Investment advice $140k

Needmysleep

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2018
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
644
First post in this money mind forum.

Recently have some cash I need to invest for at least 8-12 months.
Wish to be quite conservative with this amount as will likely go into home payments and renovation.
I do have a fundsupermart account - with mostly CPF OA investments.
I know that this year has been quite horrible for most investments!

Any ideas for a conservative investment ( other than the bank account :( ) for this amount of money.
- don't think FD since I need it to be liquid.

TIA
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,293
Reaction score
5,870
First post in this money mind forum.

Recently have some cash I need to invest for at least 8-12 months.
Wish to be quite conservative with this amount as will likely go into home payments and renovation.
I do have a fundsupermart account - with mostly CPF OA investments.
I know that this year has been quite horrible for most investments!

Any ideas for a conservative investment ( other than the bank account :( ) for this amount of money.
- don't think FD since I need it to be liquid.

TIA
how liquid you need it to be?

instant?
1 week?
1 month?
6 months?
 

iduncheckmail

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2002
Messages
6,832
Reaction score
3,438
First post in this money mind forum.

Recently have some cash I need to invest for at least 8-12 months.
Wish to be quite conservative with this amount as will likely go into home payments and renovation.
I do have a fundsupermart account - with mostly CPF OA investments.
I know that this year has been quite horrible for most investments!

Any ideas for a conservative investment ( other than the bank account :( ) for this amount of money.
- don't think FD since I need it to be liquid.

TIA

For investments there is no certainly to turn around in 8-12mths.
You need it to be liquid means savings accounts.
You dont want savings accounts.

I Needmysleep.
 

Needmysleep

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2018
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
644
how liquid you need it to be?

instant?
1 week?
1 month?
6 months?

1-2 weeks is fine .

For investments there is no certainly to turn around in 8-12mths.
You need it to be liquid means savings accounts.
You dont want savings accounts.

I Needmysleep.

haha.I understand what u mean . Am usually in things for the long run.
 

Needmysleep

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2018
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
644
8-12 mths bao jiak + liquid + not bank acc + not FD ?
you need it to make you breakfast and clean your house also?

FD locks it away.
Bank account - not doing anything inside the account . want it separate from my running account.
Liquid - since might need it pulled when ready to be used

Make breakfast and clean house - bonus!
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,614
Reaction score
5,598
1. What is the earliest date when you could need to tap this particular money? (For example, if you haven't even bought the home yet and won't for at least 8 months then you don't need this particular money for renovations yet.)

2. Once the earliest date has arrived, how quickly would you need to tap this particular money (in minutes, hours, days, or weeks)?

3. Do your answers change for a portion of this particular money? For example, would you need a maximum of $70K (50%) as soon as 9 months from now and could tolerate up to a 5 week delay in obtaining that $70K for spending?
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,293
Reaction score
5,870
I redeemed few years back. cannot remember the actual turnaround but I know its quite fast.
it is. from a few days up till 1 month so 1-2 weeks as mentioned by ts might be too long
1. What is the earliest date when you could need to tap this particular money? (For example, if you haven't even bought the home yet and won't for at least 8 months then you don't need this particular money for renovations yet.)

2. Once the earliest date has arrived, how quickly would you need to tap this particular money (in minutes, hours, days, or weeks)?

3. Do your answers change for a portion of this particular money? For example, would you need a maximum of $70K (50%) as soon as 9 months from now and could tolerate up to a 5 week delay in obtaining that $70K for spending?
TS mentioned need liquidity within 1-2 weeks
 

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
6,743
Reaction score
3,093
There is the option of dividing the money into a more liquid, can-withdraw-anytime option like a high yield savings account, while putting some in a T-bill or fixed deposit for the higher yield.
 

dude123

Master Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
4,261
Reaction score
580
First post in this money mind forum.

Recently have some cash I need to invest for at least 8-12 months.
Wish to be quite conservative with this amount as will likely go into home payments and renovation.
I do have a fundsupermart account - with mostly CPF OA investments.
I know that this year has been quite horrible for most investments!

Any ideas for a conservative investment ( other than the bank account :( ) for this amount of money.
- don't think FD since I need it to be liquid.

TIA
can consider DBS 3.5%..instant FAST in & out..super liquid..
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,556
Reaction score
3,239
can consider DBS 3.5%..instant FAST in & out..super liquid..
3.5% is those need to fulfill multiple criteria that kind? Not everyone is keen to play such game as it is tiring need to keep track. If no work or retiree by all means but if full-time working (unless is shake leg kind of job), doubt TS want to go through that effort to get that 3.5%
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top