Incredible INDIA!

  • Have you been Scammed?
    Follow this advisory from National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) or call ScamShield Helpline 1799. More info

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
What an adventure! From innocent children to nearly getting scammed by a friendly old lady!

I was there for business but got enough time to see some sights of New Delhi.

I stayed at the Vivanta Hotel (by Taj) at Surajkund. Sibeh atas place. More like a resort than a hotel and all for SGD1095 for 8 days. This included 20% off for the F&B at their premises.

Firstly pics of the hotel.

Hotel lobby
h0cYU0zl.jpg


Upon entering the room
mgqZrpJl.jpg


Bathroom with shower stall
aBwejDMl.jpg


Bathroom bathtub
7IanlTSl.jpg


Closet
JVnYGN2l.jpg


Closet
2WgN7spl.jpg


Both the closet and the bathroom use a heavy wooden sliding door.
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
TV with couch and table
QR1O0I6l.jpg


Looking back and there is a roller curtain that covers the bathroom.
eEWgTell.jpg


Bed. A king with feather pillows.
DFFDnlll.jpg


Figured a way to draw the curtains. It is electrically drawn.
O6SYO2tl.jpg


View of bedroom from bathroom
LVzTu5ul.jpg
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
A quick exploration of the hotel.

The hotel is structured like a baoli if you understand what that is. It is a reservoir that the Indians used in times past.
iSoSQJWl.jpg


Here is the entrance to the health area. The spa and pool is after this.
L618Mswl.jpg


The spa. More on it later because one of the days I used the spa.
JfuZNSfl.jpg


Then the pool. No didn't swim. It is usually 20 deg C in the morning so the water is a good 19 I guess.
kWNEF81l.jpg


The baoli design of the hotel.
kiH13hFl.jpg


At night they have gas-lit torches by the fountain.
DjTnTGul.jpg


The central fountain at night.
a6WXqJMl.jpg
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
First place I went out to visit is the Qutub Complex. Read up about it. This is the second tallest minar in the world. Started in 1192 and only finished in 1368. Humans included for scale.
senAXBfl.jpg


Looking up at it. Last time they allowed people to climb up. Not anymore.
OldIZ7jl.jpg


Inside some of the excavated structures.
hmvYvaSl.jpg


Then woah! On my right but not in view is the strange cast iron pillar. It has not rusted ever since it was there!
Kx7YEvFl.jpg


This picture is the second time I went to the Qutub complex. The reason for this is because I was scheduled to go to Arkshardam Temple but they don't allow photography. So I didn't want to go.
p4k5ZiLl.jpg


Found this arch to frame the minar.


EDIT: Better processed picture of Qutub Minar.
 
Last edited:

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
I found out that I can go in after dark! But it means I have to exit and then re-enter again! Have to pay the fee again! Bummer! It is INR250 per entry but it is opened for an hour only from 6PM to 7PM. I had to tip the guard some INR20 to let me stay for an additional 15 minutes.

This is before I exited to re-enter again for the night admission. The cast iron pillar in view.


There is a lot more around and it is actually a huge garden.
167r1zj.jpg


Finally a night shot. I figured it will be good. I noticed there are airline flights passing overhead during the day and it will be a great idea to have it included.


The archway which I used to frame the minar earlier on but at night.


More when I get more pictures done and processed. Coming up, the Red Fort and Humayun's Tomb. There is also the mysterious Lotus Temple.

EDIT: Qutub garden complex. Indian nationals go into the Qutub complex for only INR10 while I have to pay INR250.
 
Last edited:

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
OK some food pics.

My first Kingfisher. I am not disappointed. My Indian distributor asked for Budweiser and I was like ....What the.... Kingfisher trashes Budweiser.
EHhcevIl.jpg


Roti they serve at the hotel breakfast.
iS5sIUkl.jpg


QwEZLokl.jpg


mxxKHq7l.jpg


7ZLvXLcl.jpg


YS93rnLl.jpg
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
But the waiters after 2 days know what I want. Paper masala dosa.
d8Po7Nql.jpg


Bloody hell! Come India don't eat Indian bread? All the other tourist see the huge dosa I have all want to have it also.

Then one day, I ordered bathura. Sitting outside. It was cold but the hot chole gave great heat to the morning breakfast.
rm3iKwyl.jpg
 

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
11,231
Reaction score
402
lost a challenge or something ? where the choices are either die or india?
 

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Messages
12,765
Reaction score
1,590
Hi TS,is it safe for couples to go travelling tgt? Heard there r many cases of ladies there getting raped,including foreign ladies? Tkx.
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
Hi TS,is it safe for couples to go travelling tgt? Heard there r many cases of ladies there getting raped,including foreign ladies? Tkx.

