Intel next gen CPU may come soldered.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,328
Reaction score
6,589
I think the 9700k would be a far more interesting chip to overclock than the 9900k. Processors with HT usually can't overclock much while having stability.
And in essence, the 9th generation are all but Haswell/Skylake refreshes. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think the HT on the 9700k was intentionally removed to prevent cannibalizing sales on the 9900k despite having a higher cache being the main difference between both processors.

Basically for Gen 9, it seems like only i9 will get the HT treatment.

And so far, only one i9 model inside whole Gen 9 family.
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,355
Reaction score
1,508
Basically for Gen 9, it seems like only i9 will get the HT treatment.

And so far, only one i9 model inside whole Gen 9 family.


And I think it will be the only model as such otherwise it goes into HEDT territory where Intel will earn less on mainstream platform.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,881
Reaction score
30,455
Basically for Gen 9, it seems like only i9 will get the HT treatment.

And so far, only one i9 model inside whole Gen 9 family.

Which also makes it the only model susceptible to the TLB exploit. Irony?
 

Ferolare

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
48,329
Reaction score
144
does that mean i will need a 360mm aio if i want a 9900k @ 4.7ghz for avx tasks? :s34:
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,355
Reaction score
1,508
I feel the 9700K would be the most optimal one to get even compared to the i9 9900k. If I were to consider the 9900k, I would rather pay more for a HEDT Platform since I believe it is the lower end of the HEDT Buyer's that look at this option in the first place.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,328
Reaction score
6,589
I feel the 9700K would be the most optimal one to get even compared to the i9 9900k. If I were to consider the 9900k, I would rather pay more for a HEDT Platform since I believe it is the lower end of the HEDT Buyer's that look at this option in the first place.

If you want a fast, affordable HEDT and want something better than current 8700K, then the 9900K is the one to go for.

I believe 9700K will be the most popular one, follow by 9600K and then the 9900K.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,079
Reaction score
1,770
With max turbo at 5 GHz, looks like another 14 nm iteration. We might have to wait for a real die shrink before seeing any clock boost.
 

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
29,769
Reaction score
91
But if you don't consider cost as the main driver, then it would be reliability concerns as mentioned in the article, and only a madman would think that. What if haylui commits suicide upon hearing of this idea?

Won't la. What Intel do has nothing to do with me.
 

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
does that mean i will need a 360mm aio if i want a 9900k @ 4.7ghz for avx tasks? :s34:

Is Stilt going to the dark side? :s34:
Nbmjr6x.png

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/speculation-amds-response-to-intels-8-core-i9-9900k.2549874/

amazon.png
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top