Is IconSiam worth visiting?

holidayforever

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To get there: Take BTS to Saphan Taksin, exit 3, go to the tentage area to wait for free shuttle ferry.

Worth going or not: Depends, the sook siam area, has lots of Thai food and snacks to offer, can try before deciding to buy or not, quite a good place to buy snacks for family/friends or colleagues. Food, generally not too expensive, maybe 10 baht mark up compared to street side.

Shopping: Great, lots of branded and big brands available but due to the exchange rates, everything seems to be the same if not more expensive than in SG.

If u like Mickey mouse, they have a collaboration with Icon Siam and there are some products that u can buy like toiletries bag, t shirts, caps etc.

Aircon is good, toilets are clean as well. Food selection is great with a cinema at the top floor, go to the outdoor area to take photos.

holidayforever

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Countdown experience: Bad

Fireworks: Great

Lack of crowd control: Even though there were barriers set up and security guards directing people, it was definitely not good enough. Perhaps, it is their first time holding an official countdown and they did not expect the large turn out of people. People were all pushing, especially the Indians and Chinese and some locals from the countryside. A lot of ang mohs were fed up and including us, we kept shouting at the locals to not push and squeeze.

At 11:55, my partner and I were at the outdoor area just infront of the main gate, 1 Thai old uncle just squeezed all his way through, and there are steps in front of us, he lost balance and fell, people behind us kept pushing and both of us fell onto the uncle. Orbit goot for pushing us la. End up he lost his glasses and people stepped on it. I scrapped my knees but luckily nothing major happened and we were able to enjoy the fireworks.

1 word of advise, come around 10pm to get a good spot.

It took us 1.5 hours, with lots of shouting, squeezing and pushing to squeeze back to the pier area after the fireworks. Finally managed to take the ferry at around 01:45 and reach BTS station around 2am.

A few people fainted or were feeling dizzy and had to be attended to. We scolded the media, as they were pushing their way through in order to take photos of the Thai celebs, one of them being Nadech Kugimiya . Overall, it is a good experience but hopefully, next year will be a better one.

The staff started to disperse the crowd and letting people go towards the pier batch by batch after 1.5 hours, which I felt was a bit too late.

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Lack of crowd control: Even though there were barriers set up and security guards directing people, it was definitely not good enough. Perhaps, it is their first time holding an official countdown and they did not expect the large turn out of people. People were all pushing, especially the Indians and Chinese and some locals from the countryside. A lot of ang mohs were fed up and including us, we kept shouting at the locals to not push and squeeze.

At 11:55, my partner and I were at the outdoor area just infront of the main gate, 1 Thai old uncle just squeezed all his way through, and there are steps in front of us, he lost balance and fell, people behind us kept pushing and both of us fell onto the uncle. Orbit goot for pushing us la. End up he lost his glasses and people stepped on it. I scrapped my knees but luckily nothing major happened and we were able to enjoy the fireworks.

It took us 1.5 hours, with lots of shouting, squeezing and pushing to squeeze back to the pier area after the fireworks. Finally managed to take the ferry at around 01:45 and reach BTS station around 2am.

A few people fainted or were feeling dizzy and had to be attended to. We scolded the media, as they were pushing their way through in order to take photos of the Thai celebs, one of them being Nadech Kugimiya . Overall, it is a good experience but hopefully, next year will be a better one.

The staff started to disperse the crowd and letting people go towards the pier batch by batch after 1.5 hours, which I felt was a bit too late.

Expected chaos will happen everywhere.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

10pm I don't think there will be good spot.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

BTS still operating at 2am local time ?

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seriously. What do you expect when you go countdown? Anywhere in the world is the same.

Posted from PCWX using Nexus 5

holidayforever

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seriously. What do you expect when you go countdown? Anywhere in the world is the same.

I am not complaining about too many people, I am talking about the crowd control measures that were taken were inadequate, that is a different thing. I been to countdown at MBS the year before and it was orderly, with Cisco auxiliary police controlling the crowd and dispersing people, fencing areas and making sure the holding areas are large enough for the expected number of people.

Iconsiam case is like they are expecting 10,000 people to come but the measures only meant for 9,000 people, end up more like 30,000 came so everyone else were all fed up including the locals.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not complaining about too many people, I am talking about the crowd control measures that were taken were inadequate, that is a different thing. I been to countdown at MBS the year before and it was orderly, with Cisco auxiliary police controlling the crowd and dispersing people, fencing areas and making sure the holding areas are large enough for the expected number of people.

Iconsiam case is like they are expecting 10,000 people to come but the measures only meant for 9,000 people, end up more like 30,000 came so everyone else were all fed up including the locals.

Okay. Don't go no problem lo. Or lower your expectations.

Belial

Reaction score
last time i went, the cineplex offering 50% tickets for all movies every wednesday, not sure if the offer still have or not.

kurtgoh

Master Member
Reaction score

i was there..

totally understand what you gone through..

in fact, we came very early.. like 8pm but once alighted from BTS, we are already stuck..
dont forget the free ferry to cross over..

yes, its very poor control..

around 11pm, i'm still no where near.. hence decided to take taxi back..

back to iconsiam, yes.
its nice but only worth going once or twice.
very expensive :s13:

yanbobb92

Reaction score
ICONSiam is worth visiting, very much.

However, things there are generally very expensive.

Meals and drinks cost significantly more than that from your average chatuchak meal.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.