Is Epok-Epok same as Curry Puff?

Dhalsim

Senior Member
Joined
May 28, 2013
Messages
1,375
Reaction score
389
I am confused!

I was corrected by the makcik when I ordered 2 curry puffs, and she said that is epok-epok.
Is there a difference?? I thought they were the same thing!
 

Flexamoria

Honorary Member
Joined
May 23, 2005
Messages
135,291
Reaction score
11,531
Curry puff is a term in bolehland

Epok epok is explicitly in Singapore
Curry puff mention here is the triangle one
 

Nevereatrice

Honorary Member
Joined
May 15, 2015
Messages
146,797
Reaction score
27,322
1st 60 years in my life i heard of this word epok epok. all along is kali pok. dunno which genius invent
 

Rathcycle

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2006
Messages
9,289
Reaction score
3,578
If I'm not wrong kalipok Is a Chinese adaptation of the malay epokepok. Just like how nasi lemak was a malay food then adapted for sinkie Chinese and eaten by Chinese.
It's very normal, it's called food localisation if I'm not wrong, or something like that.
 

vespaguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
8,331
Reaction score
4,026
In boleland, karipap is currypuff. sardine filling is karipap sadin. epok2 used to be reserved for veggie puff ie. the one filled with taugey.

In Sg, it also used to be karipap but then some wiseguys in the Malay community started using the term epok epok to cover all currypuff ie. karipap. so now epok epok is synonymous with karipap.

But the Chinese community still uses currypuff - so it's currypuff, sardine puff, veggie puff.
 

keewee0415

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2010
Messages
32,406
Reaction score
11,660
Same same but different.

Got Indian version too according to this CNA documentary

 

vespaguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
8,331
Reaction score
4,026
If I'm not wrong kalipok Is a Chinese adaptation of the malay epokepok. Just like how nasi lemak was a malay food then adapted for sinkie Chinese and eaten by Chinese.
It's very normal, it's called food localisation if I'm not wrong, or something like that.
kalipok is currypuff. like nasi loma is nasi lemak.

nowadays everyone can speak fluently so when one uses kalipok, it's just "heartland vernacular".
 

vespaguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
8,331
Reaction score
4,026
Same same but different.

Got Indian version too according to this CNA documentary


Indian version is samosa. The flaky pastry Indian curry puff is the worse sheet Pakcik has ever eaten. Dry and too flaky. Macam crispy prata. Yucks. Crispy pata Pakcik doesn't mind but not deep fried prata aka Thasevi/Jalan Kayu/Moghan/Spring whatever style. Roti Prata should be crispy outside but soft and tender inside, not deep fried. Hahah

To each his own la. You suka, you makan. You tak suka, you tak makan la.
 

vespaguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
8,331
Reaction score
4,026
Epok-epok (Malay curry puffs) have existed for centuries, with origins likely dating back to the 1500s in the Malay Peninsula

Wahh you 60 y. o already ah
Portugese brought over empanadas. cornish pasties was brought over by British. Because Chillies were brought to India by British? or POrtugese from south America. Pakcik also not sure la. Pakcik believes deep fried food was brought over by Portugese, just like they influenced the creation of tempura in Japan. Locals did not have so much cooking oil to deep fry food. People love to embellish nusantara tales to show certain cultures descended from (fill in the blanks). Like how Professor Kangkung spouts all sorts of BS rubbish about Malay this Malay that with all her embellished fantasies. What we do know is that the nusantara region was a source of lots of yummy spices and food. Must find out when empanadas were invented.

Pakcik could be completely wrong also. Apologies in advance - just have never seen any references to karipap/epok2 in documentation about the nusantara.
 
Last edited:

vespaguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
8,331
Reaction score
4,026
Epok-epok (Malay curry puffs) have existed for centuries, with origins likely dating back to the 1500s in the Malay Peninsula

Wahh you 60 y. o already ah
the Portugese/Spaniards also have empanadas (or Latinos). Same thing as kalipok/karipap/epok2.
 
Last edited:

orpisia

Emeritus Honorary Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2013
Messages
201,675
Reaction score
23,904
I am confused!

I was corrected by the makcik when I ordered 2 curry puffs, and she said that is epok-epok.
Is there a difference?? I thought they were the same thing!
Can see you in the upcoming Street Fighter movie bo
 

xcodes

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2013
Messages
64,720
Reaction score
29,849
I view them as the same thing just with different names ... :)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top