told myself either i buy applecare, or throw the item away. No point going to 3rd party shops.
 

simonsez

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
663
Reaction score
0
it is the price you pay to look cool.
Sometimes, it is best to buy a Windows tower...easy to repair and replace.

And yes, I am an Apple user (trapped!)
 

SimonPKM

Master Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
3,108
Reaction score
0
it is the price you pay to look cool.
Sometimes, it is best to buy a Windows tower...easy to repair and replace.

And yes, I am an Apple user (trapped!)

lol why do you need to buy apple to look cool, means you are not cool enough?
anyway i uses mac since lisa so i guess you give me a windows machine I'll be dumb, but i see a lot of mac users now a days just install windows on their machine and use windows, defeat the purpose of getting a mac, but thanks to them apple can sell their machine cheaper not like it use to 1 titanium book sells at about 5.5k close to 6k. I'm grateful to those mac-windows user. :p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top