Intel's Comet Lake come with HSF?

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2000
Messages
34,549
Reaction score
2,866
Hi guys, how does the Comet Lake stack up against current AMD offerings?

Does new Intel CPU come with HSF?

Thank you.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I believe the answer is yes for non K versions, i.e. overclocking enabled versions. But the stock heatsink is really pathetic, and will to some extend hinder performance.
 

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2000
Messages
34,549
Reaction score
2,866
i think still is only the K series is without HSF. The rest should have.

I believe the answer is yes for non K versions, i.e. overclocking enabled versions. But the stock heatsink is really pathetic, and will to some extend hinder performance.

Found this after digging for an hour :s13:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/r...coolers-with-non-k-comet-lake-processors.html

index.php

index.php
 

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2000
Messages
34,549
Reaction score
2,866
i recommend this read as it contains comparison charts for both amd and intel mid to high end offerings.
https://www.techspot.com/review/2031-intel-core-i5-10600k/
also this for low to mid tier: https://www.techspot.com/review/2033-intel-core-i3-10100/

Thanks bro, really appreciate your post.

I mainly do office work and run several virtual machines so I'm not sure if Intel is faster or AMD. I don't overclock and use stock coolers.

In this case, the 10400 vs R5 3600 (similar price point). I've been reading and most reviews say that performance is similar.

Something that doesn't add up is how does a 14nm Intel CPU perform similar to an AMD R5 3600 that is 7nm? :s11:
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,843
Reaction score
1,782
Thanks bro, really appreciate your post.

I mainly do office work and run several virtual machines so I'm not sure if Intel is faster or AMD. I don't overclock and use stock coolers.

In this case, the 10400 vs R5 3600 (similar price point). I've been reading and most reviews say that performance is similar.

Something that doesn't add up is how does a 14nm Intel CPU perform similar to an AMD R5 3600 that is 7nm? :s11:

The 10400 score 13k cpumark
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-10400+%40+2.90GHz&id=3737

while amd 3600 score 17.8k
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+3600&id=3481

amd is 36.9% faster
If its the same price why get intel?
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Thanks bro, really appreciate your post.

I mainly do office work and run several virtual machines so I'm not sure if Intel is faster or AMD. I don't overclock and use stock coolers.

In this case, the 10400 vs R5 3600 (similar price point). I've been reading and most reviews say that performance is similar.

Something that doesn't add up is how does a 14nm Intel CPU perform similar to an AMD R5 3600 that is 7nm? :s11:
Check up the reviews. It’s able to keep up by spamming it with a lot of power. Don’t be fooled by the 65W TDP. At full tilt, it may draw double of what is advertised on the box, in order to keep up with competition. That’s why I said, even though both stock coolers are bad, Intel’s high power consumption (results in high heat output) will result in poor performance even if you run at stock.
 

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2000
Messages
34,549
Reaction score
2,866
Check up the reviews. It’s able to keep up by spamming it with a lot of power. Don’t be fooled by the 65W TDP. At full tilt, it may draw double of what is advertised on the box, in order to keep up with competition. That’s why I said, even though both stock coolers are bad, Intel’s high power consumption (results in high heat output) will result in poor performance even if you run at stock.

I see, that sounds logical. I'm was actually looking at the 2600 until it went OOS, so no choice but to look at 3600.

What is a good retailer to buy from in SLS? I've read that some retailers don't allow people to buy bundle (CPU+Mobo+RAM) and online prices are more expensive.

That's why I ended up re-looking at Intel again.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I see, that sounds logical. I'm was actually looking at the 2600 until it went OOS, so no choice but to look at 3600.

What is a good retailer to buy from in SLS? I've read that some retailers don't allow people to buy bundle (CPU+Mobo+RAM) and online prices are more expensive.

That's why I ended up re-looking at Intel again.

I feel whichever is cheaper, you can consider it. Honestly, both are capable CPUs, although Intel chips tend to be more power hungry. In both cases, it will help if you get a simple third party cooler without spending too much on it. The stock cooler just won't cut it, especially for the Intel chip.

Otherwise you can consider getting from the likes of Amazon if the price is better.
 

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2000
Messages
34,549
Reaction score
2,866
I feel whichever is cheaper, you can consider it. Honestly, both are capable CPUs, although Intel chips tend to be more power hungry. In both cases, it will help if you get a simple third party cooler without spending too much on it. The stock cooler just won't cut it, especially for the Intel chip.

Otherwise you can consider getting from the likes of Amazon if the price is better.

Mobo seems to be more expensive on Amazon :(
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top