It is OK. You can get a driver to bring you around but my contact is only for New Delhi.

Foreign ladies getting raped are those backpackers traveling alone. Couple, I don't see the chance unless you take their public transport which I don't recommend. Just get a driver to bring you around. I only went to Humayun's Tomb, Qutub Complex, The Lotus Temple and The Red Fort. I decided to give Arkshardam Temple a miss because they don't allow photography inside. India Gate is full of scammers. Watch out.
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
Went to The Red Fort. Lots of pigeons flying inside.

BF7BVa7l.jpg


Then something funny. I become superstar. They seem to find East Asians fascinating. I mean as in Mongoloid race people. Chinese, Koreans, Japanese. I think there are very few East Asian tourists that actually come to India. Angmoh, a lot but not East Asian. So what happened? Everywhere I go, they want to take picture with me! So these boys below took a picture with me and I in turn ask to take their picture too!

uZNwiTil.jpg


More Red Fort pictures.
Yg6yN6hl.jpg


Inside the Red Fort there is a market. Quite famous too. Very strange to see a market inside a fort. It is the Chatta Chowk Bazzar or Meena Bazzar as it it is known.



Pretty bells.


However the inside is a little disappointing. I can only imagine the splendour of the Mughal Empire. The inside building interiors are marble with lots of carving and inlaid stuff. All the pretty jewels that are on it are now plundered. A lot of spider web and stuff. There are still a lot of restoration work going on.

The highlight of my visit to New Delhi is Humayun's Tomb.
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
Humayun's Tomb. The blueprint for the Mughals that will culminate into the Taj Mahel.

But before that, in the Humayun's Tomb complex area, we have to go past 2 other dead guys. First is Isa Khan's Tomb.

p92wbfh.jpg


The tomb is in front but the side on the right is a mosque. All these dead guys have a mosque next to their tombs.

Tourist checking his gallery after taking picture at Isa Khan's Tomb.


Next is a the tomb of a Mughal Officer. They dunno his name. Just know he is an officer.

WHfDK5dl.jpg


As usual, mosque is on the right.

So after passing by some gateways that are impressive and also restored we come to Humyun's Tomb.



A lot of tourists in the morning but surprisingly it is their own people. Lots of school kids from other parts of India come to see their national treasures.



Amazing structure of marble and sandstone.
 
Last edited:

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
Indian XMM cannot resist looking back at the camera snapping away.


Tomb tourist


A tourist inside the tomb.


Much of it is restored but downstairs, they locked a lot of places but inside got a lot of dead guys tombs as well.


Up close. The main entrance to the tomb structure.
SlamFTXl.jpg
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
Next is The Lotus Temple.


Outside you can take pictures but not inside. So I have no pics of the inside. But if you inspect how it is constructed, it is a great engineering marvel. Can fight against Sydney Opera House. But then ah..... I traveled to another location and see their metro system and how it is constructed. Really CMI. Temple so good engineering, infrastructure CMI engineering....

OK next is India Gate. Not much pictures here. But I can say is the scammers here can get you sibeh angry.
QgGvYiMl.jpg


I managed to take a picture of the Delhi Police officer in ceremonial garb. I asked for this picture then he give this fierce satki pose.


That is all for New Delhi. I would say, go there for 3 days just to see Qutub Complex, Humayun's Tomb is worth it. The other one which I didn't go is Arkshardam Temple. Inside this temple got IMAX show and laser show. I'm not intrigued by that and furthermore I was alone. No pictures allowed so I didn't go. However it is highly rated in TA.

A lot of other temples also worth going for the photography if you are into photography. Maybe next time for me.
 

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
17,525
Reaction score
24
nice pictures!


I always wanted to visit india, but couldn't find anyone to go with me :(
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
Finally my spa experience at the hotel. In India they approach it differently. I mean for the high end spa. I opted for the Indian Aromatherapy. I was led to the spa room after having a steam bath. They gave me their own underwear to use. Was using their robe.

As I was walking there, the whole place is lit iwth LED candles and even the whole spa room is dark and lit with LED candles. Even the celing was full of LED candles. Then the therapist before she proceeded to wash my feet, she said, "Atithi Devo Bhav", Our guest is our god. So all the LED candles is to worship me. :o

So after the session she gave me a garland of flowers that represents teh continuing deity of our guest. Woah. OK.

I opted for strong and she was rather forceful for a small woman.
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
what's on the tip of the bread? :s22:

This is brioche à tête. They come with a tip on the top. Master baker Richard Bertinet shows how to make them and how to form that tip.



Freaking rich bread. I didn't eat but I think they are machine made since they look so perfect with the tiny tip.

Made it once. Very hard work.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top